Author Topic: USA - Rationing of electrolytes for critically ill possible within days  (Read 413 times)

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Please pray.

Can compounding pharmacists make the electrolyte solutions needed by critically ill adults and newborns?

This can become a critical situation for many senior citizens and children sick with flu who become dehydrated.

Michael O'Neal is a pharmacist. He purchases drugs for Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He often deals with drug shortages, but this one is bad. O'Neal is concerned about the availability of electrolytes. They are critical to a babies in neonatal intensive care and seriously ill adults.

For this news story please click the link below:

http://www.wsmv.com/news/27946067/detail.html

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:06:32 AM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
This is really bad for babies in neonatal intensive care. I know of a woman in my city with quadruplets who are all on life support and they really need these drugs to stay alive.

Lord have mercy!

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
This is really bad for babies in neonatal intensive care. I know of a woman in my city with quadruplets who are all on life support and they really need these drugs to stay alive.

Lord have mercy!

The article asks that patients/families involved ask if there is a shortage of electrolytes in the hospital.

I am going to ask my compounding pharmacist if they can make up some of these Ringer's Lactate solutions or if they also have a shortage.

If the pharmaceutical companies cannot keep up their stock, and this sounds criminal, then compounding pharmacists may be our last hope.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:25:32 AM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.