OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:17:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't worry about Harold Camping and May 21st  (Read 8433 times) Average Rating: 0
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2011, 04:41:43 AM »

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2011, 04:49:48 AM »

I'm a little sleepy, but otherwise fine.   angel

On a serious note, these jerks make Christianity look ridiculous. They have provided more grist for the mill for every smug secularist or Atheist.

Which is precisely why, in a calculated move, this whole event was so heavily reported by the media.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2011, 04:50:40 AM »

PS: I was raptured and am typing this from the third heaven where I will co-reign with our Lord as the rest of you plebs suffer the tribulation.

Sounds Christian, right?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2011, 04:57:48 AM »

As we all know by now, a Protestant radio preacher has advised us all that the world will end this Saturday, May 21st. While I would hope that no faithful Orthodox Christian would put any stock in such heretical musings, I know from growing up as a priest's kid that many a pastor's phone is busy this week with worried parishioners seeking reassurance after being scared to death at work or at the grocery store by  someone convinced that they are about to be raptured and their poor Orthodox neighbor is doomed.

Here are two thoughtful and cogent articles to read to put your mind at rest.

The first is a post from my friend, Fr. Jonathan's blog, Second Terrace. He is an Orthodox priest and a former Protestant preacher. His insight is really on point:  Eschatological fruitcake Part One: the Depressing Sunday. http://janotec.typepad.com/terrace/2011/05/eschatological-fruitcake.html

And for a great, catholic , point by point refutation of Camping's musings, I suggest this from the National Catholic Register: Major Supernatural Event This Saturday! (Rapture Prediction Analyzed!) http://www.ncregister.com/blog/major-supernatural-event-this-saturday/ .(It's on point whether you are a Roman Catholic, or if you view the Orthodox Church as as being the catholic one.)

Please read these, sleep tight and spare your priest a tortured phone call. His kids will thank you for sure!

There were a few slight tremors, but as far as I can see, the world is still here. Perhaps Mr. Camping  needs to make a recalibration, or better still read Matthew 24:36: "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." But on  a related note, how can it be that the Father knows, but the Son does not know? There is one God, and if God the Father knows, should not God the Son also know?
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2011, 09:15:03 AM »

as far as i can see, there are 2 scholarly schools of thought.
1. in all jewish weddings, the son would answer (to any question about the wedding) 'i don't know, ask my father', like it was a cultural thing, special for weddings. so as the end of the world includes the wedding of the bride (church) to the Lamb (Jesus), He followed the jewish tradition.
2. Jesus, God the Son gave up some of His Divine knowledge in order to come to earth and be incarnate.

i wonder if maybe it is a bit of both, but certainly now He knows, but He won't tell us coz we'll just screw up.
it's better if we spend our whole lives getting ready, rather than find out it's going to be next year and just be complacent and spend all this year sinning.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »

I think Jesus's statement that only the Father knows the time of the End has to do with the Father's being the Arche of the Holy Trinity; if so, that's a plus for the Orthodox side in the argument over the Filioque.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2011, 10:03:38 AM »

On a serious note, these jerks make Christianity look ridiculous. They have provided more grist for the mill for every smug secularist or Atheist.

Not to mention every other thoughtful person, of whatever religious leaning. It'd be one thing if Camping and other modern day heretical nuts were the only ones, but people with names like St. Paul the Apostle and St. Maximos the Confessor (and literally millions of others) also thought that their times were the end of the world. They were obviously wrong. Makes you wonder.

Large Marge sent me...
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »

Matthew 24:36: "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." But on  a related note, how can it be that the Father knows, but the Son does not know? There is one God, and if God the Father knows, should not God the Son also know?

There's actually a thread on this: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28594.0.html
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »

PS: I was raptured and am typing this from the third heaven where I will co-reign with our Lord as the rest of you plebs suffer the tribulation.

Can you get cable up there?  Wink
Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2011, 01:47:48 PM »

cable? aw cmon heaven don't need wires. free wifi and dishnetwork for everyone  laugh

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »

Matthew 24:36: "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." But on  a related note, how can it be that the Father knows, but the Son does not know? There is one God, and if God the Father knows, should not God the Son also know?

There's actually a thread on this: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28594.0.html
Thanks for this link. In reading through the posts on the thread, the answer appears to be more complicated than I thought.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2011, 05:35:41 PM »

Yes, but there's a few too many American evangelicals for my taste.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »

I just cut the grass in the back-yard (most of it, have to go get gas), even tho it is only knee-deep (versus the usual hip deep). The neighbors on that side are pretty certain that this means the Rapture happened and they were among the Chosen. However, the neighbors on the front yard side are in despair - they feel Unchosen!

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2011, 11:01:47 PM »

We had our annual ceremony where the sunday school teachers hand out certificates to the children at the end of the school year. Before presenting the certificates, the woman who runs the sunday school program mentioned that all the families weren't there this morning because of schedule conflicts or something. For some reason, having people "not here" after yesterday made me think of this.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »

I'm still here. Grin Oh, wait. Aren't we Orthodox "heretics" supposed to be left behind? Cry

As I look around the neighborhood, there are a lot of unmowed lawns.....

Wait.  Never mind, they were just foreclosed, not raptured....
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2011, 09:27:20 AM »

The man won't give up:

Radio host now says Judgment Day coming in October
Camping says he took refuge in a motel when his May 21 prediction didn't come true

By GARANCE BURKE
The Associated Press 

OAKLAND, Calif. — California preacher Harold Camping said Monday his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day actually will come on Oct. 21.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43140373/?gt1=43001

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »

The man won't give up:

Camping says he took refuge in a motel when his May 21 prediction didn't come true

By GARANCE BURKE
The Associated Press  

OAKLAND, Calif. — California preacher Harold Camping said Monday his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day actually will come on Oct. 21.

So this explains it all.....  "But Camping said that he's now realized the apocalypse will come five months after May 21, the original date he predicted. He had earlier said Oct. 21 was when the globe would be consumed by a fireball.
Saturday was "an invisible judgment day" in which a spiritual judgment took place, he said. But the timing and the structure is the same as it has always been, he said."

That part must be in the invisible ink section of his Sola Bible. Yuck. To borrow and rephrase a saying from  Forrest Gump, "Heretics are as heretics do."

In my opinion, we waste a lot of time quibbling with schismatics around here and very little time condemning the true heretics and distorters of the faith. People like Camping and LaHaye create the mass culture's popular distortion and mocking of Christian Faith and they do much to diminish all of the rest of us as they con the gullible out of house and home. http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,36362.0.html

Since those rapturist types don't believe that we and the Romans are even Christians, we ought not to keep our mouths shut and we need to educate our own about the truth. How many folks in your own parish probably think that the Rapture heresies are actually biblical and part of tradition, rather than a fever induced fantasy of a 19th century Scottish girl? Don't assume none, there are far, far more than you want to know. Ask your priest. He will tell you. Our Bishops need to preach the truth about these issues and use our publications and media outlets to denounce this nonsense rather than each other.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:50:35 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »

The man won't give up:

By GARANCE BURKE
The Associated Press 

The End of Days is Coming!  Starting agaaaiiinn....NOW!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:21 AM »

The man won't give up:

By GARANCE BURKE
The Associated Press  

So this explains it all.....  "But Camping said that he's now realized the apocalypse will come five months after May 21, the original date he predicted. He had earlier said Oct. 21 was when the globe would be consumed by a fireball.
Saturday was "an invisible judgment day" in which a spiritual judgment took place, he said. But the timing and the structure is the same as it has always been, he said."

That part must be in the invisible ink section of his Sola Bible. Yuck. To borrow and rephrase a saying from  Forrest Gump, "Heretics are as heretics do."

In my opinion, we waste a lot of time quibbling with schismatics around here and very little time condemning the true heretics and distorters of the faith. People like Camping and LaHaye create the mass culture's popular distortion and mocking of Christian Faith and they do much to diminish all of the rest of us as they con the gullible out of house and home. http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,36362.0.html

Since those rapturist types don't believe that we and the Romans are even Christians, we ought not to keep our mouths shut and we need to educate our own about the truth. How many folks in your own parish probably think that the Rapture heresies are actually biblical and part of tradition, rather than a fever induced fantasy of a 19th century Scottish girl? Don't assume none, there are far, far more than you want to know. Ask your priest. He will tell you. Our Bishops need to preach the truth about these issues and use our publications and media outlets to denounce this nonsense rather than each other.

I mentioned it, in my sermon, as a false prophecy.  Several people came up to me during the coffee hour and we had a good discussion about rapture and the end times in the Orthodox Tradition.  I told them the only end of the world we need to be concerned about is yours' when we die.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »

My priest talked about it in his sermon (and I was saying "whoo-hoo!" in my head).

Sadly enough, I talked to my mother in law, who actually believes in the rapture, but didn't think that it would happen. She said, "I can only hope that talking about this will bring people to Christianity."

Undecided Uh.......I was flabbergasted. I had NO idea what to say to that.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: