OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:42:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divine Liturgy returns to Cappadocia after 87 years!  (Read 1276 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« on: May 17, 2011, 05:08:54 PM »

For the first time in 87 years since the Catastrophe (the expulsion of Orthodox Christians from Asia Minor), the Divine Liturgy was celebrated last Sunday in Cappadocia. The Liturgy was celebrated in the ancient Church of St. Demetrios with His All Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew presiding. News in Greek: http://infognomonpolitics.blogspot.com/2011/05/87.html

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »

Isn't it great news?! I thought that Cappadocia was part of the Church of Antioch though - was it later transferred to the Church of Constantinople?

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »

Isn't it great news?! I thought that Cappadocia was part of the Church of Antioch though - was it later transferred to the Church of Constantinople?
I'm not sure of the dates, but yes, Cappadocia was originally under Antioch, and later came under Constantinople. St. Meletius came from Cappadocia and was Patriarch of Antioch whereas John the Cappadocian became Patriarch of Constantinople.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:11:43 PM »

Christos anesti!
I'm not sure of the dates, but yes, Cappadocia was originally under Antioch, and later came under Constantinople. St. Meletius came from Cappadocia and was Patriarch of Antioch whereas John the Cappadocian became Patriarch of Constantinople.
Officially, 451.  Cilicia, however, is under Antioch.

Btw (and in view of recent events concerning the Romanian Church), the Patriarch of All Romania has the title of locum tenens of the See of St. Basil at Caesarea in Cappadocia ex officio.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:21:11 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »

Btw (and in view of recent events concerning the Romanian Church), the Patriarch of All Romania has the title of locum tenens of the See of St. Basil at Caesarea in Cappadocia ex officio.

Does anyone know, why?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37:21 PM »

Does anyone know, why?
Yeah, the metropolitans of Ungrovlahia have held the title since the Phanariot times, in return for the gifts and donations made to the Ecumenical Patriarchate. So, they basically bought it.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:41:26 PM »

This is excellent news. I was in the region a couple of years ago and fell in love. The only thing that disappointed me was the lack of any sign of modern Orthodox practice.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »

Hristos a inviat!

Does anyone know, why?
Supposedly, when the Ottomans forced the Metropolis to be closed, the Holy Synod of Constantinople under EP Sophronious on October 10, 1776 elected to name the Metropolitan of Ungro-Wallachia as Locum Tenens to perpetuate the episcopal line.  The first to have it was a Phanariot Bishop Gregory III, who had been Metropolitan of Myra before (on becoming Metropolitan of Ungro-valahia, he printed a lot in Romnian at his own expense).
http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loc%C8%9Biitor_al_Tronului_Cezareei_Capadociei

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages Amen!

By the way, can anyone tell me, is Cappadocian pronounced Cap-pa-do-she-an or Cap-pa-do-key-an, or something else entirely?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages Amen!

By the way, can anyone tell me, is Cappadocian pronounced Cap-pa-do-she-an or Cap-pa-do-key-an, or something else entirely?
Depends if you go for the Greek/Turkish or Latin pronounciation. Cheesy

The first you list is Latin, the second the Greek/Turkish.

Most everyone who has ever been there seems to pronounce it the second way.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »

Thank you, as I listen to Ancient Faith Radio I realize that the pronunciation I have in my head is...frequently not exactly how one is maybe supposed to say it, but I'd yet to hear this word on there.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:12:24 PM »

Thank you, as I listen to Ancient Faith Radio I realize that the pronunciation I have in my head is...frequently not exactly how one is maybe supposed to say it, but I'd yet to hear this word on there.

Don't worry, almost no word derived from the Greek language is pronounced in English in a way even remotely resembling the Greek.

Psychic, pneumatic, mnemonic -- who knew Greek had so many silent letters?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:15 PM »

Don't worry, almost no word derived from the Greek language is pronounced in English in a way even remotely resembling the Greek.

I think Hubris is the only word of Greek origin that I've ever come across pronounced the exact same in English, including place names (mind you I learned Erasmian pronounciation)
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:42:22 PM »

(mind you I learned Erasmian pronounciation)

There's your first problem, hahah.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »

Actually my first semester I learned Erasmian with a heavy Spanish accent. Cheesy
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »

Actually my first semester I learned Erasmian with a heavy Spanish accent. Cheesy

God will forgive.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 01:13:24 AM »

Wait, those aren't silent letters?

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:28 AM »

Wait, those aren't silent letters?

Not in Greek, they aren't!

ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 02:31:33 AM »

Glory to God!
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »

Article with photos:
http://www.romfea.gr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8152%3A2011-05-16-14-17-54&catid=33%3A2009-12-18-08-37-34

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 06:45:12 AM »

Caesarea Cappadocia was originally its own Exarchate (like Ephesus) covering the area of the civil Diocese of Pontus. The Pontian church was absorbed by Constantinople at Chalcedon.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 06:45:12 AM »

I'm not sure of the dates, but yes, Cappadocia was originally under Antioch

Where do you get that idea?

St. Meletius came from Cappadocia and was Patriarch of Antioch whereas John the Cappadocian became Patriarch of Constantinople.

And Saint Gregory the Illuminator was from Cappadocia but became Catholicos of Armenia and Saint Severus of Antioch came from Asia Minor but became Patriarch of Antioch. Where one became Bishop was not necessarily indicative of where one was from.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 06:45:13 AM »

Depends if you go for the Greek/Turkish or Latin pronounciation. Cheesy

The first you list is Latin, the second the Greek/Turkish.

Most everyone who has ever been there seems to pronounce it the second way.

What about Cappa-do-see-in?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: