OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:38:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do Orthodox feel about a Catholic attending their Divine Liturgy?  (Read 4489 times) Average Rating: 0
Alcuin

Faith: Catholic

« on: May 18, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »

I am a Catholic with no plans to convert to Orthodoxy, but I am interested to attend a Orthodox Divine Liturgy. I of course would not take the eucharist or anything improper like that, but I was curious how Eastern Orthodox Christians felt about this? Is it seen as rude or intrusive? I will ask the priest of the parish in question as well, of course.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:57:59 PM by Alcuin » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »

I remember once when some RC seminarians came with one of their priests to see our liturgy. I can remember another instance when an epsicopalian priest came to see someone speak. Our priest also teaches a class on Orthodoxy at Xavier and requires his students to attend a liturgy and write a paper on it.

Just don't go up for communion and do recite the creed as it is in the service book and you'll be fine.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »

Welcome, I say. Several Protestants attend my parish for vespers and they have no plans to convert. Nobody has a problem with it, that I'm aware of.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »

I know that even people who don't feel like converting can be encouraged by the beauty of the service to join the Orthodox Church but I personally don't like the idea of watching the Orthodox services as performances in the theatre.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alcuin

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »

It's not that I want to watch it as a performance in the theater - I think it's a valid celebration of the eucharist by a priest in valid apostolic succession, and that attending it would be a spiritually enriching experience. I don't think it's fair to bifurcate between "Want to become Orthodox" and "Are attending the liturgy as a theatrical novelty". On the other hand, I do understand why Orthodox Christians might consider it intrusive, and I do not want to offend the parishioners.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:18:50 PM by Alcuin » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »

It's not that I want to watch it as a performance in the theater - I think it's a valid celebration of the eucharist by a priest in valid apostolic succession, and that attending it would be a spiritually enriching experience. I don't think it's fair to bifurcate between "Want to become Orthodox" and "Are attending the liturgy as a theatrical novelty". On the other hand, I do understand why Orthodox Christians might consider it intrusive, and I do not want to offend the parishioners.

I can't imagine why *anyone* would be offended by a respectful visitor!  Nor would you be intrusive.  "Welcome!!", I would say.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »

If a congregation was unwelcoming of someone, even if just a visitor with no intention of converting, then IMO they would be unworthy of the Lord they worship.  angel

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 05:24:10 PM »

I don't think you'd be intrusive but according to the Orthodox Church there is no third option. There are no 'valid Eucharists' outside the Church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 05:25:07 PM »

Welcome.

I was once in your shoes.

I came, I visited, and I stayed. I was surprised by the Holy Spirit.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:25:49 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »

If a congregation was unwelcoming of someone, even if just a visitor with no intention of converting, then IMO they would be unworthy of the Lord they worship.  angel

Agreed. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »

Welcome.

Ditto.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! of course!
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »

I have visited an Eastern Orthodox parish. I let the Priest know that I was a Catholic and he had no problem with me being there. He even blessed me after Liturgy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »

In our time, there are churches which have filmed all or part of the liturgy, and this may also be of some assistance.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:08:33 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »

I am a Catholic with no plans to convert to Orthodoxy, but I am interested to attend a Orthodox Divine Liturgy. I of course would not take the eucharist or anything improper like that, but I was curious how Eastern Orthodox Christians felt about this? Is it seen as rude or intrusive? I will ask the priest of the parish in question as well, of course.

It happens all the time where I live. It's pretty common actually.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »

As long as you don't start shouting "Long Live the POPE!" in the middle of the distribution of the Eucharist, I don't think anyone will mind - no one will probably even notice that you're there, unless it's a small parish.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »

As long as you don't start shouting "Long Live the POPE!" ...

What if it was St. Clement's Day, and you just got confused?  Wink Cheesy (Kidding.)

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 07:47:18 PM »

As long as you don't start shouting "Long Live the POPE!" in the middle of the distribution of the Eucharist, I don't think anyone will mind - no one will probably even notice that you're there, unless it's a small parish.

It does sometimes happen that a Catholic or Anglican visitor will insert the filioque into the Creed especially if the congregation takes a breath during that time.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »

I have visited an Eastern Orthodox parish. I let the Priest know that I was a Catholic and he had no problem with me being there. He even blessed me after Liturgy.
That's very cool. There is a Greek Orthodox Church not too terribly far from where I'm at that I would not mind visiting sometime. I would prefer to attend a Byzantine Catholic parish so that I could experience the Eastern Divine Liturgy while also being able to commune. However, I usually go to Saturday evening Mass so I could go to Mass Saturday night as usual (and receive the Eucharist) and then visit the Greek Orthodox parish Sunday morning I suppose.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »

It's wonderful. I have Roman Catholic guests all the time.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »

I don't think it should be a problem.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »

Welcome.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

It is a risk...eh, Maria...

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Paisius
Warned
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »

Of course it's not a problem. We have Sunday school groups from non-Orthodox churches visit our parish all the time including one group that makes it an annual event.

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »

Welcome.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Yes, God had a big surprise in store for me.
It was like being in Marine boot camp for which I was totally unprepared.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 12:35:13 AM »

No problem, I know my parish would welcome you and any visitor.  My sister-in-law is Roman Catholic, she and my brother rotate which church they will go to on Sundays.  My parish priest is aware of their situation and treats her like a parishioner.  This situation is not uncommon in pluralistic America.  Most Orthodox Churches I've been to are as welcoming to non-Orthodox as mine from what I've noticed.  Frequently, their bulletins or some notice will welcome non-Orthodox visitors, only admonishing them, as you recognize, that Holy Communion is reserved for the believing Orthodox Christians, who do not have a canonical impediment.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 02:45:21 AM »

Welcome.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Yes, God had a big surprise in store for me.
It was like being in Marine boot camp for which I was totally unprepared.

Good analogy. I really felt the same way.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 05:31:25 AM »

I remember once when some RC seminarians came with one of their priests to see our liturgy. I can remember another instance when an epsicopalian priest came to see someone speak. Our priest also teaches a class on Orthodoxy at Xavier and requires his students to attend a liturgy and write a paper on it.

Just don't go up for communion and do recite the creed as it is in the service book and you'll be fine.
I always say "Filioque" under my breath to be impertinent.*

Admittedly I don't do this at my Ruthenian Church so I guess I'm just trying to give you guys a hard time.

* I don't say it when it's recited in Greek because the Holy Spirit does not ἐκπορευόμενον from the Son. Yes, we've tried explaining this to you a million times and you'll never accept that we all actually believe the same thing. We get it.

But yes it would be rude to actually say "AND THE SON!" during the creed, so I don't.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:31:49 AM by WetCatechumen » Logged

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »

All types of folks visit our church from time to time and Fr. is welcoming to them all (as are the rest of us). We have a RC priest that visits from time to time with his wife. He was coming regularly for a while (Saturdays and Sundays).

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »

Christus resurrexit!
My Church is full of Catholics, it being the Catholic Church.

As for those pledged to the Vatican, as long as they do not attempt to take communion, I have no problem with it (and I don't see any problem with them taking antidoron or holy water either).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »

Christus resurrexit!

Admittedly I don't do this at my Ruthenian Church so I guess I'm just trying to give you guys a hard time.
It's your soul.

* I don't say it when it's recited in Greek because the Holy Spirit does not ἐκπορευόμενον from the Son. Yes, we've tried explaining this to you a million times and you'll never accept that we all actually believe the same thing. We get it.
Evidently not: you believe He proceeds from the Essence of the Godhead, and we believe as Christ taught, that He proceeds from the Person of the Father.

But yes it would be rude to actually say "AND THE SON!" during the creed, so I don't.
I would take it then that you don't try to commune.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:16 AM »

As long as you don't start shouting "Long Live the POPE!" ...

What if it was St. Clement's Day, and you just got confused?  Wink Cheesy (Kidding.)
Or a Presanctified Liturgy.
Long live the Pope!

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »

"Come and see."

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »

Christus resurrexit!
My Church is full of Catholics, it being the Catholic Church.

As for those pledged to the Vatican, as long as they do not attempt to take communion, I have no problem with it (and I don't see any problem with them taking antidoron or holy water either).

I was thinking of bringing up antidoron.

I've attended a handful of Orthodox liturgies over the years, and (as far as I can recall) I always took antidoron afterward.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:09:23 AM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »

That's very cool. There is a Greek Orthodox Church not too terribly far from where I'm at that I would not mind visiting sometime. I would prefer to attend a Byzantine Catholic parish so that I could experience the Eastern Divine Liturgy while also being able to commune. However, I usually go to Saturday evening Mass so I could go to Mass Saturday night as usual (and receive the Eucharist) and then visit the Greek Orthodox parish Sunday morning I suppose.

I'd just like to tack on to that, even if one isn't receiving communion on a particular weekend, it's still necessary to attended a Catholic liturgy so as to fulfill the Sunday Obligation.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »

Are you a neo-conservative?

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »

I'd just like to tack on to that, even if one isn't receiving communion on a particular weekend, it's still necessary to attended a Catholic liturgy so as to fulfill the Sunday Obligation.
Oh yeah, true. The only time that an Eastern Orthodox liturgy fulfills the Sunday obligation is if there are no Catholic parishes around, right?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »

AFAIK the Liturgy in the Orthodox Church does not fulfill the Catholic Sunday obligation. If there is not a RC Church nearby the obligation can't be fulfilled/

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »

Oh yeah, true. The only time that an Eastern Orthodox liturgy fulfills the Sunday obligation is if there are no Catholic parishes around, right?

When I was attending the Melkite Eastern Catholic Church, I was told by my priest that if there were no Catholic Church in the area where one was living or traveling, that one could attend Saturday All-night vigil or Sunday Divine Liturgy at an Orthodox Church and fulfill the Sunday obligation. Of course, a Catholic cannot receive Holy Communion in the Orthodox Church.

He also mentioned that one should always call or email the priest beforehand out of courtesy and respect.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:23:00 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tony

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 01:20:30 PM »

I believe that if there is no Catholic parish around, you'd be dispensed of the obligation. You wouldn't be mandated to attend an Orthodox Divine Liturgy.

Philonella

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »

We have a RC priest that visits from time to time with his wife.

With his wife? Am I missing something here?

O Christ my Savior, save me whether I want it or not!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »

We have a RC priest that visits from time to time with his wife.

With his wife? Am I missing something here?

Probably a Lutheran or Anglican convert minister who was married.  The RCC allows for such men to convert and be ordained on a case-by-case basis.  Fr. Dwight Longenecker, relatively famous in the RC blogosphere, is one such priest.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 01:46:15 PM »

AFAIK the Liturgy in the Orthodox Church does not fulfill the Catholic Sunday obligation. If there is not a RC Church nearby the obligation can't be fulfilled/

That's my understanding.

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »

Christus resurrexit!

It's your soul.

Evidently not: you believe He proceeds from the Essence of the Godhead, and we believe as Christ taught, that He proceeds from the Person of the Father.

I would take it then that you don't try to commune.

I'm not going to answer that question just to annoy you. But I will say the last time I went to Divine Liturgy I served at the altar with an Orthodox gentleman (not canonically Catholic) who communed.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 10:25:53 PM »

The Late Serbian Bishop Dionicija Had his Friend a Roman Catholic Cardinal inside the Altar ,when he was officiating at the  Bishops highl Divine Liturgy ,It would seem Some Orthodox be they religious or Lay Don't seem to mind......I mind, about the Latin Clergy attending and being inside the altar area,But not for the Lay Catholics it's fine if they attend the services... police
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:44:36 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »

So heretics are allowed behind the iconostasis but not pious Orthodox women? Am I understanding this correctly??

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: