OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 07:11:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beloved Apostle and Lady Gaga's "Judas"  (Read 6596 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2011, 01:10:29 AM »

Quote from: deusveritasest
Whorish, yes. But I've seen nothing that appears to be legitimate blasphemy from Gaga. If anything what some people think is blasphemy is actually her expressing and confessing her own wickedness along with her desire to be holy, which is not blasphemous.

Interesting point.   Smiley Good one.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2011, 03:05:35 AM »

If she is such a strong Orthodox Christian, I'm waiting for her to show it. Thus far I've seen a whorish entertainer who is trying to top Madonna in blasphemy.

Whorish, yes. But I've seen nothing that appears to be legitimate blasphemy from Gaga. If anything what some people think is blasphemy is actually her expressing and confessing her own wickedness along with her desire to be holy, which is not blasphemous.

Maybe so, but she doesn't need to deal with her confusion in front of everyone, vomiting it into the public arena. (And making more than a few pretty pennies off it to boot.)

But I think mostly she is leeching off controversy. Thats why she dresses like a weirdo and acts how she does. A product of our Youtube world. It's the same as all the other freaks who come down the pike. It's been done. It's old. But every time they push it a little further and sometime we have to say stop. I don't want to see Sexy St Mary Magdalene or Ripped Biker Jesus. Enough is enough.

When we have our Coptic brothers dying for wearing crosses and whatnot, and just confessing Christ at all, to portray our Lord and God this way is unacceptable, period. I don't care what issues Gaga has. She has issues, but she need not air them at our expense.

(I'd like to see her or one of the others try this with Mohammad, if they're so cutting edge. The only cutting edge there would be a machete, but we don't do that, thank God. But have some respect, please. Is threatening people with death the only way to get respect anymore? Is that who we are?)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »

2. I think of bigotry as prejudice. It's not bigotry to speak out against people's actions. Nor should we tolerate defamation and blasphemy against Christ and His Saints, sexualizing and trivializing them, which I would say this is:

Contextualizing religious symbols is not necessarily trivializing of them. If anything, the most apparent reality is that she has a deep respect for Jesus.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »

Satan-looking? If she wanted to be Satan-looking she would look like a beautiful angel, not a trashy attention-whore.

LOL

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »

and 9/11 was an inside-job...

It's possible.  Wink

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »

So you mean to tell me that all of these bands (including Lady Gaga) are just kidding when they mock Christ?

Once again: where did she mock Christ?

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »

She did the same thing with her song "Born That Way."  God does love everyone.  But we are called by Christ to seek the kingdom of heaven, not just be complacent with are current circumstances.

Huh. The song is called "Born This Way", and that's not at all the impression of the song that I get. If you're honing in on a certain issue (the GLBT community  Roll Eyes) then perhaps, but otherwise the song is not at all about complacency.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »

Maybe so, but she doesn't need to deal with her confusion in front of everyone, vomiting it into the public arena.

It's not just about her. Her "fandom" is full of those who have these sorts of struggles and have been ostracized by uncharitable traditionalists. This is an evident theme of much of her music overall.

Thats why she dresses like a weirdo and acts how she does.

She dresses like a weirdo because she is a weirdo.

When we have our Coptic brothers dying for wearing crosses and whatnot, and just confessing Christ at all, to portray our Lord and God this way is unacceptable, period.

I fail to see the connection between the two.

And what is this issue you have with translating symbols to a modern culture? I'm suspicious that you would be offended by Christ Himself if he had been born in this generation.

(I'd like to see her or one of the others try this with Mohammad, if they're so cutting edge. The only cutting edge there would be a machete, but we don't do that, thank God. But have some respect, please. Is threatening people with death the only way to get respect anymore? Is that who we are?)

I haven't seen her express an interest in Muhammad as she has with Jesus, so why should she? Again, missing the point of her using Jesus.

Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2011, 05:32:47 AM »

2. I think of bigotry as prejudice. It's not bigotry to speak out against people's actions. Nor should we tolerate defamation and blasphemy against Christ and His Saints, sexualizing and trivializing them, which I would say this is:

I thought this was supposed to also be an impersonation of Madonna and her old boyfriend - Jesus:

She wasn't confused... she did this on purpose. Sexualized imagery and full nudity mixed w/ Christian symbols and figures... is a mockery of Christianity and the teachings of the Church which adjure us to eschew sexual immorality and the lusts of the flesh.

If anything, the most apparent reality is that she has a deep respect for Jesus.

COUGH! What? If she had a "deep respect for Jesus" then why would she do this? She does it for the 'shock factor' which = $.

Once again: where did she mock Christ?

"In the video, Gaga plays a modern-day Mary Magdalene, riding in with motorcycle gang Jesus and his apostles. Sleekly sexualized, it places her, among other things, writing in a bath with both Jesus and Judas, who share intimate moments, as well.

Before the video was even released, the Catholic League struck out at Gaga — who grew up and is still a practicing Catholic — for what they deemed as inappropriate and offensive.

After the single was released during Holy Week, Catholic League spokesman Bill Donohue slammed Gaga for the song.

“This is a stunt... Lady Gaga tries to continue to shock Catholics and Christians in general: she dresses as a nun... she swallows the rosary. She has now morphed into a caricature of herself,

The video concludes with Gaga as Magdalene being stoned in a white dress.”

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 06:45:12 AM »

Very Important Question: For those who are being highly critical, how many of you have actually carefully listened to, read, and analyzed the lyrics to "Judas"?

gregory77

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »

She did the same thing with her song "Born That Way."  God does love everyone.  But we are called by Christ to seek the kingdom of heaven, not just be complacent with are current circumstances.

Huh. The song is called "Born This Way", and that's not at all the impression of the song that I get. If you're honing in on a certain issue (the GLBT community  Roll Eyes) then perhaps, but otherwise the song is not at all about complacency.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.   No, it was just the general impression that I got from the song and video.   I know she wasn't writing a song about complacency, but in my opinion in the grand scheme of things.  It was really about complacency.  Thanks for the interesting contributions.
gregory77

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.   No, it was just the general impression that I got from the song and video.   I know she wasn't writing a song about complacency, but in my opinion in the grand scheme of things.  It was really about complacency.  Thanks for the interesting contributions.

Oh, I forgot one thing,  the Judas song from a musical point of view wasn't very good.  A lot of the tones and melodies are very annoying.  I'm surprised she went in that direction, it was like fingernails scratching a chalkboard at times.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2011, 07:32:53 PM »

Oh, I forgot one thing,  the Judas song from a musical point of view wasn't very good.  A lot of the tones and melodies are very annoying.  I'm surprised she went in that direction, it was like fingernails scratching a chalkboard at times.

Uh, since when is music objective? Music is and always will be a subjective thing. I like Limp Bizkit, for instance, but many don't. What is good music to one person is bad to another. Same thing with art. I've seen paintings in museums that look like they were done by four year olds. But, to some people it is beautiful.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2011, 07:38:21 PM »

If anything, the most apparent reality is that she has a deep respect for Jesus.

Cheesy
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2011, 08:30:13 PM »

Very Important Question: For those who are being highly critical, how many of you have actually carefully listened to, read, and analyzed the lyrics to "Judas"?

I've looked at them.

She says she's in love with the betrayer of Jesus; she says she's in love with Judas (the Judean apostle).

She says that Judas is the demon that she clings to.

Maybe you could give us your rundown of the lyrics and tell us what you think they mean? You're hinting around... but I'm not really sure what it is you see that you think we don't.

I don't really have any issue w/ the song musically... at least it's somewhat original.

It's the mixing of sexually charged images with Christian symbols and themes, etc that I don't like...

I fail to see how all of this "shows a deep respect". Respect for Judas maybe...

If she really had a deep respect she would have put some clothes on and toned down the slut act for the duration. How 'bout taking off that Cross while you get your sexy on?

If she wanted to be a real rebel these days, the song's lyrics would read:

Oh-oh-oh-ohoo
I'm in love with Jesus, Jesus

Oh-oh-oh-ohoo

And she would drop all the sexy stuff (like Judas pouring beer on her protruding arse, etc, etc)...

But - No.

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
gregory77

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »

Uh, since when is music objective? Music is and always will be a subjective thing. I like Limp Bizkit, for instance, but many don't. What is good music to one person is bad to another. Same thing with art. I've seen paintings in museums that look like they were done by four year olds. But, to some people it is beautiful.

Limp Bizkit?Huh   For real, yo?
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »

Limp Bizkit?Huh   For real, yo?

I like their older stuff, from Three Dollar Bill to Chocolate Starfish. See, though? I think you are weird for not liking them and you think I'm weird for liking them. This is because music is subjective. We all are attracted to different things. It's what makes us independent of each other.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »

No, Limp Bizkit and nu-metal in general is objectively bad.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »

Oh, really? Go tell that to Brian Welch (who became a Christian and now produces nu-metal songs based on Christianity)...

— St. John Chrysostom
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »

Oh, really? Go tell that to Brian Welch (who became a Christian and now produces nu-metal songs based on Christianity)...

You can put all the toppings you like on that sundae, but it's still poop-flavoured ice cream.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2011, 09:59:30 PM »

You can put all the toppings you like on that sundae, but it's still poop-flavoured ice cream.

Really? From what I've always known and read is that God absolutely loves to take something ungodly and make it His own. For instance: sinful humans. I guess all the "toppings" of grace God gave you and others were merely imputed, so you and all Christians are just as Luther said, piece of dung with snow covering them...

— St. John Chrysostom
gregory77

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2011, 11:49:25 PM »

Really? From what I've always known and read is that God absolutely loves to take something ungodly and make it His own. For instance: sinful humans. I guess all the "toppings" of grace God gave you and others were merely imputed, so you and all Christians are just as Luther said, piece of dung with snow covering them...

May be there should be separate topic for nu-metal?Huh
gregory77

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2011, 11:50:45 PM »

Excuse the angry face.  I don't know how that happened.  sorry.

May be there should be separate topic for nu-metal?Huh
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »

Did you really just compare nu-metal to a human being made in the image of God?

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2011, 01:04:48 PM »

This thread is an awesome generational culture clash.

Can we have a thread about Old Testament dietary laws and the Book of Revelation as contextualized by the Wu Tang Clan's RZA?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:07:38 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »

When we have our Coptic brothers dying for wearing crosses and whatnot, and just confessing Christ at all, to portray our Lord and God this way is unacceptable, period.

I fail to see the connection between the two.

And what is this issue you have with translating symbols to a modern culture?

People die for the cross, the crown of thorns, and what they represent. She throws them onscreen overtop some sexualized imagery. It is illegitimate and a mockery of them. It glorifies the passions those objects were used to free us from.

Throwing a cross into a music video does not constitute translating symbols to a modern culture. If they want to learn about the cross, then come to a church.

I haven't seen her express an interest in Muhammad as she has with Jesus, so why should she? Again, missing the point of her using Jesus.

I don't care what the point is, frankly. The point of the Gospel is as clear as it can get. It does not need her commentary, nor do we need Lady Gaga acting as a missionary.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »

I've looked at them.

She says she's in love with the betrayer of Jesus; she says she's in love with Judas (the Judean apostle).

She says that Judas is the demon that she clings to.

Maybe you could give us your rundown of the lyrics and tell us what you think they mean? You're hinting around... but I'm not really sure what it is you see that you think we don't.

I don't really have any issue w/ the song musically... at least it's somewhat original.

It's the mixing of sexually charged images with Christian symbols and themes, etc that I don't like...

I fail to see how all of this "shows a deep respect". Respect for Judas maybe...

If she really had a deep respect she would have put some clothes on and toned down the slut act for the duration. How 'bout taking off that Cross while you get your sexy on?

If she wanted to be a real rebel these days, the song's lyrics would read:

Oh-oh-oh-ohoo

Oh-oh-oh-ohoo

And she would drop all the sexy stuff (like Judas pouring beer on her protruding arse, etc, etc)...

But - No.

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Yeah, pretty much sums it up for me.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »

Limp Bizkit and Korn came out when I was in middle school. I may not always have had the best taste back then, but even I could sense that nu-metal was just beyond the pale.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »

Limp Bizkit and Korn came out when I was in middle school. I may not always have had the best taste back then, but even I could sense that nu-metal was just beyond the pale.
System of a Down?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: