OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:10:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Church  (Read 531 times) Average Rating: 0
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:39:52 AM »

I come from a non religious background and only recently started to learn about Christianity so assume i know not much lolOl because that would be true!!!! and im new here so sorry if i put this on the wrong place.

My question is about the church and the way the orthodox faith views the church. The church is called 'she' because of it being the bride in the bible yes?? and the main function of the church is to heal and bring people to God?? Unlike other parts of Christianity who diminish the role of the church because its not part of the post modern liberal way they want to move forward. Can you suggest any articles or study notes or even threads on this forum that tell me about the orthodox view of the church please?? Cheers. Poppy
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:52:06 AM »

Poppy, welcome to the Convert Issues Forum!

If you look at the tags after your posting and click The Church, I am sure you will have all the posts from the past that you want on your topic.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »

One of the best books on this subject is, appropriately named, "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware (now known as Metropolitan Kallistos, and overseer of part of the Greek Church in the UK). It gives both the history and the theology about the Church.

Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:56:32 AM by bogdan » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:08:19 PM »

Yeah.... someone mentioned that book before to me i must have forgot because i downloaded a free sample on my kindle but never read it yet -_- so i better download the rest and get crackin huh??? lolOl cheers mate. And the tags thing??? ugh yep i should of thought of that myself sorry.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »

I was just going to ask if you had read the "basics": Metropolitan Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church, The Orthodox Way, Fr. Thomas Hopko's Rainbow series etc. There's a thread here somewhere on what books would one recommend to a catechumen/inquirer.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »

Ok i found the book list
cheers
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »

I would also like to recommend the article "The Church is One" by Alexei Khomiakov.  I believe Met Kallistos refers to this writing in his book The Orthodox Church, but you can read it here:

http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/khomiakov_church.aspx

Another very good one is "Christianity or the Church" by the New Hieromartyr Ilarion (Troitsky), which can be read here:

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/christianity_church_e.htm

Enjoy!
Tags: the Church  she  bride  institution  healing books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: