OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 01:42:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriarch Bartholomew address on Annunciation - Need Translation!  (Read 772 times)
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 17, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »

I took this video when I was in Constantinople the week of the Annunciation. Patriarch Bartholomew made this address the night of the Annunciation at St. Demetrius Church (near the city walls & along the Golden Horn).

I need a translation of this address, or at least a summarization of the address.

http://youtu.be/H5Ft3qQ4eSc
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »

Patriarch Bartholomew handed out icons of the "Panagia of the Salutations" after the service. Tradition holds that this icon was the same icon that was processed around the walls of Constantinople during the siege by the Turks, and it kept them at bay.
I realized that this must have been very symbolic, since we were at St. Demetrius Church, we were only 1/4 mile from the city walls.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »

I don't know if this will help, but I hope so- it's from the website of the Patriarchate.

http://www.patriarchate.org/patriarch/messages

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »

He describes the place where the church of St. Demetrios of Xyloporta (is that the church in this video? wow) is located:
-Next to the Byzantine Theodosian wall
-Built at the suburb of Blachernae near to the imperial palace of Constantine Porphyrogenetus
He then gives a general idea of how unsuccesful was the restoration and gentrification attempt, with UNESCO money, by the Turkish government that almost destroyed the Byzantine wall by the Bosphorus and the Sumela monastery in Pontus.
He also thanks and blesses the visitors from Greece especially the youngsters, "who like the martlets, bring spring with them when they visit the Patriarchate", and give strength to him and to the few remaining Orthodox of Constantinople.
He finishes by wishing that Greece will overcome the financial crisis. He then calls up a couple of (Theology?) professors to say a few words.
That's a brief summary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »

He describes the place where the church of St. Demetrios of Xyloporta (is that the church in this video? wow) is located:
-Next to the Byzantine Theodosian wall
-Built at the suburb of Blachernae near to the imperial palace of Constantine Porphyrogenetus
He then gives a general idea of how unsuccesful was the restoration and gentrification attempt, with UNESCO money, by the Turkish government that almost destroyed the Byzantine wall by the Bosphorus and the Sumela monastery in Pontus.
He also thanks and blesses the visitors from Greece especially the youngsters, "who like the martlets, bring spring with them when they visit the Patriarchate", and give strength to him and to the few remaining Orthodox of Constantinople.
He finishes by wishing that Greece will overcome the financial crisis. He then calls up a couple of (Theology?) professors to say a few words.
That's a brief summary.
wow! thank you so much!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: