OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 11:19:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on the Good News Translation Bible?  (Read 2688 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: May 23, 2011, 05:06:38 PM »

Christ is Risen!

One of my all-time favorite translations of the Holy Bible is the Good News Translation with Deuterocanonicals/Apocrypha.  For me, it's so much easier to understand than the KJV and even the NKJV but without the ridiculousness of translations like "The Message".  Anyone else feel the same way? Why or why not?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:22:08 PM »

Y'all have no thoughts on the GNT?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »

Never read it, though I'm puzzled why a fluent Anglophone would need something easier than the NKJV.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:39:37 PM »

Isn't the GN Bible the version they based the musical/movie "Godspell" on? 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »

Godspell's lyrics are largely taken from the 1940 Episcopal hymnal, to the point where the actual hymn numbers are credited, but the rest of the words were provided by Stephen Schwartz based on passages from Matthew and Luke (and in some versions a short passage from Genesis).
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »

Christ is Risen!

One of my all-time favorite translations of the Holy Bible is the Good News Translation with Deuterocanonicals/Apocrypha.  For me, it's so much easier to understand than the KJV and even the NKJV but without the ridiculousness of translations like "The Message".  Anyone else feel the same way? Why or why not?

I don't like it. I looked through one a while back and found a number of spots that I didn't like the tranlation. One example I remember seeing is the use of "happy" in stead of "blessed" in the magnificat.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Monk Cyprian

Hooray! I'm useful!

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »

Strictly speaking the greek word there (makaria) could be translated either "blessed" or "happy", so it isn't a wrong translation technically.  Now, for what it's worth, I too, agree that "happy" is a poor way of phrasing it.

It's not the worst paraphrase out there.  But I think that as long as you keep in mind that it is just a paraphrase, and don't have unrealistic expectations of it as such, you'll be okay.

All paraphrases tend to interpret the text to a greater or lesser degree (actually, the same could be said for more literal translations too!).  Just keep a more accurate translation around for comparison when you come across something fishy.  Keep yourself grounded in Orthodox theology by reading the fathers, and other stuff recommended by your priest.

Was it Divine Liturgy in English in XIXth Century Russia?  No, it was not I am the telling you!  Is OUTRAGE!  Now is to be Slavonic music and Byzantine vestment in same church. This is what when KGB run the seminary.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 07:02:37 PM »

The GOA publishes an Orthodox edition of the New Testament.

http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=19184

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 07:17:01 PM »

Christ is risen!
Never read it, though I'm puzzled why a fluent Anglophone would need something easier than the NKJV.
When my son was in Kindergarten and the primary grades he read it.  His mother found it easier too, though her English was eventually very fluent.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:22 PM »

Thanks for the responses, brothers.  I didn't realize this version is a "paraphrase"; I'm not even sure I know what a "paraphrase" Bible is. 

Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 07:47:57 PM »

It's not a paraphrase; you're confusing it with the Living Bible.
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »

Isn't the GN Bible the version they based the musical/movie "Godspell" on? 

The movie The Gospel of John was based on this translation.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 08:02:39 PM »

It was requested by African missionaries to use with those for whom English was a second language.

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 08:36:05 PM »

Christ is risen!

It was requested by African missionaries to use with those for whom English was a second language.
I've seen that in Egypt.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Jack Kirby

Faith: Christian

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 07:31:27 AM »

Read the GOOD NEWS BIBLE on your iPhone.

http://www.goodnewsbible.com

It's handy, beautiful and a very immersive reading experience and includes

• Complete Good News text
  • Graphically rich Timeline
  • 60+ Quizzes
  • Who's Who profiles for Bible characters
  • Comprehensive Dictionary
  • Life Issues
  • Inspirational Quotes
Some Screenshots

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 08:57:36 AM »

No, the GNT is a paraphrase Bible. it tries to give you the gist of the meaning, not an actual translation.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 08:58:16 AM »

No, the GNT (or rather, the TEV) is a paraphrase Bible. it tries to give you the gist of the meaning, not an actual translation.

bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »

That's Psalm 22, not 23 police

I think new modern translations suffer much in the Psalter, as this screenshot demonstrates. It does not have the poetic sound or cadence that other translations such as the KJV, RSV, HTM, or even NIV have. For some reason they always come off sounding like 6th grade poetry class.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:05:17 AM by bogdan » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »

No, the GNT is a paraphrase Bible. it tries to give you the gist of the meaning, not an actual translation.

Using Dynmaic versus Formal equivalence does not automatically define a work as a paraphrase.  The GNT was actually translated from the Hebrew and Greek whereas the Living Bible is a paraphrase of the American Standard Version.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »

Using Dynmaic versus Formal equivalence does not automatically define a work as a paraphrase.  The GNT was actually translated from the Hebrew and Greek whereas the Living Bible is a paraphrase of the American Standard Version.

Thank you for bringing truth here.

Although the GNV is awful IMHO.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »

I think its okay for what it is, a simpler text to help the young understand the Word.  As they grow we upgrade them to more appropriate versions like the RSV.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:10:10 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »

...more appropriate versions kike the RSV.

I just discovered that the Eastern Orthodox books have been accepted and included in the RSV.  Anyone own this version?  If so, what are your thoughts?

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 06:13:50 PM »

I just discovered that the Eastern Orthodox books have been accepted and included in the RSV.  Anyone own this version?  If so, what are your thoughts?
I do.  It is well done.  I believe the Antiochians use it for their lectionary.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »

Not that version, but the Oxford Annotated RSV contains the texts you are looking for as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 11:36:54 PM »

I just discovered that the Eastern Orthodox books have been accepted and included in the RSV.  Anyone own this version?  If so, what are your thoughts?

Not that version, but the Oxford Annotated RSV contains the texts you are looking for as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481

Thank you, brother!  I'm trying to get more serious about reading the Scriptures daily so I appreciate all y'all's insight.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:37:31 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Keble
Warned
Archon

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 09:17:20 AM »

I have it and use it as my standard bible. If you have a bee in your bonnet about "almah" then this version isn't going to make you happy, but otherwise I prefer the RSV as the best compromise version-- that is, the version that reflects the widest range of people working on it.

The problem, unfortunately, is that this version is long out of print. I don't see it in Amazon, for instance, although interestingly there are a number of editions of the Catholic version and of course the Oxford Annotated uses the Anglican version (including the Apocrypha).
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 01:34:07 PM »

I am not a fan of the Good News Bible. Of course, I lean quite heavily into the formal equivalence school of translation. Becoming Orthodox actually softened that a bit, as beauty and cadence of the text becomes liturgically important. However, dynamic translations like the GN Bible read, as Isa said, more like sixth grade poems. Not to mention the occasional inaccurate translation. Sometimes they just completely miss the point of what the passage is trying to say. Although, I can't too too rough on them, semantic range can be a tricky thing!

That said, I prefer the KJV or NKJV. NIV in a pinch. RSV, as mentioned above, is also nice, albeit clunky in places. I believe the Oxford RSV w/ Apocrypha is Fr. Tom Hopko's favorite translation.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 12:28:27 PM »

Bought it last night!  Thanks again, brother.  Smiley

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »

Christ is risen!

Bought it last night!  Thanks again, brother.  Smiley
An excellent purchase. When I use English, this is what I use.

Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 12:03:52 AM »

some comments from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_News_Bible:

Since the focus is strongly on ease of understanding, poetry is sometimes sacrificed for clarity. This choice can be seen in the example quotation of John 3:16, which is rendered, "For God loved the world so much that …", which is more pedestrian than the familiar "For God so loved the world". The translated phrase contains a literal, if not figurative, mistranslation: the Greek word for "so" in that passage is Οὕτως, which means "in such a way", not "so much". Because the implication of the phrase "in such a way that he would sacrifice his only son" includes the implication of "so much" and could certainly not include the opposite "loved the world so little," the translators chose the phrase "so much" for its brevity and clarity.

The GNB has been challenged as to the degree of accuracy one of the translators maintained to the Greek texts. Concern was raised after Robert Bratcher made public statements questioning the inerrancy and inspiration of scripture in March 1981, as well as deriding those who hold to such views as dishonest or wilfully ignorant. Many people believe that Bratcher's viewpoints unduly influenced what was written into the GNB. His speech so outraged many churches that they withheld monetary donations to the American Bible Society, a move that nearly bankrupted the ABS. The ABS requested Bratcher's resignation later that year.

Further statements from Bratcher and subsequent investigation of the GNB cause some to believe that it weakens or undermines other key doctrines, such as the virgin birth of Christ; it failed the "Isaiah 7:14 litmus test" that had been used by conservative Christians since the publication of the Revised Standard Version in 1952.

The GNB has also come under heavy criticism from the Ethiopian Orthodox Church for substituting the designation "Sudan" (originally referring to Western Africa) in place of the original word Kush in Hebrew, Ethiopia in the Septuagint.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »

^^

Thanks for educating me on the GNT!  Though I still find some of the passages a little easier to understand in the GNT, I'll definitely not use it as often as I had been.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: