OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 02:48:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican Sex Abuse Guidelines Don't Require Reporting Abuse To Authorities?  (Read 882 times) Average Rating: 0
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« on: May 17, 2011, 09:19:22 PM »

Anyone have any comments on this?

Does this sound like a good policy?

'New Vatican Sex Abuse Guidelines Don't Require Reporting Abuse To Authorities' - Video

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:59:08 PM »

Just the fact that it's on a site with the slogan 'destroying the New World Order' makes me less than hopeful that this will be the best quality news source.  Roll Eyes

You might want to go to, say, an actual site operated by the church in question.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Saint Iaint
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 12:53:02 AM »

Just the fact that it's on a site with the slogan 'destroying the New World Order' makes me less than hopeful that this will be the best quality news source.  Roll Eyes

You might want to go to, say, an actual site operated by the church in question.

Why - are you one of the ones that doesn't believe that there is such a thing as the New World Order?

The video is a clip from CNN... What difference what site hosts it?

It's a news clip!

There are Roman Catholics here... I thought they might address it. Is that OK w/ you?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 03:49:02 AM »

Of course it is a good policy. Are all civil governments the same? It is a terrible idea to absolutely require reporting allegations to all civil authorities. You can't have a universal template on this when there are plenty of hostile civil authorities out there which do not respect the rule of law.
Saint Iaint
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:12:06 AM »

Of course it is a good policy. Are all civil governments the same? It is a terrible idea to absolutely require reporting allegations to all civil authorities. You can't have a universal template on this when there are plenty of hostile civil authorities out there which do not respect the rule of law.

Well, that sounds good on paper... but why then is it happening in Boston?

If a teacher or a swim coach or a babysitter or anybody else is accused - including you and I - it's reported immediately isn't it?

Why should they be any different?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:42:29 AM »

If a teacher or a swim coach or a babysitter or anybody else is accused - including you and I - it's reported immediately isn't it?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Don't be so naive. It should be, but it very often is not in the first instance. Schools, particularly principals, far too often try to cover up the first signs of a potential problem by internalizing the investigation. It is an institutional reflexive action not limited to the church. Health care facilities have been known to do the same.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Don't be so naive. It should be, but it very often is not in the first instance. Schools, particularly principals, far too often try to cover up the first signs of a potential problem by internalizing the investigation. It is an institutional reflexive action not limited to the church. Health care facilities have been known to do the same.
In fact, teachers are more likely to commit acts of pedophilia or pedastry than priests.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Saint Iaint
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:43:20 PM »

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

So what?!?

Just because other institutions do it - don't mean diddly.

An institution which claims to be a Church should be held to a higher standard... they should hold themselves to a higher standard!

Stop trying to justify the unjustifiable.

Allegations of conduct between consenting adults is one thing... allegations of child sexual abuse ARE ON A WHOLE 'NOTHER LEVEL!!

I for one am sick of these disgusting child molesters hiding behind the institution and the institution hiding them. ENOUGH!!

And people like you trying to justify it all somehow is even worse.

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.
- Romans 12:9

But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person. For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore "put away from yourselves the evil person."
- I Corinthians 5:11-13

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.
- Ephesians 5:11

Innocent until proven guilty? Yes, but also-

Under investigation until declared not guilty.

What I can't understand is what kind of parent would not report this type of allegation from their child?!?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Saint Iaint
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

In fact, teachers are more likely to commit acts of pedophilia or pedastry than priests.

Again... So what?!?

Which group is more likely to report allegations of criminal child abuse to the police like they should?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Again... So what?!?

Which group is more likely to report allegations of criminal child abuse to the police like they should?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Nowadays? Probably the Church

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 05:32:43 AM »

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Something you'd like to tell us, Papist? Wink
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:32:51 AM by WetCatechumen » Logged

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 05:50:08 AM »

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Again... So what?!?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Right. When I was a Roman Catholic, I used to harp on this point, that teachers, therapists, other ministers in other faiths, and even the general population, were all just as, if not more likely to commit such acts than Catholic priests. I still believe this, and I didn't take the Rod Dreher route, i.e., drop the RC church for Orthodoxy because of the scandal, but I did develop increasing doubts about the issue: the problem, vis a vis the church herself, wasnt the abuse itself, or the occurrence of it, but the handling of it, both because of how widespread and universal the "cover-it-up and shuttle 'em around" approach became, and because the poor handling got closer and closer to Rome (Cardinal Law, etc.). I held, and still hold the RC clergy, at-large to a particularly high standard because of her claims about herself.

I have really come to understand the EO church and Her hierarchy, as my priest here in Russia put it to me (albeit far more eloquently in Russian than I am able to reproduce in English from memory), as being an expression of the Faith, the bride of Christ, which holds the faith together, as opposed to what I see in the RC church, that is, the Church being the source of the faith. It's a minor distinction, kind of a chicken and egg thing, but I think that the RC model inherently implies that the RC hierarchy should not be subject to such widespread error.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Tags: Roman Catholicism  Vatican  Sex Scandals  abuse  Rule of Law 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: