Author Topic: Serbian Orthodox Holy Assembly Seeks to "Bond" American Dioceses to Old World  (Read 2413 times)

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • J'étais insensé.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Tous.
http://www.emg.rs/en/news/serbia/155871.html
"A separate diocese was also established for the territory of South and Central America, excluding Mexico, [Bishop] Irinej [of Bachka] pointed out, adding that a decision-in-principle was adopted to put the St. Sava Monastery in Libertyville, USA, including the St. Sava School of Theology, under the direct jurisdiction of Patriarch Irinej of Serbia. Bishop Irinej said the topic would be further debated, but pointed out that the decision-in-principle was an effective way of bonding the church in America closer to the mother country."

A little odd given the supposed push for the unification of the multiple jurisdictions in the West, but that aside it's exciting that new dioceses will be created - one for Latin America and another for southern Europe!

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Yes, nothing more exciting than even more jurisdictionalism.

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • J'étais insensé.
For some reason I thought the Serbian Orthodox Church was more open to the unification of the Orthodox Churches present in the West - I was obviously mistaken :-).

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
AFAIK Constantinople has some stavropigial institutions in the USA too, hasn't it?
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
Do they ever plan to fill Metr. Christopher's position?
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • J'étais insensé.
I'm wondering that too. Maybe they'll make the Libertyville institutions stavropeghial and then merge the New Grachanitsa Diocese with the Libertyville Metropolia and make Bishop Longin its metropolitan? That seems to be what the diocesan assembly wanted to be done...

Everyone has stavropeghial institutions (the OCA has a number of stavropeghial monasteries in the USA), but in this case a bishop said outright that it was meant to bind dioceses outside the Balkans more closely to the Balkans, so it's a bit sad (to anyone hoping for a unified Orthodox Church of North America anyways).

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Yes, Constantinople does have stavropegial institutions in America, one is the Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute affiliated with the General Theological Seminary, Berkley; the other is the St. Irene Chrsovalantou Monastery in Astoria, Long Island, New York, and its monastic appendages (dependencies) which are actually an additional 9 or so parishes.  (At the time [1998] that the EP accepted this former separated Old Calendar ecclesial jurisdiction, I don't think the GOAA's Synod of Bishops was interested in integrating them into the GOAA--(this institution is currently embroiled in a criminal investigation regarding alleged sexually perverse acts of its former abbot and financial impropriety.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:09:41 PM by Basil 320 »
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
Do they ever plan to fill Metr. Christopher's position?

I'm wondering about the other parishes in that metropolis.  There is at least the big cathedral of the resurrection.  What will happen to those churches, who knows. 

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • J'étais insensé.
There are only 5 or 6 of them, no?

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
There are only 5 or 6 of them, no?

i'm not sure about the exact number, but basically yes.  they're huge parishes in terms of size and amounts of people. 

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
Some One Please Explain, I'm really confused ... ??? Shouldn't all the Serbian Monasteries ,Church be it Here In the U. S. and around the World , Be in control oF the Serbian Orthodox Patriarch .... It's Mentioned in One Of the posts some thing about unification of all the Orthodox Church Here In the U. S...Aren't  we we all united in the faith Allready, ???
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:25:38 PM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
In the Orthodox Monasteries most Monasteries are under the local Bishops, not the Patriarchs across the Ocean.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
In the Orthodox Monasteries most Monasteries are under the local Bishops, not the Patriarchs across the Ocean.

In their defense, when the Canons, etc... were devised, their authors could not have contemplated the existence of lands or the emigration of their peoples across oceans. The historic lack of a non-indigenous, self-supporting population of Orthodox (the Inuits of Russian Alaska passed the indigenous test, but not the self-supporting one) as well as the fact that unlike the traditional Orthodox homelands, the New World was initially, and remains, populated by a huge, non-Orthodox majority makes our situation difficult to both grasp and to resolve.

That being said, it would seem as if these recent actions are a step backward and are probably being done as a defensive move in anticipation of further developments on the EA front and elsewhere.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Хрыстос уваскрос!
this monastery is a little different: the King of Yugoslavia is buried there (my sons were a little shocked to see a royal tomb on American soil) and IIRC was under the Free Serbs.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:45:24 AM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Хрыстос уваскрос!
this monastery is a little different: the King of Yugoslavia is buried there (my sons were a little shocked to see a royal tomb on American soil) and IIRC was under the Free Serbs.

That makes more sense then. I would guess that in the future, should there be a unified Church structure in the US, that such properties would remain as some sort of 'representation' presence of the other Patriarch or autocephalous church.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
Хрыстос уваскрос!

That makes more sense then. I would guess that in the future, should there be a unified Church structure in the US, that such properties would remain as some sort of 'representation' presence of the other Patriarch or autocephalous church.

And, there would be nothing wrong with that.