OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:18:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochian Orthodox Liturgy - Language  (Read 1648 times) Average Rating: 0
new_abc

« on: May 26, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »

What language is the liturgy usually done in the Antiochian Orthodox Church? Arabic? Greek? Approximately 50% Arabic and 50% Greek? Is there any Greek at all? If so, approximately how much and can you mention a few Greek words that are used?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:03:05 PM by new_abc » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »

What language is the liturgy usually done in the Antiochian Orthodox Church? Arabic? Greek? Approximately 50% Arabic and 50% Greek? Is there any Greek at all? If so, approximately how much and can you mention a few Greek words that are used?

In the Antiochian churches that I have attended in the Southwest and South USA, English was used for the vast majority of the time. Indeed, the Antiochian Archdiocese started the transition from Arabic to English before any of the other jurisdictions. I do not remember any Greek except when
(a) the bishop served (the Greek being "Eis plola eti despota, which is used everywhere I think, and the Arabic being anything that the bishop felt like;
(b) at the Paschal services (to sing Christ is risen in several languages, usually in Englsih, Arabic, Greek and Slavonic); and
(c) as part of the responses to the litanies during the Liturgy--that is to sing "Lord have mercy" in the same languages as "Christ is risen"

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »

Every Antiochian parish I've been to has been 95%+ English, except for one which had a large number of Middle Eastern immigrants, which was about half English, half Arabic. Greek is used rarely if ever.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »

You could end with over 400 different answers for this question. It will always depend on location.

Joseph
David Garner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:03:58 AM »

Ours is mostly English, with the Trisagion hymn and the Kyries in some litanies sung in Arabic and Greek as well as English.

Ours is a convert parish, but this is also typical of other Antoichian parishes I've visited.

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:37:30 AM »

Ours is mostly English (& all parts in English at some time or another) although we rotate with Arabic & Slavonic in the hymn of the Cherubim, Arabic in the Anaphora, Greek & Arabic in the Trisagion, we sing a Dormition hymn almost always in Arabic the rest is almost exclusively English.

Antiochian OC N.A.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »

almasiiH qaam!
Usually the Antiochians are sticklers for doing the DL in the language of the congregation, the amount of Arabic varying from none to maybe over half, depending on the amount of Arab Orthodox (especially immigrants) in the congregation.  In Antioch and Syria things like the Trisagion, the Kyrie Eleison, and some  troparia are often done in Greek, as are refrains alternating with the Arabic.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »

In our parish we have very few (2 families I think out of 150) that even have an antiochian background. We have some 10 families who have slavic backgroundsd the rest are good old American "Heinz 57 variety" convert or 2nd generation cradle with convert parents or thrid generation with convert grandparents. We use Greek, Arabic, Church Slavonic, English, Spanish, Inuit, and Kiswahili at various times of the year and in various services.  We sponsor a native Alaskan Priest and have a parishioner who is a missionary in Tanzia which explain our use of Kiswahili and Inuit in the services. On a Normal Sunday we usually hear the "Lord Have Mercy" Prayers in English with Responses in  English, Church Slavonic, Inuit, and Kiswahili.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »

In Antioch and Syria things like the Trisagion, the Kyrie Eleison, and some  troparia are often done in Greek, as are refrains alternating with the Arabic.
Does the Byzantine Orthodox Church of Antioch use any 'Syriac' at all?

NULL
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »

My parish uses English, Greek, Arabic and Slavonic.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:46:27 AM »

Not to my knowledge. Even in villages where Aramaic is the spoken language, the liturgical language is Arabic (the reverse of what is often the situation in Jacobite churches).
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »

In Antioch and Syria things like the Trisagion, the Kyrie Eleison, and some  troparia are often done in Greek, as are refrains alternating with the Arabic.

Not that I've ever seen, and that includes the U.S. and Lebanon. In Lebanon, I heard Arabic and Greek, but no Syriac.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: