OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 05:17:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sculpture of Pope John Paul II decried as 'ugly'  (Read 876 times) Average Rating: 0
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« on: May 20, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »

Sculpture of Pope John Paul II decried as 'ugly'.......... Grin

By FRANCES D'EMILIO and ALBA TOBELLA, Associated Press – 31 mins ago

ROME – A new, modernist sculpture of Pope John Paul II is turning into a monumental bust. The Vatican on Friday slammed the giant artwork outside Rome's Termini Train Station, saying it doesn't even resemble the late pontiff.

Some Romans and tourists say the bronze statue looks more like Italy's wartime dictator Benito Mussolini than the widely beloved pope.

"How could they have given such a kind pope the head of a Fascist?" said 71-year-old Antonio Lamonica.

As he pondered the statue in the bustling square, his wife muttered: "It's ugly. Really ugly. Very ugly."

Continued Here.....http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110520/ap_on_re_eu/eu_vatican_pope_s_sculpture

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:08:59 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »

Wow. I don't know why there's the rectangular 'alcove' in the side. It does look very unusual. I would have preferred something more realistic.  Huh
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »

I think it's cool. Say you get stuck in a down pour -- voila! -- just step inside St. John Paul to the Second

Large Marge sent me...
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 06:16:40 PM »

What the heck is that? It looks like some kind of portal with a head stuck to it.

All modern art should be dropped in the ocean. More culture would be saved than lost.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »

I never met His Holiness, but I always assumed that if such a holy man was born without arms, legs, or 3/4 of his body, God would have provided him with such at some point in his life.

I guess you learn new things every day

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

http://bosniagenocide.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/muslims-of-bosnia-to-build-monument-for-pope-john-paul-ii/
They may not recognize him as a saint, but Muslims in Bosnia are considering honouring the late Pope John Paul II with a monument in the heart of Sarajevo.
He visited Bosnia again in 2003, travelling to the predominantly Serb city of Banja Luka where he apologized for crimes committed by Roman Catholic Nazi supporters on Christian Orthodox Serbs during World War II.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »

http://bosniagenocide.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/muslims-of-bosnia-to-build-monument-for-pope-john-paul-ii/
They may not recognize him as a saint, but Muslims in Bosnia are considering honouring the late Pope John Paul II with a monument in the heart of Sarajevo.
He visited Bosnia again in 2003, travelling to the predominantly Serb city of Banja Luka where he apologized for crimes committed by Roman Catholic Nazi supporters on Christian Orthodox Serbs during World War II.

Why waste the Money , Italy can send them that Statue . Ihe italians don't seem to care for it , maybe the bosnian muslims/catholics will love it.... Grin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:20:43 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »

I think it's cool. Say you get stuck in a down pour -- voila! -- just step inside St. John Paul to the Second

That's if there is room for you after tramps have occupied it.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »

I think there is special sector in Purgatory for makers of bad ecclesiastical art. I rather like some modern art but keep it away from churches. Angry

Alcuin

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »

I get the idea I think, one's ability to walk inside the sculpture is supposed to speak to the inclusive nature of JPII's pontificate, bringing people in, etc. But sorry to be an old pre-modern stick in the mud, but I still prefer representationalism.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: