OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 08:02:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fascinating conspiracy theory on the Sinai Pantocrator.  (Read 1708 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: February 23, 2011, 02:30:22 AM »

My favorite icon of Christ...has been translated into some incrdible antiChrist theory.

I hope this isn't blasphemous, but I thought it was mildly amusing how one could construct such a thing

http://www.drjoye.com/research6.html

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:37:42 AM »

Lol, linking Christ Pantocrator to the Bohemian Grove cult (in fact this whole article) is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. Do people even think about these things before posting them on the internet? This honestly reminds me of that thread someone posted a few months ago on Prince Charles being the Antichrist.

I also love how the article refers to "evil emperor" Justinian. Is this a distinct position from the emperor? Perhaps similar to the co-emperor? The emperor's evil brother?

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:52:01 AM »

Practically all icons of Christ Pantokrator show a slight difference in the "look" of each eye. As in anything in Orthodoxy, this is not accidental. One eye looks more stern, the other benevolent. The reason for this is to show that He is the Righteous Judge, yet infinite in His mercy and love. This difference should be kept subtle, whereas in the Sinai icon, it is quite obvious.

There's no doubt that the character who did the Photoshopping has not the slightest idea about what iconography is and stands for. Heck, I reckon the same technique could be done on most people's ID photos, and come up with the same results.  Roll Eyes Shocked laugh
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:54:41 AM »

Wait I thought it showcased Him being both human and God? There was a link I had awhile ago that went into quite depth in the theology of the icon, including why the eyebrow is shaped as it is. Don't have it with me though. Sad

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:02:53 AM »

Wait I thought it showcased Him being both human and God?

Of course it does. One iconographic feature may have a number of meanings, and the two natures of Christ is one of them. I simply didn't want to write an essay on it, as I all too often do on matters of iconography.  laugh
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:16 AM »

"Pantocrator” is the Greek word meaning “Ruler of All,” and many icons are modeled after this original.  Christ is traditionally shown with a short beard and long dark hair parted in the middle, holding a jewel-studded Book of the Gospels in His left arm and blessing us with His right hand.  Three fingers touch representing His Divinity, and two fingers are up to symbolize that He is fully God and fully Man, the forefinger bent for His Incarnation.

The Saviour has a serious and intent look, like the King of All looking upon His people.  His face is not symmetrical but has a look of dignity and calmness on one side and a different look of arching of the eyebrows causing enlivenment on the other.  These dissimilar but complimentary impressions strike a harmony between the Divine and Human Natures of Christ.  Worked in an encaustic or wax-melting technique, this great treasure from the sixth century is one of the earliest icons of Christ still in existence.  It is one of the famous icons at St. Catherine’s Monastery at the foot of Mount Sinai preserved by the ideal climate and in the lack of the 8th and 9th centurys’ iconoclastic persecution in that area."
http://www.skete.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=83

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »

I also love how the article refers to "evil emperor" Justinian. Is this a distinct position from the emperor? Perhaps similar to the co-emperor? The emperor's evil brother?

Bizaaaarrroo Justinian!

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »

If you apply the same level of rationality to pictures of her...

You can find lots of pictures of her handing out an apple.

In Renaissance Europe paintings of people handing eachother apples was symbolic of sodomy!

You can find pictures of her wearing white gloves. You know who also wears white gloves? The Pope!

Her picture also shows her with white hair and orange skin... you know who else has white hair and orange skin? Svantovit, the Slav pagan god of fire.

THEREFORE... its painfully obvious that Dr. Joye is really a Renaissance era Pope named Svantovit.

(And if it somehow isn't obvious I'm not being serious at all).
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »

OMGosh!  What nonsense!

Some people really have too much time on their hands....and way too active an imagination.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »

I didn't know that 6th century monks had Photoshop! Wow!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:16:51 AM »

Bizaaaarrroo Justinian!
One of the funniest Sealabs ever!
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 01:07:20 AM »

Yup. End of story. Give the man a cigar! laugh laugh laugh
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:07:40 AM by LBK » Logged
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »

What is this, I don't even...

It's like if Zeitgeist and the Da vinci code had a protestant baby.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 01:26:15 AM »

It's like if Zeitgeist and the Da vinci code had a protestant baby.

Yuk!! Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Shocked Shocked
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »

So, apparently both Rowan Williams and Abp. Daniel DiNardo will be the last Pope...

http://www.drjoye.com/research10.html

Herr Jesus Christus, Sohns Gottes, erbarme dich meiner, eines Suenders.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

If you apply the same level of rationality to pictures of her...

You can find lots of pictures of her handing out an apple.

In Renaissance Europe paintings of people handing eachother apples was symbolic of sodomy!

You can find pictures of her wearing white gloves. You know who also wears white gloves? The Pope!

Her picture also shows her with white hair and orange skin... you know who else has white hair and orange skin? Svantovit, the Slav pagan god of fire.

THEREFORE... its painfully obvious that Dr. Joye is really a Renaissance era Pope named Svantovit.

(And if it somehow isn't obvious I'm not being serious at all).

Sehr gut!!! laugh

BTW, here is the culprit (from her own site):

"Dr. Joye Jeffries Pugh is an alumna of South Georgia College, Valdosta State College and Nova University where she received her doctorate in education. Her background involves working as a researcher, counselor, mental retardation professional, human services director and consultant."

Doesn't she inspire you to get one of them thar educashion sheepskins from Nova "University"?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:18:01 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »

Of, course they did, all ancient Christian monks had access to technology light-years beyond what we have. But since they were all apart of the evil cult to defame Jesus and have to whole world worship Satan this has been hidden in secret files in a place called Watergate. And everybody knows that the Masons are behind all of this...  police

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »

Wait I thought it showcased Him being both human and God? There was a link I had awhile ago that went into quite depth in the theology of the icon, including why the eyebrow is shaped as it is. Don't have it with me though. Sad
you know what's just...well, neat to do?  Take a piece of paper and cover half of this icon.  then the other half.  On one side, Christ is loving, on the other, he's more stern looking. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »

I think the article is taking Dan Brown novels too seriously. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:28:56 PM by Gamliel » Logged
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »

Of, course they did, all ancient Christian monks had access to technology light-years beyond what we have. But since they were all apart of the evil cult to defame Jesus and have to whole world worship Satan this has been hidden in secret files in a place called Watergate. And everybody knows that the Masons are behind all of this...  police

And yet, according to her page here-
So, apparently both Rowan Williams and Abp. Daniel DiNardo will be the last Pope...

it's perfectly okay to go to forged prophecies of 12th century Roman Catholic bishops to try and determine who the last pope/antichrist will be.

As long as we're at it, looking at the original post's link and the above posted by Volnutt (scroll down to the censer pics) if you ever travel through Georgia think twice about drinking the water, as it's obviously been dosed LSD.  That or she's been picking her own mushrooms.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »

And yet, according to her page here-

it's perfectly okay to go to forged prophecies of 12th century Roman Catholic bishops to try and determine who the last pope/antichrist will be.

As long as we're at it, looking at the original post's link and the above posted by Volnutt (scroll down to the censer pics) if you ever travel through Georgia think twice about drinking the water, as it's obviously been dosed LSD.  That or she's been picking her own mushrooms.

Why do you think the wife and I had a britta filter and my alcohol consumption went up when we lived there?  Tongue

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »

That was... wow.  Sad
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 09:27:08 PM »

That's insane.

And...Evil Emperor Justinian?! I'm scandalized! SAINT Justinian is one of the most prolific hymnologists of the Church. Only Begotten Son and Immortal Word of God is one of my most favorite hymns!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 09:50:20 PM »

Wrong.  The name of the last Pope will be Waldo.  Why do you think we were warmed up to the name in the book Where's Waldo? angel
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:51:45 PM by Gamliel » Logged
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »

As long as we're at it, looking at the original post's link and the above posted by Volnutt (scroll down to the censer pics) if you ever travel through Georgia think twice about drinking the water, as it's obviously been dosed LSD.  That or she's been picking her own mushrooms.
Either that or the genie from Aladdin is in on the conspiracy.
Wrong.  The name of the last Pope will be Waldo.  Why do you think we were warmed up to the name in the book Where's Waldo? angel
No, it's Kevin Bacon with his evil six degrees* of separation prophecy. When he takes the Papal throne, the forces of darkness will truly cut Footloose. He'll commit Murder in the First that will make the death of JFK look tame! Don't be such Sleeprs! We need to look at the Big Picture and not just listen to He Said, She Said lest we all become Flatliners when the Tremors of apocalypse hit!

*Degrees=Freemasonry!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:40:26 AM by Volnutt » Logged

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »

And...Evil Emperor Justinian?! I'm scandalized! SAINT Justinian is one of the most prolific hymnologists of the Church. Only Begotten Son and Immortal Word of God is one of my most favorite hymns!

Is he a Saint?
Volnutt
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »

Yeah. So is Empress Theodora http://orthodoxwiki.org/Justinian_the_Great http://orthodoxwiki.org/Theodora_%28wife_of_Justinian%29
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:44:34 PM by Volnutt » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: