OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:47:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how easy is it to join the Catholic Church?  (Read 3862 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 22, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »

this is one of two different but not totally unrelated questions I'm posting about this experience.

how easy is it to join?  in the Church I used to attend, I went to watch my friend's confirmation yesterday.  he was confirmed late, for some reason.  Just before the mass, the priest touches my shoulder and says "Do you like the services of the Church, son?" and I respond "Yes....their very interesting."  Then, he firmly says "Then you need to become Catholic."   I was a bit taken aback, and just said "well...maybe when I'm older."  I said this because I didn't want to offend him, and I still had to watch a 45-minute service done by this man.  Of course, I don't want to become Roman Catholic!  A little offended, I sat there watching the service, saying the Jesus prayer to myself.  As some of you know, I've struggled in the past with missing this Church.  This experience really proved to me that I'm not Catholic and I don't have any desire to be Catholic.

After this, when he was going around the Church, giving "host" to those unable to walk up and receive it, he came over to me.  I started freaking out in my mind at the thought of having to either be ex-communicated from my Church or offend this priest and possibly the whole community by not receiving communion. Thankfully, this was not what he was doing.  With the body of Christ in one hand, he put his other on my shoulder and said he wanted to see me in the parish office after mass about becoming a Roman Catholic.  He walked away before I could respond. 

I couldn't avoid him if I'd had waited till the end to leave, surely he would see me as he stood in the middle of the crowd shaking hands.  So, near the end of mass, I walked over to the nearest exit as quickly as possible and high-tailed it out of there.

It seemed he would have baptized me the very next day if I consented, and he doesn't even know my name! 

Honestly, this is crazy.  is it really this easy to join the Roman Catholic Church?!  I waited 1 1/2 years (eagerly) before my priest made me a catechumen, and then chrismated me. 

silly schismatics  Wink

Is joining the RC really this easy?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »

this is one of two different but not totally unrelated questions I'm posting about this experience.

how easy is it to join?  in the Church I used to attend, I went to watch my friend's confirmation yesterday.  he was confirmed late, for some reason.  Just before the mass, the priest touches my shoulder and says "Do you like the services of the Church, son?" and I respond "Yes....their very interesting."  Then, he firmly says "Then you need to become Catholic."   I was a bit taken aback, and just said "well...maybe when I'm older."  I said this because I didn't want to offend him, and I still had to watch a 45-minute service done by this man.  Of course, I don't want to become Roman Catholic!  A little offended, I sat there watching the service, saying the Jesus prayer to myself.  As some of you know, I've struggled in the past with missing this Church.  This experience really proved to me that I'm not Catholic and I don't have any desire to be Catholic.

After this, when he was going around the Church, giving "host" to those unable to walk up and receive it, he came over to me.  I started freaking out in my mind at the thought of having to either be ex-communicated from my Church or offend this priest and possibly the whole community by not receiving communion. Thankfully, this was not what he was doing.  With the body of Christ in one hand, he put his other on my shoulder and said he wanted to see me in the parish office after mass about becoming a Roman Catholic.  He walked away before I could respond. 

I couldn't avoid him if I'd had waited till the end to leave, surely he would see me as he stood in the middle of the crowd shaking hands.  So, near the end of mass, I walked over to the nearest exit as quickly as possible and high-tailed it out of there.

It seemed he would have baptized me the very next day if I consented, and he doesn't even know my name! 

Honestly, this is crazy.  is it really this easy to join the Roman Catholic Church?!  I waited 1 1/2 years (eagerly) before my priest made me a catechumen, and then chrismated me. 

silly schismatics  Wink

Man o man...it is easier than that even...Next time you are in a Catholic Church just clap your hands and hold them out and somebody will toss you a wafer!!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »

I read the thing two times, but must have missed it... where did the priest say "Oh, and when you come to my office you'll be made a Roman Catholic on the spot"  Huh

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »

silly schismatics  Wink

Man o man...it is easier than that even...Next time you are in a Catholic Church just clap your hands and hold them out and somebody will toss you a wafer!!
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
good one!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 01:35:27 PM »

From what I've known, a person who expresses a wish to convert usually takes RCIA classes, which may last several months. Each person may discuss their experiences in a previous church with the priest. Times and requirements of study until reception may vary. It is unusual for someone to be asked to join right away, unless they've been seen a number times at the same place. Maybe he was a little extra-zealous. (He may have even mistaken you for someone else.)  Huh Wink

If it makes you worry, then I'd stop visiting that parish. Should you wish to stop and see another nearby parish, pick an Orthodox one, and you'll be safe no matter what.  Smiley
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »

I read the thing two times, but must have missed it... where did the priest say "Oh, and when you come to my office you'll be made a Roman Catholic on the spot"  Huh

You are missing the point of the post I think...It's what I call a point-post so don't miss it!!  Smiley

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »

He didn't say that.  But his firm eagerness to convert me was startling.  Also, I'm NOT good in situations such as this.  If I'd have gone into his office, I wouldn't have the heart to tell him I'm not interested.  he honestly gave the impression that he wanted to make plans to convert me.  He said that he would call the bishop tomorrow and ask him how to convert an Orthodox Christian.  Oj!

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »

LOL

Seriously though, elijahmaria is right. As an Eastern Orthodox Christian you are already allowed to receive Holy Communion in the Catholic Church based on our Canon Law. Of course, that would put you in hot water with the Eastern Orthodox Church.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »

From what I've known, a person who expresses a wish to convert usually takes RCIA classes, which may last several months. Each person may discuss their experiences in a previous church with the priest. Times and requirements of study until reception may vary. It is unusual for someone to be asked to join right away, unless they've been seen a number times at the same place. Maybe he was a little extra-zealous. (He may have even mistaken you for someone else.)  Huh Wink

If it makes you worry, then I'd stop visiting that parish. Should you wish to stop and see another nearby parish, pick an Orthodox one, and you'll be safe no matter what.  Smiley

Totally.  When I was a 12 year old Catholic wanna-be, I read about RCIA online.  I knew there was more of a process than this, but he sounded as if I didn't need it or something. 

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 01:42:54 PM »

Totally.  When I was a 12 year old Catholic wanna-be, I read about RCIA online.  I knew there was more of a process than this, but he sounded as if I didn't need it or something. 

Were you a practicing Catholic prior to being Orthodox?...Did your friend know that?  Do you suppose he spoke to the priest and said he was worried about you?  Do you think the priest might not be working to get you to come back to the Church.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill...

Do you not have the convictions of a true Orthodox Christian so that you can say no thank you but I am Orthodox?

Really Trevor what is the point of this post?

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »

Yet another thread to bash Catholics?
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »

thanks for asking, I tend to make moll hills out of mountains  Wink

I was wondering if this was normal.  if I was willing to convert but was Protestant or a non-Christian, would he have acted with the same eagerness?

(and forgive me, this seems to have developed into a bit of a rant  Wink )

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »

I was wondering if this was normal.  if I was willing to convert but was Protestant or a non-Christian, would he have acted with the same eagerness?

I think it is developing into something of a joke.  No emoticon necessary.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »

not my intention, I'm very sorry if it came off that way.  I'm simply wondering if this situation is as out of the ordinary as I thought it was.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »

I think it is developing into something of a joke.  No emoticon necessary.

that's unfortunate.  I'll stop posting in this thread.  joking was NOT my intention.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 01:50:45 PM »

Probably not. I think the RCIA process is sometimes waived or abbreviated for the Eastern Orthodox since you are much closer doctrinally to us than Protestants or non-Christians.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 02:05:57 PM »

My understanding is those who are Orthodox can convert just by coming and receiving Communion with Catholics. It sounds like he knew you were Orthodox, and knew the process is somewhat different, though he didn't know the specifics. If he had he might have tried to pressure you into taking Communion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 02:18:51 PM »

My understanding is those who are Orthodox can convert just by coming and receiving Communion with Catholics.

Not so.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 02:31:49 PM »

not my intention, I'm very sorry if it came off that way.  I'm simply wondering if this situation is as out of the ordinary as I thought it was.

You never answered my questions.  Did you move to Orthodoxy from the Catholic Church?  Also did your friend know?  Clearly this was his priest...yes?  If this thread is not a joke, please simply answer the questions. 

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »

My understanding is those who are Orthodox can convert just by coming and receiving Communion with Catholics.

Not so.

Unless of course you have already been received into the Catholic Church before...That would speed up the process.  I am presuming that the priest who "harassed" Trevor know that from Trevor's friend which is why he was so insistent about having Trevor come and talk to him.  I also am also guessing that Trevor knows all this...but it was fun to be able to refer to Catholics as "schismatics"...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:39:07 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 03:02:35 PM »

Not so.

No, first you must go to confession. EO to RC is typically handled by confessing the sin of being a schismatic... And then you're Catholic. RCs hold the EO to hold the faith, however reject the "divine authority" of the Papacy.

I'm going to need this.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 03:13:25 PM »

silly schismatics  Wink

I think it is pretty easy for an Eastern Orthodox to join the Catholic Church, except that it is strongly recommended that he join an Eastern Catholic Church. I suppose it differs from place to place, but my guess is that in many cases, a talk with the Eastern Catholic priest, a simple registration, and a short prayer,  confession and reception of Holy Communion, would effect the changeover (if you wanted it, of course).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:15:11 PM by stanley123 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »

Roll Eyes

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 03:24:56 PM »

I think it is pretty easy for an Eastern Orthodox to join the Catholic Church, except that it is strongly recommended that he join an Eastern Catholic Church.

According to your canon law such a person has to join the proper Eastern Rite Church. On the other hands no one in your Church cares.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »

Not so.

Unless of course you have already been received into the Catholic Church before...That would speed up the process.  I am presuming that the priest who "harassed" Trevor know that from Trevor's friend which is why he was so insistent about having Trevor come and talk to him.  I also am also guessing that Trevor knows all this...but it was fun to be able to refer to Catholics as "schismatics"...

Well it's even better than this...I missed the part where Trevor says that he was at the parish where he used to attend...doh!...So why would that priest be concerned about him...eh?

So again...help us to get the joke, Trevor.  You were at your old parish...only now you get to call them Schismatics!!...Ok...we get that.... so what's with the rest of it?...

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »

Is it possible for there to be one Orthodox-RC thread on this forum without someone crying "Anti-Catholicism!!!!!1one"? Sheesh.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »

I think it is pretty easy for an Eastern Orthodox to join the Catholic Church, except that it is strongly recommended that he join an Eastern Catholic Church.

According to your canon law such a person has to join the proper Eastern Rite Church. On the other hands no one in your Church cares.
Hello Michal:
   I am not sure what you mean by the last comment. It seems to me like it would be similar to what might happen  in the Eastern Orthodox Churches.  Suppose a Greek Orthodox  were to marry a Russian Orthodox in Moscow, and for one reason or another, they were to settle in St. Petersburg  for the rest of their lives. Then, would anyone in the Orthodox Church object if the Greek were to  attend the Russian Orthodox Church and even to register there?
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »

Is it possible for there to be one Orthodox-RC thread on this forum without someone crying "Anti-Catholicism!!!!!1one"? Sheesh.

In Christ,
Andrew
Ask the anti-Catholics who always feel the need to run their mouth.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 04:15:33 PM »

I am not sure what you mean by the last comment. It seems to me like it would be similar to what might happen  in the Eastern Orthodox Churches.  Suppose a Greek Orthodox  were to marry a Russian Orthodox in Moscow, and for one reason or another, they were to settle in St. Petersburg  for the rest of their lives. Then, would anyone in the Orthodox Church object if the Greek were to  attend the Russian Orthodox Church and even to register there?

No, no one would object because we don't have such ignored by everyone paragraphs in our canon law.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »

Hello Michal:

This might apply to the OP who left the Roman rite for Orthodoxy.  He would return to the Roman rite...if he ever returned.

But a cradle Orthodox coming into communion with Rome would enter the appropriate eastern Catholic jurisdiction.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew
*facepalm* You, sir, have proved my point.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »

With the body of Christ in one hand, he put his other on my shoulder and said he wanted to see me in the parish office after mass about becoming a Roman Catholic. 

Talk about inappropriate.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »

No, no one would object because we don't have such ignored by everyone paragraphs in our canon law.
I don't know about it as to whether it is strongly recommended or whether it is mandatory by law to join the Eastern Catholic Church which corresponds to your former Orthodox Church. I mean, what if you are Russian Orthodox and there is only a Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic Church in your locality. Then what? (Assuming of course that someone wanted to make the changeover). I don't know the citation for the canon law in question and as to how it would be applied in every case.  
Thanks.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

But a cradle Orthodox coming into communion with Rome would enter the appropriate eastern Catholic jurisdiction.
But what if the corresponding Eastern Catholic Church were not available in his area? Is it allowed according to canon law for him to join an Eastern Catholic Church which does not correspond to his cradle Orthodox membership?
If I understand the objection which has been raised, it is that Catholics generally ignore canon law in this type of situation. I am not agreeing to the objection, but I am just trying to understand the rules and how strictky (or leniently)  they are stated and applied?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 04:46:55 PM »

Baptized non-Catholics coming into full communion with the Catholic Church should retain and practice their own rite everywhere in the world and should observe it as much as humanly possible. Thus, they are to be enrolled in the Church sui iuris of the same rite with due regard for the right of approaching the Apostolic See in special cases of persons, communities or regions.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 05:24:33 PM »

I take it you've never actually read Orthodox canon law  Kiss

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 06:49:03 PM »

that's unfortunate.  I'll stop posting in this thread.  joking was NOT my intention.

Do you realize you said this less than 30 minutes after the thread started?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew
*facepalm* You, sir, have proved my point.

In Christ,
Andrew
And what point is that, exactly? That we are not justified in being offended? I would ask you to look at the opening post where we are called schismatics. Is that charity? Is that the love of Christ shining through in that post, do you think? Even if the Eastern Orthodox position is that we are the schismatics that is still not a very effective way to evangelize...via name-calling.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »

So you're saying he should have been honest with us (which he was), but let us sweat it out while he waited to respond?  Huh

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »

So you're saying he should have been honest with us (which he was), but let us sweat it out while he waited to respond?  Huh

Well given the fact that he was talking about his own old parish where people still recognize him, I think it was wise of him to back out of that one.  It was something of a put on...or more likely just an attention getter.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:29:59 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »

Baptized non-Catholics coming into full communion with the Catholic Church should retain and practice their own rite everywhere in the world and should observe it as much as humanly possible. Thus, they are to be enrolled in the Church sui iuris of the same rite with due regard for the right of approaching the Apostolic See in special cases of persons, communities or regions.
Yes. That's right. I notice though the phrase "as much as humanly possible", which indicates a small amount of leniency may be granted in some cases.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

A friend of mine, cradle Orthodox, became Roman Catholic, yet he had to go through confirmation, as I understand.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:56:56 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »

Well given the fact that he was talking about his own old parish where people still recognize him, I think it was wise of him to back out of that one.  It was something of a put on...or more likely just an attention getter.

I'll just clarify something to you, elijahmaria.  I went to this parish when I was 11 years old.  I sat at the back with my father who started and stopped attending when I did.  the people didn't know me.  neither did the priest.  the priest even gave me (a Presbyterian child at the time) communion with everyone else, but didn't know me well enough to know who I was and to tell me not to receive communion.  no one recognized me at all at that Church.  This priest that I refer to in my original post is a different priest from the one serving in that church when I attended 6 years ago.

Wyatt:  I call you schismatics because you, Roman Catholics, are schismatics.  In 1054, your pope ex-communicated himself from the Holy Orthodox Church and became a heretic.  I would think that, with all of your activity on this forum, you'd have picked up on that one.  Sorry, but if this offends you so much, perhaps this is the wrong forum for you.  police

This is the last I'll say on the matter.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:01:57 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2011, 09:03:48 PM »

A friend of mine, cradle Orthodox, became Roman Catholic, yet he had to go through confirmation, as I understand.
Maybe the RC priest did not realise that confirmation (chrismation) is given to infants in the Orthodox Church? Did he have the certificate of (infant)  baptism, chrismation, and Holy
Communion from his Orthodox Church?
Also, this looks like it is wrong, as Michal has rightly pointed out. Why did he not join an Eastern Catholic Church? Why did the RC priest ignore the rules of canon law?
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »

How old was he, out of curiosity?
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: