OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:35:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free-for-all tea thread!  (Read 5617 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 03:34:22 PM »

Nice varietals and pics deusveritasest!

Smiley

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »

My favorite is Green Pu-Erh tea.

Interesting. I've tried black pu-erh but not green pu-erh.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »

Pu-Erh is the beginning of tea neurosis and leads one down the same road of madness of oenophilia.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »

Pu-Erh is the beginning of tea neurosis and leads one down the same road of madness of oenophilia.

But it makes you feel hip and foreign.  Cry

Interesting. I've tried black pu-erh but not green pu-erh.
The Green is not fermented very long and has an almost citrusy taste, while maintaining the ridiculously high caffeine content and potency of Pu-Erh.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:40:29 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »

What does the black pu-erh taste like?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »

Old bark or forest floor, the first time you try it.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:41:07 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »

Earthy. I get in the mood for it sometimes but not all that often. It's pretty eccentric.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »

That's pretty hardcore! I once tried a bark tea (can't remember what type) and I couldn't take a third sip.

Oh wait, slippery elm bark tea is pretty great, though. At least it is very soothing for a sore throat.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »

That's pretty hardcore! I once tried a bark tea (can't remember what type) and I couldn't take a third sip.

Oh wait, slippery elm bark tea is pretty great, though. At least it is very soothing for a sore throat.
Shocked

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »

Varies widely. Depends how the region, fermentation process, year, how long it has been aged. Some general comments can be made, but it really is like oenophilia. It starts to approach something you do not drink "to drink" but to appreciate, even if that appreciation is something that tastes like moss-covered cedar with hints of clay and three day old raccoon carcass.

But what you are going to get for less than hundreds or thousands of dollars per ounce ain't going to be too complex Wink.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:49:06 PM by orthonorm » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »

Jasmine, jasmine, and every once in a while I'll have jasmine.  I also like Thai iced tea (don't know exactly what it is but its red-orangeish and has some form of sweet condensed milk in it.  I also like very heavy black tea with cream and sugar some times.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2011, 04:16:04 PM »

Jasmine, jasmine, and every once in a while I'll have jasmine.  I also like Thai iced tea (don't know exactly what it is but its red-orangeish and has some form of sweet condensed milk in it. 
Ah, that's the good stuff.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »

Milk and tea = weird. Or any dairy for that matter.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »

I consort with none who imbibe "bubble tea". There ain't much I won't eat, but that stuff is of the devil.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »

I like most teas but am fascinated by the Indian Masala Chai that I get at my favorite Indian restaurant.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »

Green tea frappuccino?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »

I'm drinking this right now:

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »

I usually drink green tea with some agave nectar added for sweetness. Some mornings I do the Irish Breakfast tea as posted above...
Also, I got hooked on chai while I was in Iraq. One of the Iraqi Police chiefs would always bring out the chai any time I showed up at his station, mainly because I was the only one who would actually sit and drink the stuff with him - the rest of my squad thought it was too hot to drink tea  Huh

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 06:37:29 PM »

I like most teas but am fascinated by the Indian Masala Chai that I get at my favorite Indian restaurant.
I have some Nepalese (probably identical) chai powder... it's awesome. You can cook with it or put it in drinks, either way, it's good!

Plus, the only good drink that has black pepper in it.  Smiley

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »

We drink a number of different teas; despite their variety of flavors, sources, and presentations, I still gravitate back to Constant Comment as my favorite (with honey, and sometimes Metaxa).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »

I like earl green and earl white teas a great deal.

My kids are big tea fans as well now. They aren't given straight juice real often. Normally I mix half juice with half green and earl grey tea for them. This drastically cuts down on the sweetness and it tastes wonderful. It also nips any sugar cravings in the bud very quickly.

The Vashon Monks now offer tea AND coffee if you are looking for an Orthodox source for good tea.

http://www.vashonmonks.com/
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »

Quinault, mixing tea with juice sounds amazing. I need to replace my Pepsi craving, but I finish juice way too quickly. Cutting the juice with tea should do the trick!

--
--
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2011, 11:10:16 PM »

This time of year my tea must be iced.  Anymore I like it unsweetened and cooled.  The one fancy grocery near here sells loose teas of mass varieties, one smells like a campfire and I like it, can't remember the name...
I like roobis, not tea but herbs and good!

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »

Most brands of Earl Grey (black tea more generally, no green, red, white...), sugared, no lemon.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:19:14 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2011, 11:40:05 PM »

This time of year my tea must be iced.  Anymore I like it unsweetened and cooled.  The one fancy grocery near here sells loose teas of mass varieties, one smells like a campfire and I like it, can't remember the name...

Most likely Lapsang Souchong, one of my favorites, especially suited to crisp autumn days as the perfect pick-me-up.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2011, 12:17:38 AM »

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »

No offense to some, but green tea is about as appealing to me as green meat.  

Have you prepared green tea properly? And there are many varietials. With some varietials, you only steep for 45 seconds maybe at 165F.

With your non-fermented teas, you do need a decent thermometer (better yet a thermocouple) to get a knack of how long it takes the boiling water to cool (and yes cooled boiled water is better than water heated just to the right temp) and a careful eye on the clock.

I've disabused many of their distaste for the greens by proper prep and using less "grassy" varietials.

Don't tempt me.  I have enough time/space consuming, eccentric hobbies and interests as is.  A thermocouple?  Was that what was broken on the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive?

Plus, I'm pretty content with my black teas.  That said, I'll plead ignorance on the green tea front, and refrain from saying anything else bad about them.  Perhaps if I make it to the S. Ohio meetup, I'll take you up on the lesson.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2011, 12:43:38 AM »

Most likely Lapsang Souchong, one of my favorites, especially suited to crisp autumn days as the perfect pick-me-up.
Mmm, Campfire in a Cup!  Cheesy

Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2011, 12:45:01 AM »

Has anyone tried any of the blooming teas? They look so beautiful, but I can't justify the expense for our family of 6.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2011, 12:48:52 AM »

^ They are very beautiful in the pot, but to me, I feel like I am drinking perfume. Some of them are very strong. Jasmine is my favorite, though. I recall even seeing some of them in Target for about $15 for 10 or so. Not too bad for a novelty thing, especially if you brew a glass pot of tea when guests are over or when you are celebrating something.

--
--
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2011, 01:14:15 AM »

I'm guessing the tea type of the flavor is matcha?

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2011, 01:59:06 AM »

I was just drinking this:

It's a black tea infused with cardamom.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »

Yes, and it's good and sugary!

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2011, 08:49:30 PM »

The color looks unreal!

And the whipped cream = sin.   police That's somewhere in the Bible, but I'm too busy to find and cite it right now.

--
--
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »

Good-unreal or bad-unreal?

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »

Just unreal. I would totally try it if I wasn't lactose intolerant -- there's milk in it, right?

--
--
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »

Yes, but they could do soy for you, I'm sure!

This is a happiness-inducing thread, haha.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2011, 09:15:45 PM »

Mmm, now I am craving iced Tazo tea from Starbucks.

Tea is always happiness-inducing. Nothing like a hot liquid searing your internal organs!c Grin

--
--
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »

When it was available I liked Vietnamese. When that dried up Mexican or Domestic.

Then when I got older in my mid thirties, it just made me paranoid and I coughed a lot so I gave it up.

Now I drink coffee

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »

Yes, and it's good and sugary!

Yeah, I love matcha flavored sweets too.

We have Peet's Coffee and Tea here and I think they do an even better matcha frap.  Smiley

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »

I was just drinking this about an hour ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Ceylon-Zarrin-Loose-500g/dp/B000LQOJ9G

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »

The box makes it look quite enticing. I'd like some, as well.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »

I heard there was such a thing as Green Rooibos; that's Rooibos that hasn't been oxidized and looks like grass clippings.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=green+rooibos&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=933&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

still want to try it someday...

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2011, 10:15:45 PM »

How does it compare with Ahmad's Ceylon (which I love)?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »

The box makes it look quite enticing. I'd like some, as well.

I got it at a local Middle Eastern food market.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: