well.....it's been a very interesting and humbling experience, to say the least. I have gone through about three batches. the first looked like giant upside-down mushrooms. I rolled the dough thinner, and made them more uniform. I also had to learn to be very liberal with my flour. those looked like someone stepped on them. tonight, I was ready to call Matushka and ask her to bake them, when I tried one last time. This time, I didn't make the dough too thin, baked them for a shorter time at a cooler temperature, and they were almost perfect. The only improvement I have to make is, when putting water on the bottoms to glue them together, I need to water all sides of it, not just random spots. That way, when it rises in the oven, the top rises more evenly.
My last batch was perfect, and I'll make more tomorrow.
I'm neither a widow nor Romanian, but I'd say I did pretty well