OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:19:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What are your favorite English Bible Translations?
KJV - 25 (19.5%)
NKJV - 23 (18%)
RSV - 14 (10.9%)
NOAB RSV - 4 (3.1%)
RSV-CE - 4 (3.1%)
RSV-2CE - 3 (2.3%)
NRSV - 3 (2.3%)
NIV - 6 (4.7%)
NLT - 2 (1.6%)
Douay-Rheims (DRB) - 14 (10.9%)
Good News (GNT) - 1 (0.8%)
NAB - 0 (0%)
ASV - 2 (1.6%)
AMP - 0 (0%)
The Message - 2 (1.6%)
CEV - 0 (0%)
HCSB - 2 (1.6%)
Jerusalem Bible (JER) - 3 (2.3%)
New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) - 4 (3.1%)
NASB - 6 (4.7%)
Living Bible (LIV) - 0 (0%)
ESV - 10 (7.8%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your favorite English Bible Translations?  (Read 7553 times) Average Rating: 0
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« on: May 17, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »

What are your favorite English Bible Translations?

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »

"You may only select up to 22 options."

Cheesy Grin

KJV for me 90%+ of the time, including in prayers. If I've read a KJV passage multiple times and I'm still thinking "Huh? What?" then I check out the NKJV or NIV as alternatives. When I want to read/reference a deuterocanonical book, I generally reach for whatever is easiest to access, which is usually the NAB.  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:56:26 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:54:56 PM »

I like the style of the KJV and the NKJV. Depends on the context of use for which I like better though.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »

Douay-Rheims.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:11:30 PM »

Douay, or the old Confraternity version from the 40's.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »

NKJV, KJV, and NIV. Mostly use NIV though.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »

You forgot the infamously hard-to-read Young's Literal Translation.  Grin

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:33:44 PM »

Douay, or the old Confraternity version from the 40's.

I found a Confraternity Bible in my house while going through a closet. It was my uncle's and I find it pretty nifty.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:39:34 AM »

NOAB RSV 100%

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »

The KJV is my favorite translation. The Douay-Rheims is my favorite for the Deuterocanonicals. The HTM Psalter is my favorite for the Psalms.

In IC XC,
zekarja

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »

Douay-Rheims, followed by the KJV. Among modern translations, I find the RSC-CE pretty serviceable.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 01:50:05 PM »

The Message, durrr.

Just kidding. I've only read the KJV, the NKJV, the Message (hate it), the NIV, and whatever Catholic Bible they gave me in high school. We have an OSB, but it's somewhere downstairs, and I keep referring to the NIV. Any suggestions on where to start? There are so many. I saw a Bible with the Greek on one page and the English on the other...I'm considering that, but I don't remember what the version is.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »

I wonder if anyone of your could give me an advice. The does not exist any bible in danish which is using the septuagint so I have thought about buying an english bible but i do not know which one I should choose.

Any suggestions? 

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »

I wonder if anyone of your could give me an advice. The does not exist any bible in danish which is using the septuagint so I have thought about buying an english bible but i do not know which one I should choose.

Any suggestions? 

The emphasis on the septuagints is really overrated. I wouldn't sweat it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 02:36:12 PM »

Any suggestions? 

You can read Brenton's LXX online: http://www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/ and purchase it if you'd like.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 02:37:03 PM »

As said before there is only one correct answer here:

A paragraphed NKJV for daily use.

The Oxford RSV for more serious study now and then.

The KJV its cultural significance.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »

ONE correct answer?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 03:35:39 PM »

ONE correct answer?

How else are others going to occupy their time, if you don't give them something to rail against?

Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 04:32:27 PM »

Any suggestions? 

You can read Brenton's LXX online: http://www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/ and purchase it if you'd like.
Thank you  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 04:41:10 PM »

Any suggestions? 

It might be true but there are no bibles in Denmark which includes the apocrypha except the really old ones. I have a 111 year old bible which belonged to my great grandmother and that is the only one I have ever seen which includes the apocrypha. Unfortunately it is written with gothic text so I can barely understand it.
 Cheesy

-St Silouan the athonite
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 04:47:23 PM »

Any suggestions? 

It might be true but there are no bibles in Denmark which includes the apocrypha except the really old ones. I have a 111 year old bible which belonged to my great grandmother and that is the only one I have ever seen which includes the apocrypha. Unfortunately it is written with gothic text so I can barely understand it.
 Cheesy

Never read a Bible in Danish, would be interesting. There editions of just the apocrypha in English, if you didn't want to get the whole kitchen sink.

If you want the complete apocrypha in a decent translation you should just go the easy route with the Oxford:

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481

If you want to purchase something similar from the German amazon site there are a few RC editions which are similar.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 06:54:26 AM »

Any suggestions? 

Cheesy

Never read a Bible in Danish, would be interesting. There editions of just the apocrypha in English, if you didn't want to get the whole kitchen sink.

If you want the complete apocrypha in a decent translation you should just go the easy route with the Oxford:

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481

If you want to purchase something similar from the German amazon site there are a few RC editions which are similar.

Thank you. I will try that.

-St Silouan the athonite
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 06:46:21 PM »

You forgot Clarence Jordan's translation, The Cotton Patch Gospel:

"Between 1968 and 1973, Dr. Clarence Jordan, a Southern Baptist minister, published four books where he translated the New Testament into colloquial Southern language. These "Cotton Patch" versions...would transplant the story of Jesus into the mid-20th century American South. Jordan's versions...featured the Southern-ized Christ.... "Jesus Davidson" was born in the town of Gainesville, Georgia, and was laid in an apple crate. He was baptized in the Chattahoochee River, he preached to a crowd of thousands on Stone Mountain, and he met his end in Atlanta."
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:46:44 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »

You forgot Clarence Jordan's translation, The Cotton Patch Gospel:

"Between 1968 and 1973, Dr. Clarence Jordan, a Southern Baptist minister, published four books where he translated the New Testament into colloquial Southern language. These "Cotton Patch" versions...would transplant the story of Jesus into the mid-20th century American South. Jordan's versions...featured the Southern-ized Christ.... "Jesus Davidson" was born in the town of Gainesville, Georgia, and was laid in an apple crate. He was baptized in the Chattahoochee River, he preached to a crowd of thousands on Stone Mountain, and he met his end in Atlanta."

Thank you!

Jesus Davidson.

Awesome.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »

I realize that this is an old thread, but felt it was important anyway because Orthodox Christians don't generally read the Bible.  Smiley

For me,  this is the order I love:

1. NRSV w/ Apocrypha by The New Oxford Annotated Bible.

2. New Living Translationi

3. New International Version

4. Orthodox Study Bible (although I don't like the NKJV, esp the KJV.) 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »

I like the Douay-Rheims Bible. However, I received the Knox Bible for Christmas this past year and its now my new favorite.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »

Cheesy

Really? The 1978/85 and 2011 Norwegian translations have the Apocrypha, although they might be published in a separate volume. The 1930 version (basically Danish) does too. I guess that's one of the "really old ones", but at least it's not in Gothic script.

Online version here: http://www.bibel.no/Nettbibelen
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »

Does anyone else like the NLT for daily reading/devotionals?  How about the ESV?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »

Does anyone else like the NLT for daily reading/devotionals?  How about the ESV?

I guess the question was too repugnant to even consider.   Smiley

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »

I guess the question was too repugnant to even consider.   Smiley

Smiley

I don't know what the NLT is.  I have an ESV, but I don't use it, as I heard that, while it is in some places more accurate than the RSV, it also has some evangelical biases in other places.  I don't know how accurate that is, but there it is. 

I use the RSV for the most part.  For study purposes, I'll default to the RSV and compare with the Greek, Syriac (alas, I don't know Hebrew), with the NASB, and with some older Catholic version (either the DR or the pre-NAB Confraternity version).  I have many other translations in my library, but to refer to all of them for study purposes is usually not necessary.  Some of these have very interesting renderings at times, so I will check if I suspect I should.       

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »

I like the Douay-Rheims Bible. However, I received the Knox Bible for Christmas this past year and its now my new favorite.

What makes the Knox Bible your favourite?  I have a copy, but haven't made much use of it as of yet.  In skimming some random places, it seemed to me that the NT was more "clear" to me than the OT (e.g., I tried Sirach and reverted to the RSV).  Is it really a translation of the Vulgate or more of a paraphrase? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

OIF04

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 11:49:15 PM »

I do use te ESV on a daily basis, and I generally like it. However, I also read a RSV - Greek bible b/c my Greek is terrible. I have no clue of the NLT. 
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 08:22:55 AM »

I use the Really Standard Version Common Bible.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »

What makes the Knox Bible your favourite?  I have a copy, but haven't made much use of it as of yet.  In skimming some random places, it seemed to me that the NT was more "clear" to me than the OT (e.g., I tried Sirach and reverted to the RSV).  Is it really a translation of the Vulgate or more of a paraphrase? 

To be honest, I just find it more readable than other Bibles that I have. Its beautiful. My first encounter with the translation was when I was looking up a couple verses (Matthew 25-35) on Bible Gateway and then comparing different translations of the verse. Knox's translation flowed very well. Really, its just a personal preference.

Yes, it is a translation of the Vulgate. He also consults the Hebrew and Greek text where they are needed. For instance, he includes footnotes showing where the Latin and Hebrew are slightly different.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 09:24:55 PM »

I liked the old (1980s) translation of the NIV. The more I see of the NKJV, the more I like it.

The NRSV, RSV, and ESV are also decent, and so is the NLT.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

Faith: Old Rite Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Metr. Kornilii of Russia

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »

We just received a 'Psalter For Prayer' from Jordanville.  
As a personal Psalter for prayer at home or Church, this psalter published by Jordanville is second to none.  This is the only psalter I have found in English that retains all the traditional readings, and it is in traditional language with two ribbon markers.  
(It gets my highest rating: It's Old Believer grade material.)

I understand the Church to have two kinds of psalters -
1) Psalter for Prayer at home and Church
2) Psalter for Study which includes patristic texts used to understand the psalms' meanings

I understand the Psalter published by Holy Apostles Convent and also the one compiled by Johanna Manley to be psalters intended for study.  Although I believe that analogion.com has an online psalter in Greek from the 1790's which retains all the traditional readings like the Russian psalters, since approximately their 1821 revolution, the Greeks have largely failed to publish psalters that include all the proper readings used to chant the psalms.  (This trend was also evidenced by the Patriarchate of Constantinople's publication of an abridged Typikon in 1838 that had many omissions.)  

For the New Testament is concerned, I use the one published by Holy Apostles Convent.  
For the Septuagint, I use Sir Lancelot Brenton's popular and widely available 1851 translation which basically follows the Codex Vaticanus Septuagint manuscript.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:57:01 PM by Dionysii » Logged
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 03:24:37 PM »

I want to see an English translation of the Ethiopian Canon before I die.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »

PSALTER

We just received a 'Psalter For Prayer' from Jordanville.  
As a personal Psalter for prayer at home or Church, this psalter published by Jordanville is second to none.  This is the only psalter I have found in English that retains all the traditional readings, and it is in traditional language with two ribbon markers.  
(It gets my highest rating: It's Old Believer grade material.)

To be completely accurate, the Jordanville Psalter For Prayer is perhaps just slightly less than Old believer grade as I have gone through it erasing the (Nikonian style) third hallelujah at the end of every stasis with white ink.  In spite of such things, it is still the best psalter in print in the English language of which I am aware. 

That said, Johanna Manley's 'Grace For Grace:  The Psalter and the Holy Fathers' is the best English language Explanatory Psalter of which I am aware.  These two psalters complement each other:  one for prayer, the other for searching out the meanings. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOOK OF HOURS

вєликаго, who is superior to me in these things, advised that the Book of Hours (Horologion) complements the Prayer Psalter. 
I have long owned both the big red Boston monastery Horologion and the Old Rite Book of Hours published in Erie, PA, but I seldom used and little understood these because I always defaulted to the same morning and evening prayers located at the beginning of my Old believer prayer book. 

However, I recently trashed my Boston Horologion which proved to be a blessed act because the Old Rite Book of Hours published in Erie, PA contains ample and simple instructional information on how to use the Book of Hours - unlike the Boston HTM Horologion or any other Book of Hours for that matter.  For this reason alone (not to mention others), I have found the Old Rite Book of Hours to be the best Book of Hours available in the English language.  You can know nothing about traditional chanting and order of prayer and the book elegantly and simply explains it all. 
 Smiley

Upon reflection, active use of a Psalter and Book of Hours is more in accord with traditional, ancient, patristic Christian life than forever reciting the same evening & morning prayers from a little prayer book which is more of a nineteenth century little house on the prairie kind of thing. 
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 05:00:04 PM »

I do use te ESV on a daily basis, and I generally like it. However, I also read a RSV - Greek bible b/c my Greek is terrible. I have no clue of the NLT. 

I have two copies of the ESV, one leather bound and one hard, and I have a KJV. I also have two copies of the Hebrew Masoretic and Greek New Testament (The Textus Receptus and the Patriarchal text of 1904)

My Greek is... not half bad. My Hebrew is probably better, since I know Arabic also.

I need a Septuagint still.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:00:31 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 05:03:54 PM »

Rahlfs' Septuagint is quite good. If you're a millionaire you could always buy the volumes of the Gottingen Septuagint.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:04:38 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »

Rahlfs' Septuagint is quite good.

It's on my Wish List, I also have the Septuagint published by the Church of Greece on there.

If you're a millionaire you could always buy the volumes of the Gottingen Septuagint.

Sadly...

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »

Rahlfs' Septuagint is quite good.
Second that motion (if you're looking for one in Greek).

Bilingual Septuagint online which uses Brenton's traditional Elizabethan style English translation:
http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/default.asp

Decent summary of the major Septuagint English translations available:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint#English_translations

It appears that Michael Asser who translated the psalter published by Eastern Christian Supply has also translated the Septuagint into Elizabethan style English for upcoming publication although it is currently posted online by Orthodox England:
http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/oldtest.htm

I have been satisfied so far with Lancelot Brenton's 1851 Septuagint translation which I have read is made primarily from Codex Vaticanus which is also readily ascertained by the fact that his translation has Methuselah reposing 14 years into the flood of Noah.  Codices Alexandrinus and Sinaiticus do not have this error, and these two manuscripts appear to have been specifically alluded to by Blessed Augustine as being free from this error towards the conclusion of his defense of the Septuagint in 'The City of God.'

I seem to remember reading that Michael Asser's English translation of the Septuagint has primarily been made from Codex Vaticanus. 
If that is the case, then it is unfortunate because it would be nice to have a Septuagint around that gets the chronology right. 

In any case, I recommend avoiding the 'Orthodox Study Bible' which haphazardly translates from the Masoretic in some verses and from the Septuagint in others with numbers and other verses from both traditions recklessly thrown together. 
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »

Upon reflection, active use of a Psalter and Book of Hours is more in accord with traditional, ancient, patristic Christian life than forever reciting the same evening & morning prayers from a little prayer book which is more of a nineteenth century little house on the prairie kind of thing. 

It is, perhaps, off topic, but I completely agree with you. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »

In any case, I recommend avoiding the 'Orthodox Study Bible' which haphazardly translates from the Masoretic in some verses and from the Septuagint in others with numbers and other verses from both traditions recklessly thrown together. 

This.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28:01 PM »

Um, try 13th century little manor on the feifdom thing.
Tags: bible translation 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: