OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:51:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Church in China?  (Read 890 times) Average Rating: 0
NightOwl
High Elder

« on: May 26, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »

I'm currently studying Chinese in university and plan on studying abroad there. What is the situation of the Chinese Orthodox Church? Is the Liturgy still celebrated regularly in Beijing for example?

Thanks!
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »

I'm currently studying Chinese in university and plan on studying abroad there. What is the situation of the Chinese Orthodox Church? Is the Liturgy still celebrated regularly in Beijing for example?

When I was last in Beijing in 2007, the only Orthodox parish I could find was at the Russian embassy (entry to which was prohibited to non-Russians.) The Communist government seized the Orthodox parishes in other cities decades ago and the churches are now used for different purposes. The one in Shanghai is now a Spanish (IIRC) restaurant.

There is a functioning parish in Harbin.

Hong Kong is separate from the rest of China when it comes to freedom of religion. There's a nice parish in Central (on like the 20th floor of a skyscraper).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:46:26 PM by CRCulver » Logged
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:48:23 AM »

Unfortunately if you tried to speak Mandarin in Xiang Gang all you would get would be weird looks.

I am also studying Chinese, yay, another Orthodox person learning Chinese. Tongue

Ελέησον με, ο Θεός, κατά το μέγα έλεος σου και κατά το πλήθος των οικτιρμών σου εξάλειψον το ανόμημα μου.

Αναστάς ο Ιησούς από του τάφου, καθώς προείπεν, έδωκεν ημίν την αιώνιον ζωήν και το μέγα έλεος.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:25:05 AM »

Unfortunately if you tried to speak Mandarin in Xiang Gang all you would get would be weird looks.

I am also studying Chinese, yay, another Orthodox person learning Chinese. Tongue

Wow, I respect that. Not the easiest choice!

Tone does my head in.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »

There's a few churches in the PRC, but Beijing serves (fortnightly?) in an embassy church (Fr Sergei) and Shanghai has probably returned to a room in the embassy (with weekly services), after being in a former Orthodox church for the duration of Expo.

Beijing and Shanghai require you to be a foreigner to enter (showing a passport to guards and all), and in Beijing's case, you have to have your name placed on the list beforehand (an e-mail should suffice).

There are other parishes dotted around China - I believe Guangzhou has one, and Xinjiang as well...and, of course, two in Hong Kong and one in Taiwan (depending on your political views).  The best resource is probably orthodox.cn - Mitrophan is doing a great service for those interested in Chinese Orthodoxy.

Hope this helps!

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 01:51:22 AM »

There's a few churches in the PRC, but Beijing serves (fortnightly?) in an embassy church (Fr Sergei) and Shanghai has probably returned to a room in the embassy (with weekly services), after being in a former Orthodox church for the duration of Expo.

Beijing and Shanghai require you to be a foreigner to enter (showing a passport to guards and all), and in Beijing's case, you have to have your name placed on the list beforehand (an e-mail should suffice).

There are other parishes dotted around China - I believe Guangzhou has one, and Xinjiang as well...and, of course, two in Hong Kong and one in Taiwan (depending on your political views).  The best resource is probably orthodox.cn - Mitrophan is doing a great service for those interested in Chinese Orthodoxy.

Hope this helps!
Great site, thank you very much!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »

A certain American hieromonk does missionary work there and there are house churches, but by their nature these are not easy to find. I would say as a functioning body there is no Chinese Orthodox Church anymore but hopefully a normalized situation will arise in the near future.

Xiang Gang of course isn't the best place to practice Mandarin but it's not completely unheard there.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: