OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 04:46:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assignment: Wounded by Love The Life and Wisdom of Elder Phorphyrios  (Read 2010 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« on: May 29, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »

Week 1 - Pages ix -48
(Chapters (Part 1) The Path to the Holy Mountain, The Holy Mountain - Kavsokalyvia, and Evia)

Discussion

Week 2 - Pages 49 - 83
(Chapters (Part 1 con't) The Polyclinic Hospital in Athens, Saint Nicholas at Kallisa, The Holy Monastery of the Transfiguration at Milesi, and Kavsokalyvia - 1991)

Discussion

Week 3 - Pages 87 - 133
(Chapters (Part 2) On the Church, The Devine Eros, On Prayer)

Discussion

Week 4 - Pages 134 - 172
(Chapters (Part 2 con't) On Spiritual Struggle, On the Monastic Life)

Discussion

Week 5 - Pages 173 - 211
(Chapters (Part 2 con't) On the Mystery of Repentance, On Love for One's Neighbour, On Divine Providence, On the Upbringing of Children)

Discussion

Week 6 - Pages 212 - 251
(Capters (Part 2 con't) On the Disposition of the Heart, On Creation, On Illness, On the Gift of Clear Sight and (Appendix) St. John the Hut-dweller, The Skete of Kavsokalyvia

Considering this as a spiritual book and something worth taking the time to mediate and chew on for a bit, I'm not placing 'dates' as it were here - but just a chapter outline to keep all of us on the same page.  The 'weeks' and 'discussions' are tentative as needed, with the recognition that discussion on a certain aspect can take how ever long it needs to take while reading continues. 

Next Sunday, after Liturgy, I'll post a few questions - please also feel free to post your own questions, as well, as this will open discussion up to a depth only one person cannot reach.  Please keep all questions and posts under the same Chapter / Week - so that the discussion is not lost.  Please quote the question in answering your response.  I will tag each post as "Wounded by Love" so that they are easy to find with the Title and Week number in the Subject line.

Lord have mercy on us! 

Amen.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Thank you for your work. I hope to have my copy sometime by midweek.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »

Christ is Risen!

I know there are a couple others that are also waiting for the delivery of their books - perhaps it would be worth starting 'week one' next weekend?  If any of you who are waiting on your books - or already have your book - if you would like to wait a week or do not mind waiting for the others, please reply here and let me know what your thoughts are.  I am willing to wait if it will be of benefit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:52:54 PM by quietmorning » Logged

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »

I also haven't received the book yet. I will be away from from home June 3-11, though I will try to find a way to log on and participate.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »

Christ is Risen!

I know there are a couple others that are also waiting for the delivery of their books - perhaps it would be worth starting 'week one' next weekend?  If any of you who are waiting on your books - or already have your book - if you would like to wait a week or do not mind waiting for the others, please reply here and let me know what your thoughts are.  I am willing to wait if it will be of benefit.

This ain't The Phenomenology of Spirit, so if you get the text within this week, the reading should be easy to manage, especially to get the topic started.

No need to delay here.

Not saying you can't read it carefully, but the excerpts I've read are rather straightforward and simple.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 01:46:01 AM »

Quote from: quietmorning

You may start when you wish; I can always catch up.  Smiley Thank you.
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:15:08 AM »

Good deal, starting, now, then.

Smiley 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags: Wounded by Love  
Pages: 1   Go Up