OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:51:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ married to a human?  (Read 354 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: May 27, 2011, 11:21:35 AM »

I've heard it say on this board awhile back that it would have been OK for Christ to have married someone here on Earth. That sounds heretical to me, because isn't the Church His bride?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »

Christ marrying would seem antithetical to his mission. It is certainly heresy to say he did marry.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »

I'm not sure I would consider it heretical, perhaps because I am not sure I would take Bride of Christ as literally as you seem to be (something I may be in error over).  It would seem not to be heretical to say He could have married had He chosen to (though keeping in mind the Church clearly teaches He did NOT marry), because He is a human being, and marriage is a perfectly legitimate thing for a Christian.  There is no shame in marriage.  However, I do agree that it would not have been helpful to His mission, which is why He didn't.

Ultimately I don't see questions such as these as important, because the important thing is the the Lord did not see marriage as helpful to His goals on Earth (for a variety of reasons, most of which we can only speculate on).

However, now that I've typed this, I also thought of the fact that for any woman to have married Christ, she would have married the Godhead and had intercourse with the fullness of God, in Christ.  Perhaps this, then would have been heretical?  Either way, I think the above sentence still stands, the important thing is that He did not marry

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »

There are a few loopy theorists who assert that He did, but their claims immediately fall apart when presented with the facts that a) there is no evidence for it b) the Gospels are completely absent any description of, say, a wedding, the name of the wife, technicalities like that...  Wink Cheesy Tongue Orthodox Jews in ancient times made a pretty big deal out of weddings, so the fact that we have zero mention of one (outside of the wedding at Cana, which is obviously someone else's) inveighs strongly to the fact that there was none.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 01:48:05 AM »

Sola Imagination strikes again.
It is far away from me the idea that I can tell God or people what God can not do or could not do. Anyhow the historical documents thrown away by Sola Imagination  are clear.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:55:05 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: