OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 05:53:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post-Enlightenment Developments, Roman Catholicism, and Orthodoxy  (Read 3575 times) Average Rating: 0
jordanz

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 03:34:52 PM »

I safely left the rest to those who were fed by other kinds of devotions.

We are not commanded to follow any private revelation.

I knew there was something suspicious about Medjugorje as soon as I stepped off the bus, but I didn't want to tell Mom who shelled out quite a bit of money to take me there.  I was quite ill at the time and she thought she was taking me to a healing shrine.  Some people go every year.  Bosnia is a beautiful country, but I wouldn't go back just for Medjugorje.  I did feel somewhat sorry for the locals who were caught up in the whole sorry hoax, but they have to make a living as well.  Somehow, I got the sense that the locals didn't take Medjugorje all that seriously either (they shouldn't).

According to the Church, Lourdes is not a hoax.  It's also a beautiful shrine.  Some people (again, like my mother) have thought that shrines healed, not God.  That is certainly the temptation with any apparition and shrine, approved or not.  Some people, however, are very centered on the material and experiential.  Shrines and relics are important for them as they provide a concrete manifestation of the sacred.  I could live on more abstract fare.  The vacations were nice, though.    

I even met Vassula!  She is creepy, let me tell you.  That's all.  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:36:42 PM by jordanz » Logged
Milica

Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »

I safely left the rest to those who were fed by other kinds of devotions.

We are not commanded to follow any private revelation.

I knew there was something suspicious about Medjugorje as soon as I stepped off the bus, but I didn't want to tell Mom who shelled out quite a bit of money to take me there.  I was quite ill at the time and she thought she was taking me to a healing shrine.  Some people go every year.  Bosnia is a beautiful country, but I wouldn't go back just for Medjugorje.  I did feel somewhat sorry for the locals who were caught up in the whole sorry hoax, but they have to make a living as well.  Somehow, I got the sense that the locals didn't take Medjugorje all that seriously either (they shouldn't).

According to the Church, Lourdes is not a hoax.  It's also a beautiful shrine.  Some people (again, like my mother) have thought that shrines healed, not God.  That is certainly the temptation with any apparition and shrine, approved or not.  Some people, however, are very centered on the material and experiential.  Shrines and relics are important for them as they provide a concrete manifestation of the sacred.  I could live on more abstract fare.  The vacations were nice, though.    

I even met Vassula!  She is creepy, let me tell you.  That's all.  

Medjugorje is a place where hundreds of Serbs were slaughtered for being Orthodox. You really think that the Blessed Virgin would appear to the very people whose ancestors killed the Serbs in cold blood?
And who the heck is Vassula?

Glory to Thee, O our God, glory to Thee!

O God, be merciful to me, a sinner.

O Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, by the prayers of Thy most pure Mother, and all the saints, have mercy upon us.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2011, 11:07:28 PM »

Medjugorje is a place where hundreds of Serbs were slaughtered for being Orthodox. You really think that the Blessed Virgin would appear to the very people whose ancestors killed the Serbs in cold blood?
And who the heck is Vassula?

God doesn't talk to bad people. Especially, kids of bad people.

I'm going to need this.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: