OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:17:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abuna Lazarus of St. Antony's - How an Atheist became a Christian  (Read 604 times) Average Rating: 0
gregory77

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: May 22, 2011, 08:27:20 PM »

Here is a talk by Abuna Lazarus, a Coptic Orthodox monk. Learn about his life as an avowed atheist and how he was brought closer to Jesus Christ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ir4rffNFP0

I found this very interesting.   It took me several times for it to sink in.   That if you love Jesus in your heart you can be happy anywhere.   I was wondering if anybody understands what he is talking about in regards to the Jesus prayer?   He describes some sort of position but I've never come across this practice here in the US.

I was amazed at how an avowed atheist became a Christian in these circumstances.  It is worth listening to in my opinion.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 08:48:28 PM »

Uh, I'm pretty sure you are only permitted to post this in one forum  Tongue

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
gregory77

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I wasn't aware of that.  I'll be more careful.

Not too sure on where the link should go because it covers so much information.   So I tried different places.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  I wasn't aware of that.  I'll be more careful.

Not too sure on where the link should go because it covers so much information.   So I tried different places.

It's all good. I just know from experience that a lot of forums don't like when you post the same thing in many places.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
James Joseph

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Rite (Latin)

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:19:08 AM »

Here is a talk by Abuna Lazarus, a Coptic Orthodox monk. Learn about his life as an avowed atheist and how he was brought closer to Jesus Christ.

There is also a short video made by an amateur filmaker titled the 'Last Anchorite'. It is a lovely production, despite having an erroneous name.

http://youtu.be/pRSl9MAk_kU
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:20:47 AM by James Joseph » Logged
gregory77

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:31:38 AM »

There is also a short video made by an amateur filmaker titled the 'Last Anchorite'. It is a lovely production, despite having an erroneous name.

http://youtu.be/pRSl9MAk_kU

Thanks for adding this one.  It is a favorite.  However, I forgot to add it at the time.  Thanks!  Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: