OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 06:34:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paperback Orthodox Bible  (Read 1433 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: May 23, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »

There used to be a paperback version of the Orthodox Study Bible, (New Testament.)

Does that still exist? 

If not, what is a good alternative for prisoners who can't have hard bound books.  I know there is a leather version of the OSB, but we need something cheaper.

My priest liked giving the paperback OSB to prisoners he visited, but he now needs an alternative since it doesn't exist anymore. (Or does it? I hope I'm wrong.)

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:31:27 AM »

There was a paperback of the OSB NT and psalms. I don't think they ever had a paperback of the whole thing (I could be wrong).

If Amazon is anything to go by, it is out of print now.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:51 AM »

That's the one that I'm talking about:  The paperback New Testament and Psalms of the OSB.  It's too bad that it is out of print, as it was good for prison ministry.

I'm wondering now what paperback Bible exists out there that Orthodox chaplains use in US prisons.

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 01:53:54 AM »

According to the Publishers website they still sell the hardcover edition of the NT + psalms, which seems odd... usually publishers abandon the hardcover for the paperback. (due to much lower print costs)
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:03 AM »

Yeah, that really is odd.  You would think they would keep the paper back instead.  It provides a cheaper alternative for those who don't have a lot of money.  Also, as noted above, the paper back can be used in prison ministry, since prisoners can't have hard backed books.  It doesn't make sense to me that they would get rid of the paper back and keep the hard back.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:30:58 AM »

Someone contact Dn. Michael Hyatt, he has influence in the company, to put it lightly, and ought to be sympathetic to Orthodox prison ministry

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »

Someone contact Dn. Michael Hyatt, he has influence in the company, to put it lightly, and ought to be sympathetic to Orthodox prison ministry
Isn't he the CEO?
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »

Isn't he the CEO?

Was the CEO. He turned the position over to someone else recently.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »

He's still Chairman though, last I read.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »

What company are you talking about?

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »

What company are you talking about?
Thomas-Nelson.
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »

I would actually like a mini-Bible version, it would probably have to be without the commentary and such but a mini, pocket-sized version would be nice.
In addition to one available on the Iphone
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 08:42:40 PM »

A very nice poster here gave me this link to the Greek Archdiocese, which has the paper back New Testament:

http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/bibles/study-bibles/nkjv-orthodox-study-new-testament-paperback.html

Hooray for the Greeks!   Smiley

Thank you, very nice poster.   Smiley

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »

I would actually like a mini-Bible version, it would probably have to be without the commentary and such but a mini, pocket-sized version would be nice.
In addition to one available on the Iphone

This may be what you want:

http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/bibles/the-orthodox-military-new-testament-rsv.html

I was actually thinking of this as a possible replacement for the paper back OSB.  The thing that made me think twice, though, was the fact that it's the RSV version, which some people find hard to read, especially if you are not a native speaker of English. 

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 01:00:33 AM »

Why exactly do military members need their own special Bible?  Next we'll have Orthodox Mothers Bible, Orthodox Father's Bible, Orthodox Son's Bible, Orthodox Daughter's Bible, and Orthdox Grandparent's Bible.  After that, they'll follow it up with Orthodox Firefighter's Bible and Orthdox Policeman's Bible.  In the third round they'll include the Orthodox Chef's Bible.  Pretty soon the Orthodox will rival Chicken Soup for the Soul.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 02:08:20 AM »

I guess the idea is that soldiers have a particularly scary job and need all the help, support and comfort they can get.  They have special New Testaments for soldiers in Armenia also, which you can see at about two and a half minutes into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArmenianChurch#p/u/239/ciKhm41IC0o

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 02:44:11 AM »

I would agree that members of the military do have a tough and - in most people's case - frightening job, especially when they are overseas.  However, shouldn't the message of the Gospels be enough?  What makes a "military" Bible so different from other Bibles?  Do they change the words?  The only thing I have ever been able to notice is that they will usually include a handful of pages (if that many) of pro-military stuff and then they are usually either covered in a flag pattern or occasionally in camo.  I could see how maybe you would have a military study Bible, with many articles and footnotes that relate to the military.  However, any instance I've ever seen of a military Bible just glorifies the military in a handful of pages with some quotes taken out of context from the rest of the book of the Bible, and wrapped in a flag and patriotism.  All the ones I've seen in stores seem to just glorify the military, the state, and war.  I don't see this as productive to anyone's soul's state.

P.S. I have no idea what they were saying in the video, and so my question could be totally stupid, but couldn't those Bibles in the video simply have been camo on the cover so that they could blend in in the event they are present at a battlefield?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 03:05:33 AM »

I think the basic idea is to have the camouflage on the cover so they blend in.  I mean, if you are on a border where enemy snipers are nearby, you don't want a Bible with a shiny red cover sticking out of your pocket.   Smiley

I've seen the military Bibles sold by the Greek Archdiocese, and if I recall correctly, they also have icons and prayers inside them.  They are kind of nice, and I would imagine they are good for other people beside soldiers.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »

That's the thing.  If a military Bible has much spiritual use, it is almost certainly useful to everyone, and so why not just publish it as the X Publishing House Study Bible or X Publishing House Orthodox Bible with Prayers?  Why does it have to be marketed toward members of the military unless the difference is just that it is camo so that it can keep people who have it at the front lines don't get shot?  I have nothing against a Bible targeted toward the military that is in camo.  But I don't know why we need to market Bibles to specific groups.  If the prayers and icons are useful to those outside the military, will you then start to publish the exact same thing as the Housewife's Bible?  Or as the Priest's Bible?  Or as the Teacher's Bible?  Why does a Bible need to be marketed to specific groups like that?

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »

That's the thing.  If a military Bible has much spiritual use, it is almost certainly useful to everyone, and so why not just publish it as the X Publishing House Study Bible or X Publishing House Orthodox Bible with Prayers?  Why does it have to be marketed toward members of the military unless the difference is just that it is camo so that it can keep people who have it at the front lines don't get shot?  I have nothing against a Bible targeted toward the military that is in camo.  But I don't know why we need to market Bibles to specific groups.  If the prayers and icons are useful to those outside the military, will you then start to publish the exact same thing as the Housewife's Bible?  Or as the Priest's Bible?  Or as the Teacher's Bible?  Why does a Bible need to be marketed to specific groups like that?

Because the military are often placed in a very unique situation by serving overseas or in combat situations. Anyone who follows the activities of St. George's Orthodox Military Association will quickly become aware that unique resources have been produced directly aimed at service members. Such resources may be useful to those outside of the military, but they may not be needed.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. The military has unique needs and is being served with unique solutions. Are you going to call up OCF next and ask why they only market Connect Kits to graduating high school students and college/university students??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »

I don't mean to suggest that no Orthodox materials should ever be targeted to specific groups.  I just don't have the first clue why anyone would think those in the military need their own specially produced Bible.  Is it not the same Bible that anyone else has?  Does it have special verses not included in other Bibles?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »

It's back in print:

http://store.ancientfaith.com/orthodox-study-bible-new-testament-psalms-paperback/

Now prisoners can have Orthodox Bibles again.   Smiley

Thank you Antiochians!

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!

What curls do on a bad hair day!

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »

I don't mean to suggest that no Orthodox materials should ever be targeted to specific groups.  I just don't have the first clue why anyone would think those in the military need their own specially produced Bible.  Is it not the same Bible that anyone else has?  Does it have special verses not included in other Bibles?

The Orthodox Military New Testament also includes devotional morning and evening prayers, a page to list the living and the dead for prayer, 8 full-color icon plates, and a devotional piece on the ten commandments and integrity in military service.

...but its also a 'packable' size...since most deployed folks don't have 3 suitcases and a carry on....basically enabling them to carry -one- small book and 'survive' as an Orthodox Christian in what are some fairly unfriendly places.

And it is being given -free- to military folks.  You however can buy it for 5 bucks...Wink

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 11:45:10 PM »

The Orthodox Military New Testament also includes devotional morning and evening prayers, a page to list the living and the dead for prayer, 8 full-color icon plates, and a devotional piece on the ten commandments and integrity in military service.

...but its also a 'packable' size...since most deployed folks don't have 3 suitcases and a carry on....basically enabling them to carry -one- small book and 'survive' as an Orthodox Christian in what are some fairly unfriendly places.

And it is being given -free- to military folks.  You however can buy it for 5 bucks...Wink

Is there a link to buy the Orthodox Military NT? Does it contain the Psalms too?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 11:48:18 PM »

Is there a link to buy the Orthodox Military NT? Does it contain the Psalms too?

There was a link further up in the thread...but they have come out with  revised version and yes....it has the psalms too

http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/bibles/english-rsv-/military-orthodox-new-testament-and-psalms-leadership-100-rsv.html

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 12:19:05 AM »

And they have a New Testament and Psalms for "Orthodox Youth."

http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/bibles/orthodox-youth-new-testament-and-psalms-rsv.html

I don't get that.  Does that mean old ladies like me can't use it?   Cheesy

Seriously, though.  I wonder if it is the Military NT with a different cover.  That would be great, but why market it only to "Youth?"  I understand wanting to get the youth into reading the Gospels, but it makes the rest of us feel left out.   Smiley

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 01:04:35 AM »

And they have a New Testament and Psalms for "Orthodox Youth."

http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/bibles/orthodox-youth-new-testament-and-psalms-rsv.html

I don't get that.  Does that mean old ladies like me can't use it?   Cheesy

Seriously, though.  I wonder if it is the Military NT with a different cover.  That would be great, but why market it only to "Youth?"  I understand wanting to get the youth into reading the Gospels, but it makes the rest of us feel left out.   Smiley

Gray power at work!  laugh

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 10:31:49 PM »

http://oca.org/news/headline-news/ancient-faith-ministries-ocpm-partner-to-reprint-orthodox-study-bible-nt-an

Ancient Faith Publishing, in partnership with Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry (OCPM), is pleased to bring back the paperback edition of the Orthodox Study Bible New Testament and Psalms.

This Bible, which has been out of print for two years, is in high demand among those who prefer a more affordable Orthodox Study Bible and those who serve America’s prison population because the majority of state and federal prisons will not allow inmates to have hardback books/Bibles.

Tags: Orthodox Study Bible prison ministry 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: