OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:27:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My daughter is allergic to bread and wine  (Read 3037 times) Average Rating: 0
deuteros

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:08 AM »

I have a three month old daughter. She has a rare and extreme form of protein intolerance in which she will become sick and in pain if she ingests any form of protein. She cannot even tolerate breastmilk and must be fed a special prescription formula.

I am wondering about the Eucharist. She has taken the Eucharist since she has been baptized but she had a negative reaction and seemed to be in pain for the rest of the day after taking it.

We have spoken to our priest about it and he is going to research solutions. I am wondering if there is any precedent for someone like her? It's possible that she may outgrow this in a couple of years but what should we do in the meantime?
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Is she able to take even a few tiny drops of the precious blood, with no bread? There was an infant at my parish yesterday who had the spoon dipped in the chalice and basically only took what was stuck to the spoon, not enough to even swallow anything. But even with that tiny amount, it's still the fullness of Christ. Or is the reaction so strong that nothing is tolerable?

It might even be worth getting in touch with your bishop about it, though your priest is probably already doing that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:29:21 AM by bogdan » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:46:34 AM »

There's a case of this in the Greek Orthodox Archdicese of Australia. The child's reaction to wheat protien was so severe that simply inhaling a particle of flour caused anaphylactic shock. Our Archbishop would not permit Communion of the Blood only, even in this case.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
deuteros

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »

There's a case of this in the Greek Orthodox Archdicese of Australia. The child's reaction to wheat protien was so severe that simply inhaling a particle of flour caused anaphylactic shock. Our Archbishop would not permit Communion of the Blood only, even in this case.

What was the solution? To not take the Eucharist at all?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:45:33 AM »

Perhaps you could look into rice breads, bean breads, etc.
Perhaps you could bring some to the church and have your priest take a special part of it during the transmuting...

Research wines, she may have trouble with grapes, but fruits may be okay.  Perhaps he could give her communion from one of those "portable" little church communion things for her especially.  

Perhaps even non-fermented juice....

You have been asked not to post statements not in line with the teaching of the Church in this section as a non-Orthodox Christian. You receive a 14-day-long warning - Michał Kalina.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:22:09 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »

What was the solution?
Faith.

deuteros

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »

Perhaps you could bring some to the church and have your priest take a special part of it during the transmuting...
I can't imagine any Orthodox priest or bishop ever suggesting this as a solution.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »

I can't imagine any Orthodox priest or bishop ever suggesting this as a solution.

We've had gluten free antidoron in the past, but I don't think the Lamb was ever gluten-free--we use several loaves a Sunday.

I would suggest, if I may, Holy Unction and a prayer service/molieben.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »

Those of Rome have low-gluten hosts. Maybe she could receive a particle of a low-gluten Lamb (if low-gluten Lamb's are allowed)?

Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy!

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »

Is there any suppressant medicine that works, even briefly?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:52:08 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »

Interesting. I've observed communing of the Blood only for very young children in several jurisdictions but maybe that practice varies.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:06:20 PM by bogdan » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »

I have a three month old daughter. She has a rare and extreme form of protein intolerance in which she will become sick and in pain if she ingests any form of protein.

Lord have mercy! Any chance of her "growing" out of it?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

A reasonable man.

Lord have mercy! And I kvetch about my somewhat serious allergy to some of the incense. My priest uses less when I am there and during Holy Week he really cut back according many of the parishioners.

Can't imagine such an affliction . . .

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »

I have a three month old daughter. She has a rare and extreme form of protein intolerance in which she will become sick and in pain if she ingests any form of protein. She cannot even tolerate breastmilk and must be fed a special prescription formula.

I am wondering about the Eucharist. She has taken the Eucharist since she has been baptized but she had a negative reaction and seemed to be in pain for the rest of the day after taking it.

We have spoken to our priest about it and he is going to research solutions. I am wondering if there is any precedent for someone like her? It's possible that she may outgrow this in a couple of years but what should we do in the meantime?
Exposure or repeated exposure to the same antigen/antigens as an exception to due medical caution is potentially very dangerous. You don't want your little one in anaphalactic shock. You should definitely ask your doctor or an immunologist before allowing her to ingest *even a particle* of anything known to be antigenic to her. Lord have mercy! And whatever you do, do not accept statements about what might be medically appropriate over the internet. I'm sure your priest will be very careful, but please run everything by your doctor too. Christ our God, richly bless this dear child!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:25:09 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »

Interesting. I've observed communing of the Blood only for very young children in several jurisdictions but maybe that practice varies.
What you have observed is the Communing of infants with the Blood in which the Body is intinctured. They are receiving both the Body and the Blood. If someone has a severe wheat allergy, they shouldn't sip water from a glass which has a piece of bread soaking in it for the same rEason as why we immerse the Body in the Blood in the Chalice for the Communion of the Faithful.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Yes, as its been mentioned, perhaps just  the Wine? In our parish we only give the Wine to infants, not the Bread.

In regards to if the allergies will dissipate, more than likely they will at least improve and become moderate, there are several ways to work our dietary allergies in time through increasing tolerance and balancing a diet.  That and many infants and newborns have health conditions an allergies that go away as these babies grow older acclimatizing to our world of allergens, contagions, and diseases.  Her immune system is just far more fragile then others at this current time.  Work together with your doctors and your priests not just in regards to the Communion issue, but in these severe allergies themselves, as curing and treating allergies is as much an active process as it can be with any other illness or disease.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »

A former assistant priest at our parish was severely allergic to wheat, yet he regularly served Liturgy and partook of the transformed Gifts without harm.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »

A former assistant priest at our parish was severely allergic to wheat, yet he regularly served Liturgy and partook of the transformed Gifts without harm.

This is important to note. No harm can come from the Holy Gifts for those who receive with faith, repentance, and proper preparation. As for little babies, the Lord Himself says, "Let the little children come unto Me."

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »

Our Archbishop would not permit Communion of the Blood only, even in this case.

Huh? Huh In the Polish Orthodox Church it's norm to the Blood only to those infants who cannot the Body swallow yet.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 04:12:43 PM »

Huh? Huh In the Polish Orthodox Church it's norm to the Blood only to those infants who cannot the Body swallow yet.
Please read reply No. 14.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

This is important to note. No harm can come from the Holy Gifts for those who receive with faith, repentance, and proper preparation. As for little babies, the Lord Himself says, "Let the little children come unto Me."

Hey, lets all be very very careful what we say and advice and suggest here.  The sister already mentioned that her daughter had significant effects from taking the Holy Communion which lasted the remained of that day, so we already have seen evidence that she should be cautious.  Some of the attitudes expressed here could be misconstrued to suggest that this illness is a matter of faith if is affects the Communion, we need to nip that in the bud right here and now.  God alone determines all validity, and if physical health impedes Holy Communion it is by no means an act of God in judgment for lack of faith, rather it is an opportunity for a further discovery of spiritual depth and faith in the crises.  This is why I continue to suggest the sister to keep discussing this actively both in cooperation with her own priests and physicians who know every day to day detail and event.

Yes, the Communion should be harmless, but if some harm then comes about our Church teaches that it is up to the individuals and their priests to sort out the cause and meaning of the matter.  We should be very careful then not to insinuate about such sacred and serious things.

Exposure or repeated exposure to the same antigen/antigens as an exception to due medical caution is potentially very dangerous. You don't want your little one in anaphalactic shock. You should definitely ask your doctor or an immunologist before allowing her to ingest *even a particle* of anything known to be antigenic to her. Lord have mercy! And whatever you do, do not accept statements about what might be medically appropriate over the internet. I'm sure your priest will be very careful, but please run everything by your doctor too. Christ our God, richly bless this dear child!

I would like to highlight the above advice, as I agree very much with the sentiments, and in collaboration with the priests, I think the OP would find the perfect combination of medical and spiritual guidance. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:26:36 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »

OK, so your bishop wouldn't allow for Blood from a chalice with no Body in it, but he would allow for Blood from a chalice with the Body in it, right?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »

Roll Eyes

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »

OK, so your bishop wouldn't allow for Blood from a chalice with no Body in it, but he would allow for Blood from a chalice with the Body in it, right?
Correct. And no other Orthodox Bishop who rightly divides the word of truth would allow Communion "of only one species". So please, can you and bogdan stop saying that Orthodox babies only receive the Blood when they Commune?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:31:24 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Michał
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »

Correct. And no other Orthodox Bishop who rightly divides the word of truth would allow Communion "of only one species". So please, can you and bogdan stop saying that Orthodox babies only receive the Blood when they Commune?

Let's imagine a situation when someone does receive the Blood only. What would happen then? Would such a person receive no Grace whatsoever?
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »

I would like to second what HabteSelassie already expressed.

Yes we believe that the Eucharist heals both body and soul, it is impossible for it to harm us, and there have happened many miracles surrounding this matter.
However, if a person (adult or child) gets sick from eating the Eucharist then is not his fault. To blame the believer for lack of faith when miracles do not happen is something we should not import from groups outside the Church.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »

I agree.

I am allergic atopic and have suffered anaphylactic shock where I passed out and had it not been for a wonderful neighbor, I might not be alive today.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »

Hey, lets all be very very careful what we say and advice and suggest here.  The sister already mentioned that her daughter had significant effects from taking the Holy Communion which lasted the remained of that day, so we already have seen evidence that she should be cautious.  Some of the attitudes expressed here could be misconstrued to suggest that this illness is a matter of faith if is affects the Communion, we need to nip that in the bud right here and now.
Good points. Smiley What we're talking about here is something that already HAS happened, not what may or may not happen. A little child got sick from consuming the Eucharist, so what is to be done about it?
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »

Hey, lets all be very very careful what we say and advice and suggest here.  The sister already mentioned that her daughter had significant effects from taking the Holy Communion which lasted the remained of that day, so we already have seen evidence that she should be cautious.  Some of the attitudes expressed here could be misconstrued to suggest that this illness is a matter of faith if is affects the Communion, we need to nip that in the bud right here and now.
Good points. Smiley What we're talking about here is something that already HAS happened, not what may or may not happen. A little child got sick from consuming the Eucharist, so what is to be done about it?

Very wise, PetertheAleut.

Little babies can be anointed, and can also receive Holy Unction with their family every Holy Wednesday.
There was a time when I could not receive the Holy Eucharist due to my severe allergies.
I was anointed with the oil of St. Nectarios, and now I am able to receive Holy Communion again.
Yes, our church has witnessed so many miracles.

Edited to remove accidental slashes. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:02:39 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »

No one but a physician (of the M.D. type, not the granny clampett internet expert type) should be addressing the "why" she got sick question.  

The physician will give the parameters from a medical point of view, making sure, through testing, etc., that all other possibilities are excluded.  The priest can work within these parameters from the faith point of view or get hierarchical or diocesan assistance on the matter.  If the physician's or priest's conclusions don't fit, get a second opinion.   Finally, don't forget the fact that God can and does work miracles. 
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 07:08:18 PM »

No one but a physician (of the M.D. type, not the granny clampett internet expert type) should be addressing the "why" she got sick question.  

The physician will give the parameters from a medical point of view, making sure, through testing, etc., that all other possibilities are excluded.  The priest can work within these parameters from the faith point of view or get hierarchical or diocesan assistance on the matter.  If the physician's or priest's conclusions don't fit, get a second opinion.   Finally, don't forget the fact that God can and does work miracles. 

Amen.

Thank you, Father, for an excellent post and excellent reminders.

I have witnessed so many miracles in our Holy Orthodox Catholic Church.
Honestly, I would not be alive today had these miracles not happened.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 10:22:08 PM »

How is it possible that Christ's Body and Blood could harm a child?

Clarification: I am not doubting the truthfulness of deutero's post. I am just confused as to how this could possibly be happening if his daughter truly received the Body and Blood of the Lord.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:30:33 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
deuteros

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »

The Eucharist still retains the chemical properties of bread and wine does it not?
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »

Let's imagine a situation when someone does receive the Blood only. What would happen then? Would such a person receive no Grace whatsoever?

Firstly, this probably would never happen, since, even when the Body and Blood are received separately (as in the Communion of the Clergy or the Liturgy of St. James), the Body is received first, so it is more likely that one would receive the Body and somehow not the Blood (as in the case where you had a massive stroke and died between receiving the Body and the Blood). Secondly, the only way this could happen is by accident - God receives the attempt but looks to the intention. If, on the other hand as you and bogdan were suggesting, the intention is to administer only the Blood, then the minister is a heretic and outside of the Orthodox Church, so I guess your question is whether the rites of schismatics have Grace. The only answer I can give you is that only Mysteries in the Orthodox Church certainly have Sacramental Grace, and that someone who intentionally administers the Mystery of Communion under one form only is not in the Orthodox Church. Smiley

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »

The Eucharist still retains the chemical properties of bread and wine does it not?

Yes, that would  be the point isn't it?

Wait, maybe you don't take this serious enough, but honestly, how could the Divine Flesh and Blood NOT potentially hurt people? In our EOTC Liturgy the priests offer a specific petition for those who are to receive the Communion to do it with all necessary severity, and then ceremoniously yet literally washes his hands of the whole affair letting any consequences good or bad from our reception fall upon ourselves.  That being said, regardless of the cause of the Communion causing illness in the infant, it is indeed the responsibility of the parents and the clergy to properly administer and receive the Communion so that no spiritual or even physical harm may result.  In this case, the child received the Communion and became ill, surely a sign from God that the child should not be receiving it as of yet. Plus, she did already receive it at least once, so we and the family can all rest assured that Divine Mysteries have already been administered and that Our Physician Jesus Christ is cooperating with us and the child's body for inevitable healing and Grace.  So if illness prevents a regular reception this should honestly be of no concern, as it is a matter of grave health.  If anything, the parents can still receive the Communion regularly to give them the Grace to endure through this tough ordeal.  

Stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:22:13 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 02:54:17 PM »

Yes, that would  be the point isn't it?

Wait, maybe you don't take this serious enough, but honestly, how could the Divine Flesh and Blood NOT potentially hurt people? In our EOTC Liturgy the priests offer a specific petition for those who are to receive the Communion to do it with all necessary severity, and then ceremoniously yet literally washes his hands of the whole affair letting any consequences good or bad from our reception fall upon ourselves.  That being said, regardless of the cause of the Communion causing illness in the infant, it is indeed the responsibility of the parents and the clergy to properly administer and receive the Communion so that no spiritual or even physical harm may result.  In this case, the child received the Communion and became ill, surely a sign from God that the child should not be receiving it as of yet. Plus, she did already receive it at least once, so we and the family can all rest assured that Divine Mysteries have already been administered and that Our Physician Jesus Christ is cooperating with us and the child's body for inevitable healing and Grace.  So if illness prevents a regular reception this should honestly be of no concern, as it is a matter of grave health.  If anything, the parents can still receive the Communion regularly to give them the Grace to endure through this tough ordeal.  

Stay blessed,
habte selassie

St. Mary of Egypt is a good example of a sinner who became a saint even though she did not receive Holy Communion for some 30 years while she was in the desert. Our Lord sent another saint to bring her Holy Communion, and shortly after receiving Our Blessed Lord in the Holy Eucharist, she fell asleep in the Lord.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:02:18 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »

I am allergic to bread, and the priest I have allows me to commune with blood only. So is Communnion with blood also problematic?
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 03:56:04 AM »

I am allergic to bread, and the priest I have allows me to commune with blood only. So is Communnion with blood also problematic?
See reply No. 14.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »

If I may...this is my belief on this topic.

Jesus was on the cross and said to the thief on the right, "Today you will be with me in paradise". I dont recall the thief taking Holy Communion. My point is a simple one. Jesus made an "Executive decision"......like I said, Im not stating anything definite, I'm just saying it cant be outside the realm of possiblility....Comments?

primuspilus
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:43:20 PM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
deuteros

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »

Okay so my priest consulted with about a dozen other priests and the consensus seemed to be to touch a tiny bit of the Eucharist on her lips. Since she has already taken it twice we all agreed to wait a few weeks for her GI tract to heal before giving it to her again.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 02:49:50 PM »

I don't think this is something that has been dogmatized, same with if the supposed chemical properties therein react in the same way. The Eucharist appears to operate differently than food, or so I have gathered.

Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 02:51:51 PM »

I don't think this is something that has been dogmatized, same with if the supposed chemical properties therein react in the same way. The Eucharist appears to operate differently than food, or so I have gathered.

However it would then seem unwise if unsure whether the Eucharist still retain the chemical properies of bread or wine or does not to offer advice which could potentially prove fatal to a child if acted upon.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »

Remember, any Christian recieves grace just by being in the presencs of our Lord in the eucharist, even if they can't partake.  I've heard of the priest blessing people at the entrance of the Gifts, and then they kiss the chalice.  although I've never seen this done, it could be better than nothing.  

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alcuin

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »

It's extremely dangerous and irresponsible to advise that this child ingest substances which are known to be medically dangerous to her on the faith that the Lord will work miracles. Do not tempt the Lord your God, and do not ignore medical science.

As for the condition itself, that's truly terrible, I had never thought of it before. I would consult your doctor and your priest, surely something can be done.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:07:17 PM by Alcuin » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2011, 03:12:30 PM »

It's extremely dangerous and irresponsible to advise that this child ingest substances which are known to be medically dangerous to her on the faith that the Lord will work miracles. Do not tempt the Lord your God, and do not ignore medical science.

As for the condition itself, that's truly terrible, I had never thought of it before. I would consult your doctor and your priest, surely something can be done.

Anyone can think what they want, but these are the Holy Gifts, not poison.

Jharek Carnelian

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »

That is a strawman, no poster at any point contended the Eucharist was poison. The thread started over a small child who suffers from a rare condition which is obviously very distressing for her parents. I think the situation presents both the priest and the parents of this child with great problems. However excepting a miracle to occur because it is wished for does indeed seem like putting God to the test and seems ill advised and would as a piece of advice if followed through have the potential to cause serious harm. Some Catholic and Orthodox forums (and others) I have used in the past specifically bar giving advice as regards serious medical issues and I think it is a wise policy.

These will pass,
Sorrowful.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »

That is a strawman, no poster at any point contended the Eucharist was poison. The thread started over a small child who suffers from a rare condition which is obviously very distressing for her parents. I think the situation presents both the priest and the parents of this child with great problems. However excepting a miracle to occur because it is wished for does indeed seem like putting God to the test and seems ill advised and would as a piece of advice if followed through have the potential to cause serious harm. Some Catholic and Orthodox forums (and others) I have used in the past specifically bar giving advice as regards serious medical issues and I think it is a wise policy.

As was stated above, it is not just a medical issue. I don't intend to get involved in emotional arguments here.

Jharek Carnelian

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »

Indeed. Emotional arguments tend to be non productive. Also it is of course not just a medical argument but that aspect is one of the central points to it. I think the point about putting God to the test sums up in many respects why having this child receive would be a poor idea. I think the priest acted with a great deal of wisdom in the compromise he has arrived at.

These will pass,
Sorrowful.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »

Indeed. Emotional arguments tend to be non productive. Also it is of course not just a medical argument but that aspect is one of the central points to it. I think the point about putting God to the test sums up in many respects why having this child receive would be a poor idea. I think the priest acted with a great deal of wisdom in the compromise he has arrived at.

I'm sorry. I have a hard time agreeing to the notion that it would be putting God to the test. My saint consumed Communion which had been spit up by a woman with rabies. He could have just wiped it up and burned it, but he consumed it instead. People were shocked since rabies is very contagious, but he said, "Nothing bad will happen. It is the Holy Gifts." And nothing bad did happen. There are many other cases with other saints and regular people, and no one accuses them of putting God to the test in a sinful way. The Holy Eucharist is a miracle in itself. It is Christ.

Jharek Carnelian

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »

As I said I believe this matter is best handled by the parents, the clergy directly concerned and qualified medical personnel. I think it highly unwise for any of us to offer advice regarding this situation where a serious medical condition is one of the key points. The saint you mention was a grown man and had a developed mind and conscience and his interior life was such I would suspect that he was not putting God to the test but rather acting in the knowledge that 'With God all things are possible.' This is not a comparable situation.

These will pass,
Sorrowful.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2011, 04:28:01 PM »

Smart Archbishop.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »

As I said I believe this matter is best handled by the parents, the clergy directly concerned and qualified medical personnel. I think it highly unwise for any of us to offer advice regarding this situation where a serious medical condition is one of the key points. The saint you mention was a grown man and had a developed mind and conscience and his interior life was such I would suspect that he was not putting God to the test but rather acting in the knowledge that 'With God all things are possible.' This is not a comparable situation.

Good advice. Thank you.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: