OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 06:45:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Horror Punk  (Read 2600 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: May 29, 2011, 04:35:11 AM »

I found this really cool horror punk song, The Garden by The Creepshow. I really like this song, and I found some other songs that they did were interesting, but one seemed a bit more lyrically friendly with Satan. Are there any horror punk bands that you know of who, while maybe darker than some, are primarily compatible with a Christian worldview?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:35:45 AM »

Try the later Misfits- Jerry Only started getting really into Christianity in the late 80s going so far as to start a Christian metal band called Kryst the Conqueror.  He later dropped that idea, reformed the Misfits with less questionable lyric content.

YMMV on the quality of the work vs early Misfits.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »

What is YMMV?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »

What is YMMV?
"you make me vomit"

Proverbs 22:7
Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »

umm.... no. police YMMV= your mileage may vary
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:07:05 PM by findingfaith » Logged

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »

Yeah, the latter one.  A lot of early Misfits (or old school punk fans like myself)fans don't really dig the newer non-Danzig version of the band.  The Michael Graves era albums aren't bad, though, in my opinion.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »

Yeah, the latter one.  A lot of early Misfits (or old school punk fans like myself)fans don't really dig the newer non-Danzig version of the band.  The Michael Graves era albums aren't bad, though, in my opinion.

yea i gotta say i love the early misfits when they were just doing punk.  not a big fan of their later non-punk stuff.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »

YMMV on the quality of the work vs early Misfits.

I learned how to play guitar by reading the tabs to She.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »

Quote from: Melodist

Yes! I learned how to play bass from their songs.   Grin
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »

Quote from: Melodist
Yes! I learned how to play bass from their songs.   Grin

Ditto.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

these recommendations are from my gutter punk homie from Church, none of the punk from my collection is appropriate for this forum Wink

here is some real Christian Horror Punk
The Deadlines
Graverobbers
Blaster the Rocketman

aside from them here are some various authentic Christian crust/chaos punk and hardcore

the Lead (these dudes are BAD, serious chaos)
Empty Tomb (as are these dudes)
The Crucified
the Lead
World Against World
Chasm
Headnoise
Scaterd Few

oi oi

stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:23:16 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »

One of my army buddies (former Ranger and all that other hooah stuff) likes the earlier Misfits but doesn't care for Danzig all that much...

I honestly don't know that much in the way of what could be compatible with Christianity, but I do know a lot of would not be...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 11:04:53 PM »

none of the punk from my collection is appropriate for this forum Wink

Please tell me you're a Bad Brains guy, or is that too obvious?  Grin

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »

Have you read the metal thread on OC.net?  Huh Smiley

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 11:09:29 PM »

My favorite band with a "horror" theme would probably be Germany's The Vision Bleak, though perhaps they're more on the metal side of things.

Here's a great Lovecraftian song by them, "The Shining Trapezohedron":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVTMjbazJq8

"Descent into Maelstrom"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKvl-yvxYp8
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:10:37 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 11:11:42 PM »

I'm not really familiar with "Horror" Punk; does it blend into Psychobilly at all? 

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »

I'm not really familiar with "Horror" Punk; does it blend into Psychobilly at all? 

A little bit.  Horror punk and psychobilly use many similar lyrical themes and both typically have a love for 50's oldies chord and melody structures.  Horror punk goes the more stripped down power-chordy early hardcore route, though.

The Horror Pops (Kim Nekroman's [of psychobilly group Nekromantix]other band) could be considered horror punk when they're not being rockabilly or new wave.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »

Thanks for the explanation.  I can't keep up, but then again, I always had loads of qualifications and labels that determined which stuff I listened to. 

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 12:17:52 AM »

Have you read the metal thread on OC.net?  Huh Smiley
I'm an Eminem fan who listens to Emilee Autumn's pleasant and dark lyrics. You gotta define appropriate for me. Personally, I just don't want to hear God directly insulted or Satan/hell openly praised. E.G. Some Seether songs are good, but the band is not.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 12:36:35 AM »

LMBO! Good one, Tallit!  When it comes to this type of music, I'm gonna go with your understanding.  But I'm sure not everybody likes country music either.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 07:18:15 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Please tell me you're a Bad Brains guy, or is that too obvious?  Grin

actually bad brains is rather tame compared to a lot of what I used to listen to and what I still dig into from time to time. I was a crust/anarcho/chaos punk when I was a youth, and that music is very hostile, aggressive, extremely political, and even rather nihilistic.  It is a universality amongst punks to be bitterly atheistic in their approach as well, and so actually bands like Bad Brains and Rastafari in particular were very attractive cross-over cultures for me at the time, when I was a bit too ambitious a radical and needed something more akin to hope rather then anger. Being a punk made me very angry about the world, Rastafari gave me the answers to solve the problems through love and faith, and it directly carried me into Orthodox to find Salvation and Divine love for the world, to give back to what I was once so angry about.

I still love to get into a serious mosh pit at a good punk show, but I don't go to as many shows, lately only to bands with more integrity and intelligence amongst their lyrics and fans, not just mohawks and patches.  A pit is something else entirely, it is a primal human bonding experience like a group hunt of wolves, it is not anger or fighting, but it is aggressive.  It is not a fist fight, quite the opposite, in a good pit when people fall down everyone nearby goes out of the their way to pick em up, and most people in the circle are hugging, embracing, or leaning on each other as they slam dance around.  It is almost a kind of angry political liturgy, where the music has frothed the people into a moment of Dionysian frenzy but in coming together in the circle of the pit and the density of the crowd, the people combine for a moment as one mind, and all that anger and pessimism about the world evaporates into the bliss of unison, in the sense of belonging and knowing other people agree.  It is a release.. Even at Christian punk shows there are pits, and these pits serve a bit of the same purpose.

Of course, this is when it goes right, when a bunch of people thrash around things can go a bit wrong from time to time, especially of some folks have the wrong idea or intentions Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags: Horror punk horror punk music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: