OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The destinations of the Apostles  (Read 1226 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:44:58 AM »

I enjoy reading about the lives of the saints. As I understand, the Apostles traveled far and wide to preach the Gospel. These are the destinations I can recall:

St. Thomas- India
St. James- Spain & other pts. Europe
St. Andrew- pts. of Europe
Sts. Peter and Paul- Asia Minor, pts. Europe

Would anyone happen to know where the others traveled to? I am thinking of the Twelve, and those we know of from the Seventy as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:18:48 AM »

Saint Bartholomew comes to mind as the first Apostle to Armenia.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:19:14 AM »

Saint Mark to Egypt and Pentapolis.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:19:41 AM »

Saint John is associated with Asia Minor.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 06:31:52 AM »

Thank you.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:05:39 AM »

Sure!

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:06:25 AM »

I will just say that Wikipedia has some evidence on it that St. James son of Zebedee never actually got out of Jerusalem.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

Faith: In transition to the Russian old Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Strong Russian Old Pomorsky (Stranniki)

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »

Good health to everyone,

If we look over the first sermon of St. Chrysostom's homilies on the Holy Gospel of St. Matthew we will find him saying that the early Church believed the Apostle's fulfilled the Great Commission, going to the whole world all within their lifetimes. There should be no problem finding an English translation online.

Forgive, brother John
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:35:02 PM by Hopeful Faithful » Logged

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »

St. Philip went with St. Nathaniel (Bartholomew) to Syria, Greece and Phrygia in Asia Minor. He was martyred in Hierapolis.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »

Can anyone point to more info on the alleged quote of St. Chrysostom that says the Apostles went to the whole world?  We have no evidence or stories (to my knowledge) that they ever got to Japan or South Africa, or Indonesia, let alone Australia, New Zealand, or the Americas.  If the Saint did in fact say this, I think he was most mistaken.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »

Ss. Peter and Paul -> Rome  Grin
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 09:59:42 AM »

Can anyone point to more info on the alleged quote of St. Chrysostom that says the Apostles went to the whole world?  We have no evidence or stories (to my knowledge) that they ever got to Japan or South Africa, or Indonesia, let alone Australia, New Zealand, or the Americas.  If the Saint did in fact say this, I think he was most mistaken.
Was he more mistaken than St Luke? (chapter 2, verse 1, NKJV) "And it came to pass in those days that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered."
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »

This link might be of interest here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=201812973222981115902.0004a34723ee4dfea9853&ll=34.307144,44.648438&spn=49.886688,74.707031&z=3&source=embed
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »

Well St. Luke would more directly be talking about "all the world" as in, all of the Roman Empire - seeing as how Caesar Augustus had no authority to demand (nor probably the desire to) registration of all of China for example.  That's one reason I wanted St. Chysostom's quote if he in fact said anything like that, so that I can see if in context it refers to all of the known world, or even specifically all of the Roman Empire.

genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 02:17:20 PM »

Well St. Luke would more directly be talking about "all the world" as in, all of the Roman Empire - seeing as how Caesar Augustus had no authority to demand (nor probably the desire to) registration of all of China for example.  That's one reason I wanted St. Chysostom's quote if he in fact said anything like that, so that I can see if in context it refers to all of the known world, or even specifically all of the Roman Empire.
Yes, what you say is true that the reference is to "all the (Roman) world". However, St Luke did not amend that in any way, so unless he was being sarcastic - not likely! - he used the same terminology, meaning, really the world as it was known by him at the time.

We do the same thing ourselves. How often have parents heard, "But everybody is doing it!" We crown Miss/Mr Universe - how many contestants arrived in a space vehicle?

We tend to see things from our own perspective. That isn't wrong and isn't a mistake. Please note that what I take exception to is your suggestion that in this matter St John Chrysostom might have been "most mistaken". Of course, there's nothing wrong in your trying to establish the exact quote from the Saint to understand better his message. I hope you do track it down and report back to us. I'd be interested, too.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 02:52:24 PM »

I do not in any way intend to suggest that I actually think St. Chrysostom was wrong (I should probably have been clearer, sometimes things don't exactly get communicated well over the internet), I admire him greatly.  Rather, I suppose I assumed that the poster I was responding to - based on some past posts of his on other issues - may have interpreted whatever he claims the Saint said, as being quite literal, and was responding from that angle.  If St. Chrysostom really did mean that the Apostles traveled over the entire world spreading the Gospel, I think we would have to say that he was in fact wrong, given that there is no reason - to my knowledge - to think that they even traveled over all of Eurasia and Africa, let alone to North and South America.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »

I recall from Acts that Barnabas took Mark and went to Cyprus.  I don't recall what he did thereafter.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:59:29 PM by Gamliel » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »

On CCEL, all St. Chrysostom's homilies on Matthew Chapter 28 only address verses 11-14, not the Great Commission, so I really have no idea where this quote is even supposed to be, unless someone can tell me that CCEL is incomplete.

Tags: apostles  preaching  travels 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: