Author Topic: Father Confessor  (Read 738 times)

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
Father Confessor
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
Christ is Risen!

I was Chrismated in December and ever since my first confession I've gone to our pastor for confession and spiritual advice. I've never really asked him to be my spiritual Father but it seemed that since he would be Chrismating me  I should make my first confession to him. That being said we have another priest in the parish who is responsible for the youth group etc...
and I tend to have a better relationship with him. Would it be wrong to go to him for confession and spiritual direction.

Thanks in advance!

In ICXC,
David
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
Re: Father Confessor
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:24:18 AM »
No.  It would not be wrong.  It is important to be comfortable with your confessor.

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »
I just ask  because I know some are of the school that you should switch confessors or spiritual fathers
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »
Do you mean should or should not?  The Fathers say that once you pick a spiritual father you should usually stay.  I guess it depends on circumstance as well.  I don't know if you have picked your spiritual father yet since you are newly Chrismated.  Some people would discuss this with their present confessor.  He may advise you to go to the other priest, etc.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »
it's fine to have an adviser who is different from your confession father.
one you confess to, the other you ask for general advice such as dealing with difficult neighbours etc.

Offline Kasatkin fan

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »
At my parish there are a number of priests who do confession, and who you confess to just happens to be whoever is doing it at the time you want to confess, at the same time, I (personally, I can't speak for the others in the parish) have a specific priest to go to for advice.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »
You should confess to the priest your comfortable with, yes.  But remember, your confessing to Christ, and the priest is just there for guidance.  Your "spiritual father" should be the priest your most comfortable with.