OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 04:54:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Father Confessor  (Read 586 times) Average Rating: 0
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Christos Anesti!

« on: May 27, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »

Christ is Risen!

I was Chrismated in December and ever since my first confession I've gone to our pastor for confession and spiritual advice. I've never really asked him to be my spiritual Father but it seemed that since he would be Chrismating me  I should make my first confession to him. That being said we have another priest in the parish who is responsible for the youth group etc...
and I tend to have a better relationship with him. Would it be wrong to go to him for confession and spiritual direction.

Thanks in advance!

In ICXC,
David

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:24:18 AM »

No.  It would not be wrong.  It is important to be comfortable with your confessor.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »

I just ask  because I know some are of the school that you should switch confessors or spiritual fathers

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »

Do you mean should or should not?  The Fathers say that once you pick a spiritual father you should usually stay.  I guess it depends on circumstance as well.  I don't know if you have picked your spiritual father yet since you are newly Chrismated.  Some people would discuss this with their present confessor.  He may advise you to go to the other priest, etc.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »

it's fine to have an adviser who is different from your confession father.
one you confess to, the other you ask for general advice such as dealing with difficult neighbours etc.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »

At my parish there are a number of priests who do confession, and who you confess to just happens to be whoever is doing it at the time you want to confess, at the same time, I (personally, I can't speak for the others in the parish) have a specific priest to go to for advice.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »

You should confess to the priest your comfortable with, yes.  But remember, your confessing to Christ, and the priest is just there for guidance.  Your "spiritual father" should be the priest your most comfortable with. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags: confession  Father  spiritual 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: