OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 01:14:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anglobapticostal  (Read 1025 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »

I'm hoping the answer is no but can you get a mix of Orthodox and something else say reformed?? So like someone could be a mix of both in their beliefs. I have read ppl are anglobapticostal to try and show what they believe... so can Orthodox beliefs and doctrine be mixed with other Christian beliefs successfully?? Or would that be badly heretical?? Thanks Popps

OH also what about the Holy Catholic and Apostolic church.... that Catholic in there don't mean the same as Catholic as in Roman Catholic does it?? There are different definitions about it online.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »

I'm hoping the answer is no but can you get a mix of Orthodox and something else say reformed?? So like someone could be a mix of both in their beliefs. I have read ppl are anglobapticostal to try and show what they believe... so can Orthodox beliefs and doctrine be mixed with other Christian beliefs successfully?? Or would that be badly heretical?? Thanks Popps
As long as those beliefs aren't heretical there is a great deal of leeway. That said it would be a mine field. Every protestant denomination holds to beliefs considered heretical. For example the "reformed" Churches hold to Calvinism, a belief system replete with heresy.

OH also what about the Holy Catholic and Apostolic church.... that Catholic in there don't mean the same as Catholic as in Roman Catholic does it?? There are different definitions about it online.
We apply the same meaning to it the RC's do, as the Church always has. Those different definitions are all rather modern innovations.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:10:32 PM by Kasatkin fan » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »

I'm hoping the answer is no but can you get a mix of Orthodox and something else say reformed??
No.  The Orthodox faith never veered from the Apostolic teachings so there is nothing to be reformed.

I have read ppl are anglobapticostal to try and show what they believe...
It's more than likely that said people are either confused or do not really understand what they believe.  Either way, such a concept doesn't exist in Orthodoxy because it is already complete and adheres to the fullness (katholikos-catholic) of the faith.

OH also what about the Holy Catholic and Apostolic church.... that Catholic in there don't mean the same as Catholic as in Roman Catholic does it??
That's what it means to Roman Catholics.  But to Orthodox Christians, we believe that it implies to us and only to us.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:55:15 PM »

Why would one seek to muddy the True Faith with the heresies of man?

Awed by the beauty of your virginity
and the exceeding radiance of your purity,
Gabriel stood amazed, and cried to you, O Mother of God:
"What praise may I offer you
that is worthy of your beauty?"
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:18:54 PM »

Catholic is the English transliteration of the Greek katholiki, which is said to derive from kata-(h)olos -- meaning "according to the whole", and therefore "whole", "full", "lacking in nothing", "universal".

Both the Roman church and the Orthodox church claim to be the one holy, catholic and apostolic Church founded by Christ, so, in that sense, the word means the same to us as it does to them, but we are not claiming to be Roman Catholics when we recite the creed.

Does that help?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 06:06:56 AM »

Yeah it all helps
cheers matey

Popps
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 06:25:36 AM »

No.  The Orthodox faith never veered from the Apostolic teachings so there is nothing to be reformed.

There is more to what goes on in church than just the Tradition. Why would the extra not be reformable?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:33:05 AM »

What "extra"??
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »

What "extra"??

Is this a serious question?

You think parish councils are part of the Tradition of the Church?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »

YES its a serious friken question!!....do you see a winky emoticon at the end of the sentence? ? ?

Maybe you can just answer it and tell me what you meant rather then answering with another question of your own.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »

What "extra"??

Sort of...Acts 6:1-5: "Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, the Hellenists murmured against the Hebrews because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution. And the twelve summoned the body of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. Therefore, brethren, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this duty. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word." And what they said pleased the whole multitude, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch."
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 05:38:37 PM »

Maybe you can just answer it and tell me what you meant rather then answering with another question of your own.

My original post was pretty straightforward. Many aspects of what is done within the Church is not the Apostolic Tradition and should be capable of reformation.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »

What "extra"??

Sort of...Acts 6:1-5: "Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, the Hellenists murmured against the Hebrews because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution. And the twelve summoned the body of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. Therefore, brethren, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this duty. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word." And what they said pleased the whole multitude, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch."

What does the passage about Deacons have to do with parish councils?

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »

My original post was pretty straightforward. Many aspects of what is done within the Church is not the Apostolic Tradition and should be capable of reformation.

What this is straightforward to someone who don't know anything much about your church???
"You think parish councils are part of the Tradition of the Church?"

I have no idea what parish councils or traditions are im not from any church background or any religion ever!! So when i ask you "What extra??" you should just answer the question straight instead of acting like a knob!!!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »

What this is straightforward to someone who don't know anything much about your church???

I have no idea what parish councils or traditions are im not from any church background or any religion ever!! So when i ask you "What extra??" you should just answer the question straight instead of acting like a knob!!!

Well, I apologize if you got the impression that I was treated you like you should know this, however, I was originally addressing Gabriel.

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 06:31:11 AM »

Well, I apologize if you got the impression that I was treated you like you should know this, however, I was originally addressing Gabriel.

There's a OP and it was started by me. Whoever jumps in is fine and even if they have a convo about their own thing that's fine too.... that's what threads are all about and sometimes the tangents and secondary discussions are interesting.... but don't think you can just carry on a convo with your lil buddy and not expect me to ask what your going on about!!! If you want that sort of convo then start your own thread.

Haha... your apologising because I got the wrong impression??? lolOl too funny
Save that sort of apology for someone who fell out the stupid tree and hit all the branches
Anyways....lets forget it and move on.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 08:20:55 AM »

What "extra"??

What does the passage about Deacons have to do with parish councils?

The distinction between the role of the presbyter and others from the laity who were chosen to due tasks not directly related to the ministry of the presbyters was foreshadowed to an extent by this passage. That's all. I am certainly NOT equating the typical parish council of our times to the first Deacons.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »

Deusveritatest--Convert Issues is not an appropriate place to start discussing faith issues. If you cannot refrain from arguing a point that has nothing to do with a potential convert's questions, would you please take it to another section or start another topic, if you are approaching it from a petential convert POV? Thanks, Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 03:38:30 PM »

Deusveritatest--Convert Issues is not an appropriate place to start discussing faith issues. If you cannot refrain from arguing a point that has nothing to do with a potential convert's questions, would you please take it to another section or start another topic, if you are approaching it from a petential convert POV? Thanks, Second Chance

I don't understand. What I was talking about had everything to do with the OP:

I'm hoping the answer is no but can you get a mix of Orthodox and something else say reformed??
 You have been posting here long enough to know that questioning and discussing the moderators' directives in public is not acceptable. You are put under 30-day-long post moderation. You can appeal to Veniamin if you want to - Michał Kalina.

Tags: mixed faith 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: