OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question concerning the Epitafios/Plaschanitsa on Ascension Thursday  (Read 685 times) Average Rating: 0
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »

Christ Is Risen!

I have a question, I hope our Reverend Fathers could help me with.  My parish priest will be away from today until after June 5Th.  I am doing the Obidna Service on those Sundays, but Father asked me to remove the Epitafios/Plaschanitsa from the Holy Altar on Ascension Thursday.  Unfortunately, with Father away, no services are planned.  I know I should do more than simply remove it from the Altar and place it in its case.  Should I do a reader's Vespers on Wednesday night and at the end of the service cense it and around the Altar 3 times and then make 3 prostrations before the Epitafios/Plaschanitsa and then remove it and replace it in its case?  Your input will be greatly appreciated. 

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:12:26 AM »

I looked over a couple of sources and I do not see a rubric for it. When I have seen it removed is when the altar clothes are changed from white to gold. In reality, the Epitafios is always present on the altar in the form of the Antimension.

Joseph
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:43:40 AM »

I do not recall a rubric either, it would be gone when vespers was served on the eve of the Ascension so the prior post about putting it away with the change of altar clothes is probably the norm. Certainly it should be done reverentially. We have a glass cedar lined case to store it is during the rest of the year in one of the sacristies.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »

Doing Vespers would be OK. It would be stowed away then.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: