OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 08:19:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Message, by Peterson  (Read 1193 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: June 11, 2004, 07:04:37 AM »

Have any of you seen this "Bible" published in 2003 by Peterson? Psalm 1 is shocking - I didn't realize that I was reading it as it was so distorted.

My teacher in Religious Science 160 - has mandated that we read this text for our course. We have to read Deuteronomy, Job, Isaiah, Romans, The Gospel of St. John, and Revelations.

He said that the use of the slang would make many people angry, and that was his purpose in assigning this translation.

It seems that his whole purpose in our class is to shock and destroy the faith of young college students. Shocked

We have some very vocal and upset muslims in our class also.

Please pray that I will say the proper words - everything I have attempted to say the professor turns against Christianity.

Maria
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 02:08:41 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 07:47:07 AM »

I've seen it, and I can't imagine using it in any sort of educational context.  It's a really s****y "translation".  I haven't gotten angry reading it; I just start to chuckle.  

Nothing beats the ebonics Bible I read a few years ago, though.  No diggity.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 04:15:28 PM »

I have the Gospel of Luke in Gullah.  That's interesting...

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 02:04:05 PM »

Nothing beats the ebonics Bible I read a few years ago, though.  No diggity.

Shocked  Out of morbid curiosity, Mor, is a sample of that online?

This Message Bible has been out since at least '95 (The NT and Psalms were the only thing done at the time).  Goes over well with teens, people who think God's "one of the boys" and that God's "down" with them.

Rather disgusting once one gains even a rudimentary knowledge of Greek.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 10:16:53 AM »

Maria-Elizabeth,

I can't imagine what educational benefits could be gotten from an extremely inexact, tendentious translation of the Scriptures.  And, if what you've said reflects your professor's attitude, then the class sounds worthless.  Could you withdraw from that course and take it later with a different professor?  What college are you attending?  If this professor is well supported, perhaps you're at the wrong institution.

(Not to scandalize those who note I'm posting on Sunday morning:  I'm home with a sick child.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 10:17:59 AM by ambrosemzv » Logged

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 09:14:52 PM »

I've heard of it, even read little snippets of it, and I realized from the get-go that it was pretty crappy.  In fact, I don't even think that it's a 'translation', per se, but that it's actually more of a paraphrase from another translation.  Don't quote me on that one, though.

Regardless, I think that professor needs a good talking-to by the head of the Religion Department at whatever school you're attending, especially if there's more people riled up than just Christians.  I say 'just' because people that like usually expect us to be angry at them for doing stuff like that.

Well, that's my $0.02, for what it's worth.

Josh.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 01:58:03 PM »

Eugene Peterson, who produced that paraphrase is a very devout, Christ-loving protestant pastor and writer in the evangelical stream. Like the "Cottonpatch Gospels" of a gerneration ago, the intent was to use the vernacular to bring to light some of the intent of scripture and word things in a new way to help one think afresh about the passage. i don't think Peterson intends it to replace real translations for worship; rather is would be a study aid or devotional aid. That a liberal professor got ahold of it and is using it for ignoble purposes should not blemish the intent of Eugene Peterson. In fact,
Maria should go to the Christianity Today (protestant magazine website) and get some background on Peterson - her liberal prof might reconsider if he found out that Peterson actually loves the Lord and believes the Bible
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 02:01:44 PM »

Of course, how one feels about the appropriateness of paraphrases is whole 'nother matter. I have never cared that much for them.

The Phillips new testatment paraphrase wasn't too bad however.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: