OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:17:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If....................  (Read 3676 times) Average Rating: 0
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« on: May 26, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

...the Roman Catholic Church didn't require the Eastern Orthodox Church to accept our definition of primacy in terms of the role of the Bishop of Rome and didn't require them to embrace the filioque or any of the post-schism doctrines/dogmas of the Roman Catholic Church, would you all be in communion with us?
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »

It would definitely be iffy.  It'd be like a smoker and non-smoker getting married- yeah, you go outside for a smoke even in the freezing cold and she still complains.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:25:47 PM »

...the Roman Catholic Church didn't require the Eastern Orthodox Church to accept our definition of primacy in terms of the role of the Bishop of Rome and didn't require them to embrace the filioque or any of the post-schism doctrines/dogmas of the Roman Catholic Church, would you all be in communion with us?

I think the better question is this: Why would they want to be in communion with anyone that rejected what they considered to be dogmatic truths? Dogmas are life-giving, and to deny them is cancerous. So this would be equivalent to letting cancer into your body.

Also, note that you spoke in terms of Rome "not requiring" us to do such and such. This is still a fundamental orientation of domination and arbitration.

We would be embracing filioque ipso facto just by being in communion with those that use it.

Nothing about your proposal makes any sense.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:28:13 PM »

I think the better question is this: Why would they want to be in communion with anyone that rejected what they considered to be dogmatic truths? Dogmas are life-giving, and to deny them is cancerous. So this would be equivalent to letting cancer into your body.

Also, note that you spoke in terms of Rome "not requiring" us to do such and such. This is still a fundamental orientation of domination and arbitration.

We would be embracing filioque ipso facto just by being in communion with those that use it.

Nothing about your proposal makes any sense.
^The EXACT problem with the Unia.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:29:39 PM »

If those issues had never been forced on the East in the first place, it is likely Communion would not have ended, however Communion can't be re-established magically. The Latin Church features many areas of concern, not to mention the question of what happens to the present Eastern Catholic Churches.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »

Probably not, as being in communion with a jurisdiction that believes such things gives them some degree of validity. It's a statement that those doctrines are acceptable expressions of Christian theology - which they are not.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »

IF...theoretically the RC didn't require all the items stated above....I think all the RC's should just relinquish all the phony dogmas and simply return, like the prodigal son, to their "father" whom they abandoned - Orthodoxy.

angel

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 12:06:11 AM »

No.  Too many other questions would persist.  And your phrasing betrays still a hint of papal authority in that the pope wouldn't require the Orthodox to be x or y.  Such still assumes that he has the power on which to establish the communion.

Besides true communion is not  living by each other and merely "agreeing to disagree." Such is what you are proposing.  That is not communion...it is simply tolerating differences. That's the communion arrangements that the ELCA Lutherans and Episcopalians and UCC have in this country together.  Those denominations are not one in the same in faith and especially not in praxis.  Is that what you are looking for in communion with the RC and the EO?  I hope not.

Also, we need to change our vocabulary when approaching this topic.  We should not be talking about uniting the churches.  We should be talking about uniting the various "confessions" to THE CHURCH.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 12:30:05 AM »

IF...theoretically the RC didn't require all the items stated above....I think all the RC's should just relinquish all the phony dogmas and simply return, like the prodigal son, to their "father" whom they abandoned - Orthodoxy.

angel

exactly.   Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alcuin

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:54:48 AM »

I don't think those questions can be simply 'not required' of someone.

If the Pope has the authority to define dogma, and it is the ratification of the Pope that confirms a council as ecumenical, how can one be in communion with Rome while rejecting these notions? There might be differences of practice in how the Pope deals with one particular Church versus other particular Churches, but every Church would have to accept that in principle these things are true.

Also as regards the Filioque: As it currently stands the Church does not require it to be said in every Church, but every Church must assent to its theological validity. I don't know how there could be much of a longstanding or real communion if there was dissent over an issue of such importance as the very nature of God.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 10:11:22 AM »

The Holy Fathers do not permit us to enter into communion with heretics.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »

So the Pope is universal pastor when you're in Rome but not in Moscow? Give me a break.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:12:40 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 11:21:31 AM »

No. You would be required to abandon the primacy of Rome and the co-participation of the Son in the causation of the Spirit.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 11:21:34 AM »

Besides true communion is not  living by each other and merely "agreeing to disagree." Such is what you are proposing.  That is not communion...it is simply tolerating differences. That's the communion arrangements that the ELCA Lutherans and Episcopalians and UCC have in this country together.  Those denominations are not one in the same in faith and especially not in praxis.  Is that what you are looking for in communion with the RC and the EO?  I hope not.

Such ecumenist heresy is certainly present even in the "Apostolic" churches, and I have seen it advanced vigorously many times by modern day Romanists.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »

Oh boy, oh boy......here we go again  Grin!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 11:51:58 AM »

angel

We are the Orthodox Church. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »

Such ecumenist heresy is certainly present even in the "Apostolic" churches, and I have seen it advanced vigorously many times by modern day Romanists.
By who? Smiley

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 11:53:25 AM »

The Holy Fathers do not permit us to enter into communion with heretics.
Then you should return to the Catholic church.  Grin

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »

Oh snap!

PWNED

In all seriousness, my question in the opening post was more hypothetical than anything else. Obviously, as a Catholic, I don't think that any of our dogmas need to be done away with. Interestingly, it seems that the type of unity outlined in the OP already exists amongst us and the Eastern Catholic Churches. I am not saying that all of them reject our dogmas (because I'm sure some don't) but it is quite stunning (and scandalous) to me that they seem to be able to do so and remain in communion with us. I tend to take the same stance as others in this thread, albeit from the opposite side of the fence, that true communion requires agreement and uniformity in faith. Either our doctrines and dogmas are true or they are not. Either we are the Church or we are not.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »

Oh snap!

PWNED

In all seriousness, my question in the opening post was more hypothetical than anything else. Obviously, as a Catholic, I don't think that any of our dogmas need to be done away with. Interestingly, it seems that the type of unity outlined in the OP already exists amongst us and the Eastern Catholic Churches. I am not saying that all of them reject our dogmas (because I'm sure some don't) but it is quite stunning (and scandalous) to me that they seem to be able to do so and remain in communion with us. I tend to take the same stance as others in this thread, albeit from the opposite side of the fence, that true communion requires agreement and uniformity in faith. Either our doctrines and dogmas are true or they are not. Either we are the Church or we are not.

I disagree with all of you to this extent, for example:

It seems to me, using the Immaculate Conception as an example, that it would be quite possible for us to disagree over whether the Mother of God was immaculate in the womb or at the moment of conception.

There were these kinds of disagreements over more important core doctrines and we did not tear one another apart or schism:  one might rightly except the treatment of the Oriental Orthodox but even now the EO will embrace the OO and kick sand in the face of the papal Church.

So it is not at all clear that we should not be in communion and work out our differences from there, or live with them.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »

It seems to me, using the Immaculate Conception as an example, that it would be quite possible for us to disagree over whether the Mother of God was immaculate in the womb or at the moment of conception.
That might be true if the Immaculate Conception was a theological opinion such as limbo of the infants, but it is not. It is dogma.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 12:25:13 PM »

That might be true if the Immaculate Conception was a theological opinion such as limbo of the infants, but it is not. It is dogma.

It is dogma as defined by the west.  Even in the east there has been an openness to it in fact and there is nothing in the liturgy of the eastern Church that argues against it.  And frankly, however much I believe it and love the teaching, I do not press it among eastern Catholics.  It is sufficient to sing the hymns of the Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple and celebrate the Feast of the Conception of St. Anne.

You seem to miss the point that the unified Church was hardly unified in all points of doctrine or doctrinal expression.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »

It is dogma as defined by the west.
Truth isn't regional. Either something is true or it isn't. Something can't just be true in the west.

Even in the east there has been an openness to it in fact and there is nothing in the liturgy of the eastern Church that argues against it.
That much is good at least.

And frankly, however much I believe it and love the teaching, I do not press it among eastern Catholics.  It is sufficient to sing the hymns of the Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple and celebrate the Feast of the Conception of St. Anne.
It shouldn't have to be pushed. If one desires to be in communion with the Catholic Church then they should willingly embrace Catholic teaching. If Eastern Catholics are not doing this then how are they really different than the Eastern Orthodox?

You seem to miss the point that the unified Church was hardly unified in all points of doctrine or doctrinal expression.
Though I am sure the first millennium Church was more unified doctrinally than Catholicism and Orthodoxy currently is.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »

Though I am sure the first millennium Church was more unified doctrinally than Catholicism and Orthodoxy currently is.

Frankly I think your certitude in this matter is more than a little delusional...or illusional depending on how deeply you've read in the Holy Fathers and Church History.

Also there is the clear statement of the Holy Father that there is no need to ask of the Orthodox more than that which was sufficient for the first thousand years.

Without a shadow of a doubt I believe that the ultimate grounds for resumption of Communion is going to be a shock to legalists on both sides.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:10:35 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »

Frankly I think your certitude in this matter is more than a little delusional...or illusional depending on how deeply you've read in the Holy Fathers and Church History.

Also there is the clear statement of the Holy Father that there is no need to ask of the Orthodox more than that which was sufficient for the first thousand years.

Without a shadow of a doubt I believe that the ultimate grounds for resumption of Communion is going to be a shock to legalists on both sides.
Well obviously something changed between then and now because they were in communion with us then and are in schism now. I don't consider it legalistic to believe that the truth cannot be compromised in the name of unity. Unity has to come through mutual recognizing and professing the truth through the working of the Holy Spirit.
Alcuin

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 01:17:31 PM »

Quote from: Ineffabilis Deus
We declare, pronounce and define that the doctrine which holds that the most Blessed Virgin Mary, in the first instance of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege granted by Almighty God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original sin, is a doctrine revealed by God and therefore to be believed firmly and constantly by all the faithful.

Some waffling might be done on original sin vs ancestral sin in Catholic-Orthodox understanding, but there isn't going to be any negotiation on the substantive point. It's been dogmatically defined, and along with Munificentissimus Deus is one of the two explicit uses of Papal infallibility in the wake of Vatican I.

Wyatt - doctrine didn't really change (Papal Infallibility only having been explicitly defined at Vatican I, centuries after the schism). The issue that begat the infamous double-excommunication of 1054 was Patriarch Michael I Cerularius of Constantinople complaining over the west's use of unleavened bread in the liturgy and writing a letter about that to the west in which he took the title "Ecumenical Patriarch" and referred to the Pope as "brother" rather than the customary "Father". Obviously these were smoke-screens for the real issue, which was mutual cultural and doctrinal antipathy between Greeks and Latins (the Photian schism had ended without any real resolution of the Filioque issue).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:20:36 PM by Alcuin » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 01:20:16 PM »

We declare, pronounce and define that the doctrine which holds that the most Blessed Virgin Mary, in the first instance of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege granted by Almighty God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original sin, is a doctrine revealed by God and therefore to be believed firmly and constantly by all the faithful.

Some waffling might be done on original sin vs ancestral sin in Catholic-Orthodox understanding, but there isn't going to be any negotiation on the substantive point. It's been dogmatically defined, and along with Munificentissimus Deus is one of the two explicit uses of Papal infallibility in the wake of Vatican I.

As I said, I tend to follow the indications from the Holy Father, and do believe that all the legalists on both sides are going to be deeply disappointed.

Also I think both Alcuin and Wyatt need to do something about your understanding of Dogma in the Catholic Church.  I don't see it as much more illuminated than many Orthodox believer's understandings of it that I've seen over the years.

You can do the things with it that you do if you are teaching a systematic theology class but if you are living through the fullness of the Body of Christ and I include all EO Churches and OO Churches in that, then what you two are doing is far too rigid and has never been part of the living Church.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:22:40 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Alcuin

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »

I really can't agree with you that it's an issue of legalism at all. It speaks to fundamental differences in how east and west understand the core nature of sin and man.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »

I really can't agree with you that it's an issue of legalism at all. It speaks to fundamental differences in how east and west understand the core nature of sin and man.

If you read the saints and doctors and pray through the liturgies, you'd find that those differences are not at all Life threatening.  If they were the head of the CDF would never have said what he said about the OO and EO Churches...sorry about the acronyms but I am rushing to go out.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »

You can do the things with it that you do if you are teaching a systematic theology class but if you are living through the fullness of the Body of Christ and I include all EO Churches and OO Churches in that, then what you two are doing is far too rigid and has never been part of the living Church.
I don't subscribe to branch theory.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »

Christus resurrexit!
No, as you would not be in communion with us (I take that your scenario would allow you to retain your heresies).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 01:44:02 PM »

Christus resurrexit!
No, as you would not be in communion with us (I take that your scenario would allow you to retain your heresies).
While I don't agree with your use of the 'h' word, I get where you are coming from. Yes, in my above hypothetical scenario, we would stay the same doctrinally and you all would stay the same doctrinally as well.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »

And frankly, however much I believe it and love the teaching, I do not press it among eastern Catholics.  It is sufficient to sing the hymns of the Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple and celebrate the Feast of the Conception of St. Anne.
It shouldn't have to be pushed. If one desires to be in communion with the Catholic Church then they should willingly embrace Catholic teaching. If Eastern Catholics are not doing this then how are they really different than the Eastern Orthodox?

Exactly, Wyatt. That's why the EO reject the Unia, it's not truly union. Either the Eastern Rite becomes Roman Catholic in every way except rite, or it remains Orthodox in everyway, but in communion with Rome. Neither of these are real union. It is either submission to Rome or false union.

For the Orthodox to commune again with the Roman church, in my own opinion, Rome would have to undogmatize those things which divide us (IC, papal infallibility/supremacy, etc.) and resume its status as an equal autocelphalous church, with the Bishop of Rome being a their primate, and a bishop among equal bishops, without intervention in other churches (unless Rome was granted its pre-schism privilages of appeal, allowing the Pope of Rome to intervene only when receiving an appeal).

Anything less, I think, is false union.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »

Exactly, Wyatt. That's why the EO reject the Unia, it's not truly union. Either the Eastern Rite becomes Roman Catholic in every way except rite, or it remains Orthodox in everyway, but in communion with Rome. Neither of these are real union. It is either submission to Rome or false union.

For the Orthodox to commune again with the Roman church, in my own opinion, Rome would have to undogmatize those things which divide us (IC, papal infallibility/supremacy, etc.) and resume its status as an equal autocelphalous church, with the Bishop of Rome being a their primate, and a bishop among equal bishops, without intervention in other churches (unless Rome was granted its pre-schism privilages of appeal, allowing the Pope of Rome to intervene only when receiving an appeal).

You would think that the Orthodox hierarchs engaging in the bilateral discussions would say that if that is what they meant or thought.  The fact that we do not hear these kinds of things from the majority of Orthodox hierarchs tells me that you too will be disappointed.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »

angel

exactly.   Smiley

Trevor, GIFs are not allowed to prostrate between Pascha and Pentecost.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »

Christus resurrexit!

You would think that the Orthodox hierarchs engaging in the bilateral discussions would say that if that is what they meant or thought.  The fact that we do not hear these kinds of things from the majority of Orthodox hierarchs tells me that you too will be disappointed.
yes, that the Vatican and its followers will not return to Catholic unity is a disappointment.

I do believe Fr. Ambrose has posted links many times, on how the bishops engaged in the bilateral discussion, for long on a long leash, have had that leash pulled, or rather yanked, in as of late.  What the Holy Synod of Romania, the second largest EO Church, said to and about Arb. Nicolae Corneanu represents what the majority of Orthodox hiearchs have to say on the matter.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »

angel

Oh, I guess I was confused by all your incorrect doctrine.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »

Christus resurrexit!
While I don't agree with your use of the 'h' word, I get where you are coming from. Yes, in my above hypothetical scenario, we would stay the same doctrinally and you all would stay the same doctrinally as well.

Wyatt, could you clarify the original question? When you say, "If the Roman Catholic Church didn't require the Eastern Orthodox Church to accept" etc., do you mean that we would no longer consider them to be dogmas?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »

I think the Antiochian service book puts it nicely:

"We understand 'communion' to mean we hold all things in common."

Until such a time comes that we can say that, there will be no communion. Agreeing to disagree is not grounds for communion.
Alcuin

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »

As I said, I tend to follow the indications from the Holy Father, and do believe that all the legalists on both sides are going to be deeply disappointed.

Also I think both Alcuin and Wyatt need to do something about your understanding of Dogma in the Catholic Church.  I don't see it as much more illuminated than many Orthodox believer's understandings of it that I've seen over the years.

The Vatican I promulgation of Papal Infallibility, in defining a dogma, refers to it as a proposition of faith or morals "to be believed by the whole Church" and which is "irreformable". I think that's a pretty good definition of what dogma is.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »

The Vatican I promulgation of Papal Infallibility, in defining a dogma, refers to it as a proposition of faith or morals "to be believed by the whole Church" and which is "irreformable". I think that's a pretty good definition of what dogma is.

If that were the starting point used by the theologians of your church most closely associated with the Vatican and recent popes, there would be no continuing dialog with the Orthodox. (that may be the view of some like Cardinal Mahoney as referenced in the story told yesterday by Maria on another thread, but that is another whole issue.) The first meeting would have been the last and it would have lasted 1 minute or less. While most of the Roman Catholics posting here do not want to admit it, Elijahmaria is on to something with her point about people on both sides being surprised in the end.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »

If that were the starting point used by the theologians of your church most closely associated with the Vatican and recent popes, there would be no continuing dialog with the Orthodox. (that may be the view of some like Cardinal Mahoney as referenced in the story told yesterday by Maria on another thread, but that is another whole issue.) The first meeting would have been the last and it would have lasted 1 minute or less. While most of the Roman Catholics posting here do not want to admit it, Elijahmaria is on to something with her point about people on both sides being surprised in the end.

I guess you know a lot about what would be.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »

I think you are in a position to have a very good sense of these things.  Yes.  Resumption of communion will not make many of the Catholics you see here very happy at all:  No more happy than many of the Orthodox.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 04:43:29 PM »

I think you are in a position to have a very good sense of these things.  Yes.  Resumption of communion will not make many of the Catholics you see here very happy at all:  No more happy than many of the Orthodox.
In my mind the type of reunion you believe is going to take place could never happen. Christ promised that the gates of hell would never prevail against the Church. If the post-schism dogmas of our Church were all of a sudden thrown out or else it was admitted that they were not universally binding that would be the very definition of the gates of hell prevailing. Since dogmas are universal truths, if our Church reneged on any of them or said that they were not universally binding, that would either mean that our Church was in error when defining those dogmas or was in error in renouncing them. We know that our Church cannot err on such matters so such a reunion is impossible.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:44:08 PM by Wyatt » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »

I think you are in a position to have a very good sense of these things.  Yes.  Resumption of communion will not make many of the Catholics you see here very happy at all:  No more happy than many of the Orthodox.
In my mind the type of reunion you believe is going to take place could never happen. Christ promised that the gates of hell would never prevail against the Church. If the post-schism dogmas of our Church were all of a sudden thrown out or else it was admitted that they were not universally binding that would be the very definition of the gates of hell prevailing.

Or it could mean that the Oriental Orthodox were the one true church. Grin
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:53:37 PM by Peter J » Logged

Tags: ialmisry's b.s. 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: