Author Topic: Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) approves gay clergy  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) approves gay clergy
« on: May 18, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
"After decades of debate, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) on Tuesday struck down a barrier to ordaining gays, ratifying a proposal that removes the celibacy requirement for unmarried clergy...
',
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110511/ap_on_re/us_rel_presbyterians_gays_9
Proverbs 22:7

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
Re: Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) approves gay clergy
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »
This is wrong! Gays may be OK as people, but they should not be allowed to use authority to influence heterosexuals into adopting their lifestyle. This is the same reason why Orthodox clergy may not be married to prostitutes.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »
Orthodox clergy may not be married to prostitutes.
Tell that to the Prophet Hosea.  ;)
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
That canon was developed after his time. I was merely making an analogy that the ordination of gays is wrong.

Offline CBGardner

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »
Everyday I'm surprised at the amount of Christians that think a homosexual lifestyle is ok. I'm not sure the scriptures could be more clear about it. And Christians treating homosexuals "badly" is no excuse for anything either.
Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
Fr Siarhei Hardum was right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tonQS0W27c

"Perhaps there are different spirits in different denominations" indeed.

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 03:38:55 PM »
The Orthodox also ordain Homosexuals, you can depend on it.

What we dont do is care much about someones sexual preferences. We do care about is actual behavior. So if you are Gay and sexually active with other Men, no ordination. If you are hetero and not married and are living with your girlfriend, no ordination.............. If you masturbate day and night...well..you get the point.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:39:26 PM by Marc1152 »
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline CBGardner

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »

What we dont do is care much about someones sexual preferences. We do care about is actual behavior. So if you are Gay and sexually active with other Men, no ordination. If you are hetero and not married and are living with your girlfriend, no ordination.............. If you masturbate day and night...well..you get the point.

I agree in general with what you're saying, though I think your strokes are a bit broad and misleading.
Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »

I agree in general with what you're saying, though I think your strokes are a bit broad and misleading.

Which part is unclear?

Will the Church ordain someone who has same sex attraction.. Yes

Has the Church ordained people who have same sex attraction.. Yes again

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:03:59 PM by Marc1152 »

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
This is wrong! Gays may be OK as people, but they should not be allowed to use authority to influence heterosexuals into adopting their lifestyle. This is the same reason why Orthodox clergy may not be married to prostitutes.

I am surprised I have yet not to chuckle when someone uses "lifestyle" in conjunction with folks who are homosexual.

After the 100th time you'd think I be over it, but it never fails to solicit some lulz.

Now, I am capable of not eye rolling when people believe people who are homosexual are either intentionally or unintentionally attempting to attract heterosexual folks over to their side en masse.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »
The Holy Church in her boundless wisdom and benevolence generally allots them the office of the episcopacy.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline CBGardner

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »

Which part is unclear?

When you say Orthodox ordain homosexuals that doesn't imply someone who only has same sex attraction at somepoint. I think your second post clears up what was mixed. You and I may know what you're saying but not the standard passer by.

I think lifestyle is the perfect word because it differentiates between one who has feelings of attraction and one who openly and actively takes part in homosexual culture or relationships. Which, in my mind, is an important differentiation.

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »

Which part is unclear?

When you say Orthodox ordain homosexuals that doesn't imply someone who only has same sex attraction at somepoint. I think your second post clears up what was mixed. You and I may know what you're saying but not the standard passer by.

I think lifestyle is the perfect word because it differentiates between one who has feelings of attraction and one who openly and actively takes part in homosexual culture or relationships. Which, in my mind, is an important differentiation.

Okay.. I see your point now. Youre right.

It would be pretty harsh to tell gay people not to have  Homosexual sex and to devout themselves to the Church and then reject them anyway.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:24:06 PM by Marc1152 »

Offline MyMapleStory

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 08:41:49 PM »
So Long as they recognize that such relationships and actions which are homosexual are not to be encouraged, I see little problem with it.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:15:27 PM »
So Long as they recognize that such relationships and actions which are homosexual are not to be encouraged, I see little problem with it.
How would agreeing to ordain sexually active homosexuals not encourage or at least condone it?
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline MyMapleStory

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »
Is that what they are doing? In which case I would agree its bad.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 09:41:23 PM »
The move struck down the celibacy requirement for unmarried clergy. 
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 03:11:01 AM »

What kind of nonsense is this? Why would you think that they have any interest in trying to influence heterosexuals into adopting their lifestyle? And how is that at all comparable to prostitution? Homosexual behavior totally contradicts the sex drive of a heterosexual; prostitution does not.

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 03:11:01 AM »
When you say Orthodox ordain homosexuals that doesn't imply someone who only has same sex attraction at somepoint.

Homosexual does imply someone who has predominating attractions to the same sex.