OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 02:10:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somali Christian resources  (Read 2041 times) Average Rating: 0
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« on: November 17, 2011, 11:20:14 PM »

Hello all,

This is probably not the right place for this topic, so if any moderator wants to move it I won't object, but I just wanted to pass along some links to resources about Christianity and Christians in Somalia and Christians of Somali ethnicity/background around the world. While they are surely not canonically Orthodox, they are certainly within that sphere of influence for historical and geographic reasons, and you may notice that proper respect and homage is paid to HH Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria at the first page. Wacnaan! (Excellent!)

Somalis for Jesus (in English and Somali)
Nolosha Cusub website, with some nice Somali Christian songs from "Codadka Iftiinka" (Voice of Light) group (apparently this website is very popular among Somali Christians; see Jimma Times interview with operator, below)
Somali Masiixi (Somali Lutherans; in Somali)
Somali Christian Ministries: Converts' stories, songs, apologetics (in English and Somali)
Interview with Hassan, Somali Christian operator of "Nolosha Cusub" website, in Jimma Times newspaper (Ethiopia) (in English)
Somali Mission (in English and Somali)
Somali Christians Facebook page

I can't help but notice a few interesting things from the above links:

-The respect paid to HH Pope Shenouda III and recognition of some level of solidarity with the Coptic Orthodox Church! Yeah, I know I mentioned it already, but it deserves a second mention. Smiley
- The Nolosha Cusub website songs include one to or about the Theotokos (I don't speak Somali so I don't know, but you don't really need to speak Somali to know what "Maryaamoo" means)
- Apparently the Facebook site is run by or with help from a Somali Christian in Norway. It is very interesting to consider that -- since we hear so much about the influx of Muslims from the Middle East and Africa who are transforming Europe and making it more Islamic -- Europe is certainly also having an effect on immigrants who, if people of faith are brave enough to try to make connections with them, can certainly be shown the true faith and leave Islam.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 02:35:39 AM »

Thank you, it's pretty interesting. Prayers for them and the Christian communities.  angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 04:25:32 AM »

It is very interesting to consider that -- since we hear so much about the influx of Muslims from the Middle East and Africa who are transforming Europe and making it more Islamic

I believe many, even most of the immigrants are Christians. Many Europeans just doesn't realize that there are Christians outside of Europe and Americas. And then again multicultural policy seems to have been transformed into institutional woosing of Muslims while forgetting that all Muslims are not that religious and that every immigrant from Middle East and from Africa is not a Muslim at all.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:25:46 AM by Alpo » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:29:24 PM »

Thank you, this is indeed very interesting. May the Lord be with all who labor in His Name in Somalia and all predominantly Muslim countries.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »

Was Somalia, and for that matter Djibouti, ever a part of Ethiopia? Were its people ever Christian?

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:13:50 PM »

thanks, brother, awesome resources again!
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 12:06:24 PM »

Was Somalia, and for that matter Djibouti, ever a part of Ethiopia? Were its people ever Christian?

It depends on who you ask, really. For those who subscribe to the idea of "Greater Somalia" and pan-Somalianism, then the answer would most certainly have to be yes, because that would include a large chunk of Ethiopia proper which, while perhaps dominated by Somalis and other Muslim ethnic groups now, has always had and continues to have Christian people in it (Ethiopian author Nega Mezlekia, born in Jijiga in the Somali region, writes a little bit about this in his memoir, Notes from the Hyena's Belly. Jijiga, the region's capital, is apparently 24% Amhara, the vast majority of which are Christian no matter where they reside).

If you're talking about Somali people as an ethnic group, then I'm not sure. I would guess not, but as Somalis are famous for their claim to be the world's only 100% Muslim ethnic group, I don't think that we'll ever really know if their pre-Islamic beliefs included any form of Christianity. Some people claim that particular Somali clans were originally Jews. Somali historians generally admit to a kind of local henotheism called "Waaq" (named after the supreme god of that belief system). Interestingly, if you look this up on Wikipedia (under "Somali mythology"), even though the resulting page is clear that this was the Somali belief system before Islam, if you click through that page on "Waaq", it will lead you to a page that claims that Waaq was the pre-Islamic belief system of the Oromo people. The Oromo are not only not Somalis (though they do speak a closely related language), but they are concentrated primarily in Ethiopia and before the time of Ahmed Gragn were primarily Orthodox Christian (they still have a significant Christian population today). I don't know if this is an attempt to whitewash the pre-Islamic history of the Somalis, or the Oromo, or what...

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:19:27 PM »

Thanks, dzheremi!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 08:33:38 AM »

I'm sorry to ressurect an old thread but it seems more fitting to resurrect one that starting yet another thread.

Are there Orthodox Somalis? Has any EO or OO local church ever tried to spread Orthodoxy amongst Somalis?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:33:55 AM by Alpo » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: