OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 11:02:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Papal Tiara for Christian Unity  (Read 2893 times) Average Rating: 0
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »

In this case it was a gift.
I was responding to this:

I get the impression that some people may be taking this way too far. A Roman Catholic hired a company owned by Orthodox christians to make the tiara. I could be mistaken, but I believe the Orthodox included in the presentation were representing their company and workmanship, not the Church.
So they will abandon their anti-Papacy convictions to take our money, eh? If someone offered me money to go out and distribute Chick tracts I know what my answer would be, regardless of the amount offered.

It's more like if you ran a clothing store and he wnated to you to taylor a suit for him. You can't expect everyone only to do business with co-religionists.

It is interesting that you would see caritas as "doing business"....

That's what his situation is. Yes, there could be something said about the cooperation involved. There might be a level of open heartedness in offering the job to Orthodox christians. The same could be said about the willingness to accept the job and putting some quality into the work. The attitude of good will involved on both sides is something that would bring us closer if it were shared by everyone, but I just don't think this is really as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

Honestly, I think more is accomplished by regular people doing little things like buying and sharing icons, medals, books, etc.

Oooooooooooops!

My fault, I fear!  I was thinking about the other thread on Catholic charity for Orthodox jurisdictions...material help. 

So sorry...pretend I wasn't here...please  Smiley

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »

In this case it was a gift.
I was responding to this:

I get the impression that some people may be taking this way too far. A Roman Catholic hired a company owned by Orthodox christians to make the tiara. I could be mistaken, but I believe the Orthodox included in the presentation were representing their company and workmanship, not the Church.
So they will abandon their anti-Papacy convictions to take our money, eh? If someone offered me money to go out and distribute Chick tracts I know what my answer would be, regardless of the amount offered.

It's more like if you ran a clothing store and he wnated to you to taylor a suit for him. You can't expect everyone only to do business with co-religionists.

It is interesting that you would see caritas as "doing business"....

That's what his situation is. Yes, there could be something said about the cooperation involved. There might be a level of open heartedness in offering the job to Orthodox christians. The same could be said about the willingness to accept the job and putting some quality into the work. The attitude of good will involved on both sides is something that would bring us closer if it were shared by everyone, but I just don't think this is really as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

Honestly, I think more is accomplished by regular people doing little things like buying and sharing icons, medals, books, etc.

Oooooooooooops!

My fault, I fear!  I was thinking about the other thread on Catholic charity for Orthodox jurisdictions...material help. 

So sorry...pretend I wasn't here...please  Smiley

It happens.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »

It happens.

Yabbut lately it seems to be happening more often!!   Tongue

synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »

Only in your confession.
In the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, unlike your confession, we don't believe that any man has the authority to condemn anyone to hell. I'm surprised to learn that your bishops seem to think they have such authority, and even more surprised that you believe them. And unlike your bishops, ours do not make such offerings to Satan.
In the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, to pronounce someone "anathema" means to cut them off from the Church and hand them over to the judgement of God.

There is proof to the contrary.
The Russian Orthodox Church a couple years ago renewed an anathema on the Hetman Ivan Mazepa, for cooperating with the Swedes against the Russian Tsar. What sense there is in that, I do not know. There are plenty of Orthodox anathemas. The Greek Church had anathemised Nikos Kazantzakis and Constantine Kavafis? What for? For promoting Orthodoxy outside of Greece by way of literature. These anathemas were in the previous century.
Excommunication is officially damnation. Anathema is excommunication, the excommunicated, if they do not repent are damned.

That formula could be an invention of the author, it has no source. I truly wonder what is the source of that material. The best sources of Papal statements, as we all know, are Calvinist and Lutheran apologetic tracts. The Protestants seem to know the Pope than most Christians.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »

I was reading some of the comments on Fr. Z's blog entry. I like this one:

Fr_Sotelo says:
25 May 2011 at 1:45 pm
I think the Holy Father has a funny look on his face, like when some people open up a Christmas present and find mittens your aunt knitted for you, but which you don’t want to be caught dead in LOL. Caption: The Holy Father thinks, “A tiara! I would rather have the QUIRINALE PALACE. And while we’re at it, just give me back the Papal States.”

Benedict XVI is not a triregnum sort of guy. But he would like very nice up on the sedia, with the flabelli ostrich plumes, the Palatine Noble Guard, papal tiara, and the precious cope that looks like it weighs 50 pounds.

One of the other commenters provided this link about JPII being given a Tiara in 1981:
http://hallowedground.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/did-you-know/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:58:35 PM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags: catholic  orthodox  Ecumenism  papacy  tiara 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: