OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 03:36:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pentecostalism and Mental Illness  (Read 4321 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: May 25, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »

Does the Pentecostal movement cause mental illness?  I have heard reports that some people who get involved with them get very "mixed up" in the head from their experiences. 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_De2EOcI8qg

I could see it happening.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:10:15 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »

Any group that requires you to turn off logic and dive into unrestricted emotionalism (and claim that such emotionalism is "the Holy Ghost") can't be good for one's mental well-being.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »

I think you would have to do a study of all versions of Christianity and instances of mental illness to know that.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:40:03 PM »

Christ is risen!
Does the Pentecostal movement cause mental illness?  I have heard reports that some people who get involved with them get very "mixed up" in the head from their experiences. 
That is the question: according to studies, they are the highest denomination in psych problems/users of psych services, but it is not clear whether it causes such problems or attracts those with them.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »

To be frank, I think that Pentecostalism attracts those with mental illness as well, for whatever reason.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »

To be frank, I think that Pentecostalism attracts those with mental illness as well, for whatever reason.
Speaking only from anecdotal experience, I agree.

This apples to drug abusers, as well.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »

While Scripture does tell us that the Holy Spirit was given to the Apostles, and "these are not drunk as you suppose," I can't picture early Christian worship being like what we saw in the video clip posted above. The Apostles cannot have encouraged losing control of yourself, dancing like an exploding spin-top, and rolling around on the floor. It isn't coherent, so I don't know how it could be offered up as worship. God does give us joy, but I can't imagine Him wanting us to go into chaotic outbursts.  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »

While Scripture does tell us that the Holy Spirit was given to the Apostles, and "these are not drunk as you suppose,"
But that's because those who did not know the various languages the Apostles were speaking thought they were speaking drunken gibberish, not because they were falling over themselves.  police

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: