OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Complicity East and West  (Read 794 times) Average Rating: 5
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« on: May 20, 2011, 10:02:39 AM »

http://open.salon.com/blog/lost_in_berlin/2010/10/27/the_hitler_icon_how_mount_athos_honored_the_fhrer

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »

Sad

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »

This article is a piece of secular trash. The real intent is an attack on the Church. More filth from the anti-Christ media.

Quote from: Secular trite
encountered a religious community that was more than willing to embrace Nazism
How did the monks embrace Nazism? Allying with a political leader hardly classifies as embracing a philosophy.

Mount Athos survived the war nearly untouched, which is more than can be said for the rest of Greece, which lost 11 percent of its population, including virtually all of its Jews.
I know exactly what they are implying here. Roll Eyes I don't think anyone escapes blame for the Holohoax.

*Banishing the opposite sex from the peninsula might sound like a recipe for boredom, but it appears that the monks knew how to keep busy. According to a Time Magazine article in April 1941, "[a]n alarming number of monks have taken to smoking, alcohol, even narcotics. And the immemorial escape from celibacy has threatened to become a fever sickening the whole 'Great Academy of the Greek Clergy.' The Greek press has stormed about the kidnapping of male children for the monks of Athos, and motorboats carrying male prostitutes are constantly reported chugging into the monastery harbors."
Huh Is there any evidence for this absurd claim? Considering it is from the American media, probably not.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:37:57 AM »

This story was already discussed somewhere else. The monks were not Nazis. Mt. Athos actually harbored Jewish families.

The holocaust was not a hoax, Ioannis.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 02:45:49 PM »

This article is a piece of secular trash. The real intent is an attack on the Church. More filth from the anti-Christ media.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »

This story was already discussed somewhere else. The monks were not Nazis. Mt. Athos actually harbored Jewish families.

The holocaust was not a hoax, Ioannis.
Kind of like the Vatican, huh.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »

*Banishing the opposite sex from the peninsula might sound like a recipe for boredom, but it appears that the monks knew how to keep busy. According to a Time Magazine article in April 1941, "[a]n alarming number of monks have taken to smoking, alcohol, even narcotics. And the immemorial escape from celibacy has threatened to become a fever sickening the whole 'Great Academy of the Greek Clergy.' The Greek press has stormed about the kidnapping of male children for the monks of Athos, and motorboats carrying male prostitutes are constantly reported chugging into the monastery harbors."
Huh Is there any evidence for this absurd claim? Considering it is from the American media, probably not.

I don't know about the specifics here, but Mt. Athos did suffer a moral decline amongst some of the monks in the late 19th, early 20th centuries. There are other reports of some of the same behaviors. Just because a place is holy does not mean the residents are. See exhibit A, the Holy Land.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:13:17 PM »

When I found that article, I thought that it fit so well with other kinds of insanity in evidence during that period of our world's history.

War allows some people to express themselves in ways that they would not dare to do otherwise.

And it forces others to do things that in other circumstances they would abhor and abjure.

Friend and foe become confused and difficult to identify in resistance to the evil.

Even the stones cry out...

Actually I thought that war is very much like schism in the distortions that it produces.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:18:13 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48:24 PM »

Is there any evidence for this absurd claim? Considering it is from the American media, probably not.

I recommend you L'ete grec (The Greek Summer) by Jaques Lacariere where he humorously  describes a few instances where monks cornered him for not so celibate purposes and others of the kind. I imagine they felt more free to do that to obviously non-pilgrim Westerners . His travels took place in the late forties and fifties.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:00:37 AM »

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to piggyback the 60 minutes episode mentioning this, with an embellished and highly anti-Christian account of the events.

By the way, since when is TIME magazine a reputable source?

[img width=600]http://pressvision.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil-photo.jpg[/img
Come on, Asteriktos. There was collaboration, but nothing like what the article implies.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:03:09 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 12:40:26 AM »

Are you harping on that same propaganda about the Orthodox supposedly not recognizing sinfulness in their own tradition?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags: hitler  Mount Athos  orthodoxy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: