OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 10:51:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fr. Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) supsended?  (Read 9631 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: May 28, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »

I've heard such gossips. Is that true?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »

The Decree of Suspension was issued by Metropolitan Hilarion and dated 23rd May. 
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 05:46:05 PM »

The Decree of Suspension was issued by Metropolitan Hilarion and dated 23rd May. 

What happens to Margaret's vocation then?

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »

Well, now the sad news has come to light. I hadn't wanted to say anything, but just pray and hope for my brother's soul.

I don't know why this suspension would affect Sister Margaret's vocation. If her confessions were being heard by phone, surely during the interval of the suspension, another priest would be willing?

I hope all will be resolved according to God's will, and Father's ministrations can resume at the time that may be possible.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »

Well, now the sad news has come to light. I hadn't wanted to say anything, but just pray and hope for my brother's soul.

I don't know why this suspension would affect Sister Margaret's vocation. If her confessions were being heard by phone, surely during the interval of the suspension, another priest would be willing?

I hope all will be resolved according to God's will, and Father's ministrations can resume at the time that may be possible.

Thank you...I will keep Father Michael and Margaret in prayer.

Mary

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »

I've heard such gossips.
You've also help spread it.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »

What happens to Margaret's vocation then?

I'm confused.  Why would her vocation be effected?

I'm very sorry to hear about the suspension.  I'm sure it was for good reason.  Lord have mercy!
Margaret S.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »

Thank you for your prayers for Fr Michael, he has been nothing but kindness to me and I too hope everything will be resolved soon.  Please don't worry about me. I am fine. I have a wonderful spiritual father, my equally excellent confessor is in my hometown and I am also blessed to have a monastic mentor - I am very, very well taken care of.

Margaret
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:13:25 PM by Margaret S. » Logged
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »

I'm glad that your plans haven't been Scotched.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »

Thank you for your prayers for Fr Michael, he has been nothing but kindness to me and I too hope everything will be resolved soon.  Please don't worry about me. I am fine. I have a wonderful spiritual father, my equally excellent confessor is in my hometown and I am also blessed to have a monastic mentor - I am very, very well taken care of.

Margaret

And you have a monastic family whom you have never met but since we became aware of these hassles we have been surrounding you with prayer.  A monk and nun never walks alone.
Margaret S.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 02:13:34 AM »

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

(sigh)  Smiley  thank you.
Margaret S.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 02:15:24 AM »

And you have a monastic family whom you have never met but since we became aware of these hassles we have been surrounding you with prayer.  A monk and nun never walks alone.

Thank you, Father, it is appreciated more than I can say.
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »

It is all relative  the priority of  things.  Tonight my wife was admitted to hospital because she is sick because her white blood cells are too low.  All I can do is kiss my children and pray to the Mother of God.

In relation to the subject of this topic,  I am saddened in my heart that it has come to this but nonetheless see it as an opportunity for what St. Benedict, the father of Western monasticism termed conversatio morum generally taken to mean conversion of manners.  In other words this sad event is an opportunity for life-changing personal spiritual growth.

I can only say that it has prompted me to pray with sincerity for Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) and  for the congregation at St. Dyfan in Hobart, as well as for the rest of the St. Petroc Monastery fellowship of missions and Paruchia entities.  It also prompts prayer for our beloved First Hierarch, Metropolitan Hilarion who issued the ukaze.  There is suffering in all of this.

This should be the subject of prayer and self-examination, not politics.  Today is the Sunday of the Blind Man.  Maybe there has been blindness in ecclesiastical politics - but the God-Saviour Jesus Christ can open eyes and heal.  

Archbishop Alypy of Chigao and Mid America wrote:

The past moves into the region of necessity: what has transpired, we cannot change, we cannot erase, and when the past is filled with sins, it serves as a special burden on the soul, and often determines the behavior of the person in the future. We cannot alter the past—that is a law of time. But the law of time is a physical law, while the spirit, as we said, does not submit to it, so in the spiritual plane, we can change the past. The Lord gives us this opportunity—the overcoming of the past, or better yet, the elimination of it—this occurs in the mystery of repentance. The mystery of repentance erases sins, and in this way, eliminates the occurrence of what is past. Earnest repentance severs the chain of sin which binds the past with the future, emancipating man from the burden of the past and grants him the opportunity to follow the path of virtue.

A miracle is the supreme manifestation of the victory of the spirit over physical causal necessity. And our Lord Jesus Christ showed us an example of this: He walked upon water, He healed the sick, He resurrected the dead. The mystery of repentance belongs to the class of such miracles, and the Lord grants this opportunity to each person.  
“Brethren, ye have been called unto liberty.” And so let us resist the sinful causal chain, severing it through repentance and through virtue partaking of spiritual freedom, and then Divine grace will perform in us another miracle—the salvation of our soul. Amen.

http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/engdocuments/enart_arbpalypyfreedom.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:26:13 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
IreneOlinyk

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »

In relation to the subject of this topic,  I am saddened in my heart that it has come to this but nonetheless see it as an opportunity for what St. Benedict, the father of Western monasticism termed conversatio morum generally taken to mean conversion of manners.  In other words this sad event is an opportunity for life-changing personal spiritual growth.

I can only say that it has prompted me to pray with sincerity for Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) and  for the congregation at St. Dyfan in Hobart, as well as for the rest of the St. Petroc Monastery fellowship of missions and Paruchia entities.  It also prompts prayer for our beloved First Hierarch, Metropolitan Hilarion who issued the ukaze.  There is suffering in all of this.

Thank you for your wise words.  Very helpful.  I am sure all of us here will be praying for your wife as well.  May God bless you and heal your wife.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 04:48:08 PM »

In relation to the subject of this topic,  I am saddened in my heart that it has come to this but nonetheless see it as an opportunity for what St. Benedict, the father of Western monasticism termed conversatio morum generally taken to mean conversion of manners.  In other words this sad event is an opportunity for life-changing personal spiritual growth.

I can only say that it has prompted me to pray with sincerity for Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) and  for the congregation at St. Dyfan in Hobart, as well as for the rest of the St. Petroc Monastery fellowship of missions and Paruchia entities.  It also prompts prayer for our beloved First Hierarch, Metropolitan Hilarion who issued the ukaze.  There is suffering in all of this.

Thank you for your wise words.  Very helpful.  I am sure all of us here will be praying for your wife as well.  May God bless you and heal your wife.

Amen.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »

I was going to ask whether it was on the rocks?

In XC,

Deacon Philip
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 10:18:13 AM »

I was going to ask whether it was on the rocks?

Tongue  groan

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »

Where are the details of this suspension and on what basis was it enacted?

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »

I can be reached privately regarding this matter, and can provide the details. I have the document (a copy, as a graphic file). However, I don't think it's good to speak about such things in public. And not because the suspension involved something which would be greatly shocking to the public, or anything illegal. It was nothing like that; it mainly had to do with Fr. Michael having said things he was warned to stop saying, about certain people, and even after a serious written warning from the Metropolitan he violated those instructions and kept saying things.

So, fairly boring.

Fr. Aidan+  sinner
cell 512 696 6890
Holy Protection Russian Orthodox Church, Austin, Texas
http://www.orthodoxaustin.org
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 04:13:30 PM »

Regarding the Scotch mission being on the rocks, or not, at first I was shaken, thinking how sad it would be, if it were to fail. But then I was stirred to action by Sister Margaret's words. So how do I feel now, after the lapse of a few days? Not shaken, but stirred.
Margaret S.

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »

Regarding the Scotch mission being on the rocks, or not, at first I was shaken, thinking how sad it would be, if it were to fail. But then I was stirred to action by Sister Margaret's words. So how do I feel now, after the lapse of a few days? Not shaken, but stirred.

Fr Aidan and Deacon Philip... I am so glad you have finally met each other. It makes me so happy when my new friends and my old friends click so perfectly  Roll Eyes Smiley

As for Fr Michael, he is a good man, a good friend and a good priest and I am sure everything will be alright soon.

best wishes,
Sr Margaret
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »

Where are the details of this suspension and on what basis was it enacted?

Briefly and specifically....

Warning issued 5 May:

1. Repeated defamation of brother clergy

2. Interference in the Western Rite in America

Decree of Suspension issued 23 May:

Suspension imposed for continuing public defamation after Warning.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:52:29 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »

However, I don't think it's good to speak about such things in public.

In the Australian diocese Episcopal Decrees concerning clergy are published in the diocesan magazine "Tserkovnoe Slovo."  I imagine it is necessary for clergy and laity to be aware of changed status of clergy so everything is done "decently and in good order" and so that mistakes do not occur.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 05:03:04 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 07:21:53 AM »

However, I don't think it's good to speak about such things in public.

In the Australian diocese Episcopal Decrees concerning clergy are published in the diocesan magazine "Tserkovnoe Slovo."  I imagine it is necessary for clergy and laity to be aware of changed status of clergy so everything is done "decently and in good order" and so that mistakes do not occur.
I think it appropriate to reply on the decisions, judgment and integrity of the Church, and to pray for Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) and for the diocesan authorities in Australia.

My prayers are also for the Orthodox of Hobart who have been affected by this, for those seeking to build bridges between the Byzantine and Western rites and for my own parish which has no resident priest.
Happy Ascension Day to all.  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:25:58 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:02 AM »

I've noticed that the Suspension of Fr Michael Mansbridge-Wood is on the website of the Saint Petroc Abbey Faq

http://stpetrocabbeyfaq.blogspot.com/

It is not particularly restricted, I suppose.  The Western Rite clergy received copies and I imagine it will appear in the next issue of Tserkovnoe Slovo (Australia's diocesan magazine) as such Decrees always do.
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 08:23:52 AM »

It is not particularly restricted, I suppose.  The Western Rite clergy received copies and I imagine it will appear in the next issue of Tserkovnoe Slovo (Australia's diocesan magazine) as such Decrees always do.

To tangent, a genuine question: if all Western Rite activity is a vicariate under the Metropolitan (and Bishop Jerome of Manhattan), why would this announcement necessarily appear in Tserkovnoe Slovo, a diocesan magazine?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:29:09 AM by smithakd » Logged

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »

It is not particularly restricted, I suppose.  The Western Rite clergy received copies and I imagine it will appear in the next issue of Tserkovnoe Slovo (Australia's diocesan magazine) as such Decrees always do.

To tangent, a genuine question: if all Western Rite activity is a vicariate under the Metropolitan (and Bishop Jerome of Manhattan), why would this announcement need to appear in Tserkovnoe Slovo, a diocesan magazine?

Good question.  These notices are placed in diocesan magazines so that clergy and faithful are aware of any change in status of clergy.  This preserves good order and prevents mistakes being made.  Since Fr Michael operates in two dioceses, that of Archbishop Mark of Germany and Western Europe and that of the Metropolitan, Australia and New Zealand, perhaps notice of the Suspension ought to go in both diocesan magazines since he interacts with clergy and faithful of both dioceses?
SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 08:39:14 AM »

It is not particularly restricted, I suppose.  The Western Rite clergy received copies and I imagine it will appear in the next issue of Tserkovnoe Slovo (Australia's diocesan magazine) as such Decrees always do.

To tangent, a genuine question: if all Western Rite activity is a vicariate under the Metropolitan (and Bishop Jerome of Manhattan), why would this announcement need to appear in Tserkovnoe Slovo, a diocesan magazine?

Good question.  These notices are placed in diocesan magazines so that clergy and faithful are aware of any change in status of clergy.  This preserves good order and prevents mistakes being made.  Since Fr Michael operates in two dioceses, that of Archbishop Mark of Germany and Western Europe and that of the Metropolitan, Australia and New Zealand, perhaps notice of the Suspension ought to go in both diocesan magazines since he interacts with clergy and faithful of both dioceses?

Archbishop Mark is actually bishop of the Diocese of Germany and Diocese of Great Britain.  Britain has not had a bishop resident for some years.  Western Europe is a different diocese, I think centered in Geneva?

http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/engrocor/enbishops.html The Vicar-General of the Australian and New Zealand Diocese is editor of Tserkovnoe Slovo and perhaps you ought to address your query with him?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:05:16 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 08:43:14 AM »

I've noticed that the Suspension of Fr Michael Mansbridge-Wood is on the website of the Saint Petroc Abbey Faq

Who is the author of this website, writing under the name "cascade"?
Margaret S.

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »

Good question. Any answers? It's not much of a case study either.

Sr Margaret
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:44:23 PM by Margaret S. » Logged
SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 04:11:20 AM »

Sr Margaret

Like you Sister Margaret I am curious about the owner of the St Petroc FAQ site.  It does have many unanswered questions, perhaps some speculation, but I guess nonetheless facts in the form of documents.  The email content I guess could all be contrived? Anyway I am not speculating about the FAQ.

Many people come to the Church by the grace of God by strange routes.  Perhaps if Fr. Michael writes his biography in his retirement, he might share his spiritual journey from Anglican Western Australia to the Western-rite of Russian Orthodoxy (RWRV) via the Antiochian Church and his time as a cleric of the Anglican Rite Jurisdiction of the Americas.  Even for those of us in the eastern-rite this would be of interest.

For those of us praying for the traditionalist continuing Anglicans like the ACC to come to Orthodoxy, there is much to glean from the spiritual travels of Fr. Michael that may benefit them in their pilgrimage. Having just read Fr. Colin Stephenson's Merrily on High it would be I am sure an interesting and entertaining read of Fr. Michael's spiritual journey and his ordination (Bishop Grayling/Graydon?) and time as the Archdeacon of Lambeth in the ARJA before finding Orthodoxy.  

Tags edited - MK.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:51:44 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Margaret S.

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 04:37:07 AM »

Sr Margaret

Like you Sister Margaret I am curious about the owner of the St Petroc FAQ site.  It does have many unanswered questions, perhaps some speculation, but I guess nonetheless facts in the form of documents.  The email content I guess could all be contrived? Anyway I am not speculating about the FAQ.

Many people come to the Church by the grace of God by strange routes.  Perhaps if Fr. Michael writes his biography in his retirement, he might share his spiritual journey from Anglican Western Australia to the Western-rite of Russian Orthodoxy (RWRV) via the Antiochian Church and his time as a cleric of the Anglican Rite Jurisdiction of the Americas.  Even for those of us in the eastern-rite this would be of interest.

For those of us praying for the traditionalist continuing Anglicans like the ACC to come to Orthodoxy, there is much to glean from the spiritual travels of Fr. Michael that may benefit them in their pilgrimage. Having just read Fr. Colin Stephenson's Merrily on High it would be I am sure an interesting and entertaining read of Fr. Michael's spiritual journey and his ordination (Bishop Grayling/Graydon?) and time as the Archdeacon of Lambeth in the ARJA before finding Orthodoxy.  

I'll come to Tasmania and type it for him else we'll never get past chapter one!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:53:07 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 04:43:31 AM »

Sr Margaret

I've heard a whisper or two so --just to scotch them.  Irish Hermit places his hand on the holy Bible and precious Cross and solemnly states:  I am not the Saint Petroc Abbey Faq.

The website is quite old, as shown by the use of "Abbey" in its name  Fr Michael first designated his flat as an Abbey and only later renamed it as a Monastery.
SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 06:39:27 AM »

Sr Margaret

I've heard a whisper or two so --just to scotch them.  Irish Hermit places his hand on the holy Bible and precious Cross and solemnly states:  I am not the Saint Petroc Abbey Faq.

The website is quite old, as shown by the use of "Abbey" in its name  Fr Michael first designated his flat as an Abbey and only later renamed it as a Monastery.
I think it was St Petroc Abbey back in the days before 1992-1993 according to the website http://orthodoxwesternrite.wordpress.com/st-petroc-monastery/ which was well-before SPA/SPM became an Orthodox monastery following Fr. Michael (Mansbridge-Wood)'s conversion, so I guess it was an Abbey of the Anglican Rite Jurisdiction of the Americas and then latterly a monastery of the Antiochian Orthodox Church when Fr. Michael was under Damascus?. Was it however the seat of the Archdeaconrey of Lambeth of the ARJA as well?  That would be an ecclesial gift curiosity from the Antipodes to Mother England.

In 1987, ARJA gained a diocese in Australia, headed by Bishop Kenneth Graydon, and in 1993 after ARJA's Archbishop Stephen Clark had visited England, they jointly began a missionary Diocese of Lambeth in London. Before its demise, this latter had several successive Episcopal Visitors and was administered by an Archdeacon who later converted to Orthodoxy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Rite_Jurisdiction_of_the_Americas

Can anyone give some more history of the ARJA in the UK and Australia? Was Hieromonk Michael the only ARJA cleric who swam the Neva?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:00:10 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 08:29:25 AM »

Please keep Fr Barry Jeffries of Tasmania in your prayers.  He is having health issues.

I believe he has gone the extra mile and kept the Tasmanian group going, saying Mass in Hobart while Fr Michael has been absent but now Fr Michael is back and active once again.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 10:55:29 PM »

Good news!  I see that the Saint Petroc Abbey Faq reports (bottom of web
page) that there is news that the suspension of Fr Michael Wood has been
lifted.  He will be able to continue his missionary work in the UK and in
other countries.

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »

Fr. Michael's suspension has been lifted, but he has also been relieved of all duties except for caring for St. Petroc's in Tasmania.
SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 07:30:01 AM »

Good news!  I see that the Saint Petroc Abbey Faq reports (bottom of web
lifted.  He will be able to continue his missionary work in the UK and in
other countries.

If it is correct as Fr. Aidan says that Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) has had his suspension from priestly duties lifted, albeit with  restriction to his Cascade skete/hermitage of St. Petroc,what is the future for the St. Dyfan mission at the university ecumenical centre, in Tasmania and for Fr. Michael's University chaplaincy?

This has serious ramifications for Fr. Michael's existing SPM branded missions in the United Kingdom and his Asian missions in the Philippines. This has short and longer-term implications for the Western-rite in those countries, as neither nation has a  ROCOR western-rite priest except when Fr. Michael visits and the two SPM priests reside in Tasmania.  

Perhaps Byzantine-rite priests will address the spiritual needs of these Western-rite congregations, at least for the short-term or maybe the ROCOR Fraternity of St. Gregory will come to the aid of the few WR in ROCOR Australia. With both priests being septuagenarian, this may be necessary for the long-term future of the Western-rite down under.

While the Western-rite of ROCOR has no missions left in mainland Australia, one wonders how the Western-rite of ROCOR can have any future in Australia if it is correct that SPM's luminary and architect, Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) is confined to his monastic hermitage.

This must be a bitter pill for Fr. Michael to follow.  He has laboured hard, and with no money, resources and few followers to spread Western-rite Orthodoxy. Arguably he has had much greater success in Great Britain, than in his native Australia.  He has made a contribution to the Western-rite liturgical debate and produced a blessed local Western-rite mass, the Usus Cascadae, published in his Shorter St. Colman Prayer Book  and his out-of-copy St. Colman Prayer Book.

Having labored so hard as a missionary in the market-place and streets of the globe, perhaps the peace and tranquility of the hermitage will provide consolation and healing for Fr. Michael at this undoubted time of challenge and pain.  May St. Petroc bless the humble hermitage of Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) and grant by his prayers consolation and grace.

As I quoted before, I think it instrumental to reflect on Archbishop Alypy of Chicago & Eastern America's wisdom:

The past moves into the region of necessity: what has transpired, we cannot change, we cannot erase, and when the past is filled with sins, it serves as a special burden on the soul, and often determines the behavior of the person in the future. We cannot alter the past—that is a law of time. But the law of time is a physical law, while the spirit, as we said, does not submit to it, so in the spiritual plane, we can change the past. The Lord gives us this opportunity—the overcoming of the past, or better yet, the elimination of it—this occurs in the mystery of repentance. The mystery of repentance erases sins, and in this way, eliminates the occurrence of what is past. Earnest repentance severs the chain of sin which binds the past with the future, emancipating man from the burden of the past and grants him the opportunity to follow the path of virtue.

A miracle is the supreme manifestation of the victory of the spirit over physical causal necessity. And our Lord Jesus Christ showed us an example of this: He walked upon water, He healed the sick, He resurrected the dead. The mystery of repentance belongs to the class of such miracles, and the Lord grants this opportunity to each person. 
“Brethren, ye have been called unto liberty.” And so let us resist the sinful causal chain, severing it through repentance and through virtue partaking of spiritual freedom, and then Divine grace will perform in us another miracle—the salvation of our soul. Amen.
http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/engdocuments/enart_arbpalypyfreedom.html

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:36:09 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 07:52:22 AM »

Good news!  I see that the Saint Petroc Abbey Faq reports (bottom of web
lifted.  He will be able to continue his missionary work in the UK and in
other countries.

If it is correct as Fr. Aidan says that Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) has had his suspension from priestly duties lifted, albeit with  restriction to his Cascade skete/hermitage of St. Petroc,what is the future for the St. Dyfan mission at the university ecumenical centre, in Tasmania and for Fr. Michael's University chaplaincy?

Nature abhors a vacuum.  I would expect that there will be others emerge to keep the western rite lively.

And it seems to me that Father Michael, truly, did make his own bed.

M.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 07:53:10 AM »

Fr. Michael's suspension has been lifted, but he has also been relieved of all duties except for caring for St. Petroc's in Tasmania.

Beatus homo, qui corripitur a Deo;
increpationem ergo Omnipotentis ne reprobes.
Quia ipse vulnerat et medetur,
percutit, et manus eius sanabunt.

Job 5:17&18
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 08:03:45 AM »

Perfect. 

You do good work.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 08:13:07 AM »

Perfect. 

You do good work.

I think it was probably the work of Saint Jerome.  :-)
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »

Perfect. 

You do good work.

I think it was probably the work of Saint Jerome.  :-)

laugh laugh laugh

Good'n!!

But it is kind in its truthfulness, and true in its kindness.  I was not kind in my remarks at all, and you reminded me of what really counts.  So I thank you and will follow your lead, and pray Father Michael finds peace and that in his peacefulness, he finds souls who are in need of him in this life.

Mary

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2011, 06:01:11 AM »

Good news on another e-list from Bishop Jerome who writes:

> The ROCOR WR in Britain has not been dissolved.
> I am hoping to visit the UK this year, and ordain
> someone to carry on the ministry.

SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2011, 07:22:50 AM »

Good news on another e-list from Bishop Jerome who writes:

> The ROCOR WR in Britain has not been dissolved.
> I am hoping to visit the UK this year, and ordain
> someone to carry on the ministry.

Let us pray that the RWRV Christians of the St Patroc Paruchia find shelter and priestly ministry in the UK soon.  With so many English convert Byzantine rite priests serving in both the Church Abroad and Moscow Patriarchal Diocese in the UK, surely they can get culturally appropriate pastoral care and support right now. To see the clergy contact details of the Church Abroad's UK Diocese see: http://www.rocor.org.uk/directory.html The stavropegial RWRV missions of St. Nectean and St. Eanswythe, formerly under Hieromonk Michael now list their clergy as "vacant".  Both mission websites appear to have been modified, and WR hours (Matins) is done, presumably as a Reader service currently.  Web links can be find at the ROCOR GB site. Both mmissions are listed as being
under the direct guidance of Bishop Jerome (Shaw), vicar bishop for the Western Rite, and assistant to Metropolitan Hilarion, primate of the Russian Orthodox Church outside Russia.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:28:09 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: