OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:58:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriarch Alexei's Alleged KGB Past?  (Read 983 times) Average Rating: 0
Andreas

OC.net

« on: June 08, 2004, 02:45:12 AM »

Does anybody know if he was once a member of the KGB?

"It's later than you think! Hasten therefore to do the work of God."
 -Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 02:52:53 AM »

Seems he was but then again how does one go about disproving he ISN'T a member?

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 03:34:47 AM »

[Seems he was but then again how does one go about disproving he ISN'T a member?]

Exactly!  Why, because he had a code name?  Anyone who was anyone, had a KGB code name including the Pope, President, etc.  They all also had CIA code names.

Patriarch Alexi does not deny having at times to barter with the Communists to save a church or in one case the womens monastery in Estonia.  It was probably no easy task to decide in many cases what had to go.

========

For those who claim he never apologized I submit the following -

In reply may I quote His Holiness from a 1995 issue of 'Alive In Christ' which also happens to be my diocesan quarterly -

This is in regards to Patriarch Alexi announcing the plans of rebuilding 'Christ The Saviour Cathedral' as an atonement for the Russian people turning away from God. The Patriarch states (at the laying of the cornerstone) -

"Having rebelled against God, condemned the sacred memory
of our ancestors, and without the least scruples of conscience
destroyed the labors of the best sons and daughters of our people,
we have covered Russian history with the stain of terrible iniquity.
This stain weighs on our conscience,
and casts a pall on the spiritual life of our society." --Patriarch Aleksy II of Moscow

From the mayor of Moscow at the placing of the cornerstone -

The rebuilding of the church was the centerpiece of a huge renovation scheme in the Russian capital pursued by its mayor, Yuri Luzhkov. During a ceremony to lay the cathedral's cornerstone Luzhkov said "Let the reconstruction of the main cathedral stand as symbolic proof of hundreds of destroyed churches and millions of lost lives".

That is the main reason the Cathedral was rebuilt. It's also the reason that while the original Cathedral built in 1812 took 44 years. The rebuilding from start to finish took little less than 5 years. It was worked on 24 hours a day, seven days a week during that entire time period.

Patrairch Alexi also got down on his knees at the first 'Forgivness Vespers' after his enthronement at the beginning of Great Lent and asked forgiveness for sins committed during the 'Soviet period'.

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 05:40:12 PM »

What do you guys think of him?

"It's later than you think! Hasten therefore to do the work of God."
 -Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 06:07:35 PM »

I think he's just like any other Russian bishop from the Soviet era: political. But I don't doubt for a second that he is Orthodox.  If he or any other bishop collaborated that is THEIR sin, but it is NOT a heresy and did not deprive them of grace.

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 06:11:00 PM »

tsk tsk Anasatasios.....you've strayed from the truth! Supporting that heretical Soviet Patriarchate! Don't you listen to anything ROAC says?!  Wink
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 06:12:07 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: