OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 03:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite "schlocky" movie?  (Read 7205 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

A metal babble! Kill it quick!

« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »

Yes, back to schlock. Conan the Destroyer (though I think ...the Barbarian is actually a fine film).

Destroyer I liked (and own), though I'd agree that it's schlock. Barbarian I thought was rather boring (with the exception of the "hear the lamentation of the women" part), but everyone seems to think it the better of the two...  police

That is not the teaching of Fr. Seraphim Rose.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »

Yes, back to schlock. Conan the Destroyer (though I think ...the Barbarian is actually a fine film).

Destroyer I liked (and own), though I'd agree that it's schlock. Barbarian I thought was rather boring (with the exception of the "hear the lamentation of the women" part), but everyone seems to think it the better of the two...  police

The lamentation of the women... the theological debate between Conan and Subotai ("Crom laughs at your four winds")... Conan's brilliant prayer to Crom... the cult of Thulsa Doom ("they told me lord to thrown down his sword and return to the earth... ha! Time enough for earth in the grave)... the riddle of steel... Conan being seduced by the sorceress than throwing her into the fire... this movie is endless genius. As you can tell I like Conan the Barbarian .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:04:07 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »

Destroyer I liked (and own), though I'd agree that it's schlock. Barbarian I thought was rather boring (with the exception of the "hear the lamentation of the women" part), but everyone seems to think it the better of the two...  police

The lamentation of the women... the theological debate between Conan and Subotai ("Crom laughs at your four winds")... Conan's brilliant prayer to Crom... the cult of Thulsa Doom ("they told me lord to thrown down his sword and return to the earth... ha! Time enough for earth in the grave)... the riddle of steel... Conan being seduced by the sorceress than throwing her into the fire... this movie is endless genius. As you can tell I like Conan the Barbarian .

Wasn't that an Arnold Movie ?  {{{snikering}}

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
the_typist

Jurisdiction: United States of America

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2011, 01:04:07 AM »

When I was young, I liked Toy Soldiers (1991) and my dad and I enjoyed Flash Gordon (1980).

I don't know if it's schlock but I love Big Trouble in Little China.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »

Agreed.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2011, 02:55:04 AM »

Whoever said Pumping Iron was schlock, nah. It's a well-made, very self-aware look at a strange subculture. And it rules, though I think 70's bodybuilding ruined how people lifted weights for about 30 years.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:38 AM »

Whoever said Pumping Iron was schlock, nah. It's a well-made, very self-aware look at a strange subculture. And it rules, though I think 70's bodybuilding ruined how people lifted weights for about 30 years.

If more people did BBing than the fads of today, they would have better results.

Gotta go way back in the iron game to find the gems for the common guy, thankfully those ideas which are simple have been around forever and will remain while all the nonsense that comes and goes, well comes and goes.

Never seen the film. No idea about it. But if you want to get your DL up, I have ideas on that.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:07:37 AM by orthonorm » Logged

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2011, 03:31:03 AM »

If more people did BBing than the fads of today, they would have better results.

Gotta go way back in the iron game to find the gems for the common guy, thankfully those ideas which are simple have been around forever and will remain while all the nonsense that comes and goes, well comes and goes.

Never seen the film. No idea about it. But if you want to get your DL up, I have ideas on that.

It's going up, 30lbs since our last discussion on it, successfully pulled 275.  Smiley

I can't imagine you'd be opposed to the kind of work I'm advocating: power lifts, oly lifts, over isolated bicep work, college kids drinking sugar/caffeine/chemical supplements and going in for "chest and back" day etc.... Can hardly call power/oly lifting "some fad", but then we'll end up hijacking this thread...

And you should see it. It's really very entertaining.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
McB

Faith: Inquirer

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2011, 03:48:19 AM »

Grease 2.

Absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever and I love every single schlocky moment of it.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2011, 05:23:20 AM »

Whoever said Pumping Iron was schlock, nah. It's a well-made, very self-aware look at a strange subculture.

You would make a good comedian Smiley

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2011, 05:28:54 AM »

"The Exorcist"
Some people wouldn't agree that movie is schlock, after all it won several Academy Awards and other regonitions, but watching it now, it's so schlocky! Ellen Burstyn standing around emoting, Jason Miller's unfocused "detachment", lee J Cobb's bizarre portrayl of the detective. The wierd german domestics. And all wrapped around special effects that were second rate even by 70's standards. When it came out in '73 or '74 I was under 17 and had to slip the ticket guy an extra dollar to let me into a "R" movie.

Proverbs 22:7
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2011, 06:29:24 AM »

That is true. "The Omen," "Carrie," "Rosemary's Baby"- a lot of horror movies of that era have their tacky elements even though they are quite scary in sum.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2011, 06:40:13 AM »

That is true. "The Omen," "Carrie," "Rosemary's Baby"- a lot of horror movies of that era have their tacky elements even though they are quite scary in sum.  Smiley
I didn't find Rosemary's Baby to schlocky, I thought it was well done.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2011, 06:46:19 AM »

Rosemary's Baby is fine. Italian horror movies tend on the schlocky side. They usually have that unique combination of bad acting/ dialogue with some very surreal visuals and plots. Lucio Fulci's The Beyond for example.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2011, 07:56:14 AM »

It's going up, 30lbs since our last discussion on it, successfully pulled 275.  Smiley

I can't imagine you'd be opposed to the kind of work I'm advocating: power lifts, oly lifts, over isolated bicep work, college kids drinking sugar/caffeine/chemical supplements and going in for "chest and back" day etc.... Can hardly call power/oly lifting "some fad", but then we'll end up hijacking this thread...

And you should see it. It's really very entertaining.

I do Fork Lifts

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »

That was one of the best movies ever made, In my not so humble opinion.  The pure awesomeness of the film is at times staggering.  I loved his father's speech at the beginning (this you can trust!).  The Tree of Woe is the most awesome name of anything ever uttered in film history.  And then there's "You killed my mother!  You killed my people!  You stole my Father's sword!" pronouncing the 'w' in sword!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2011, 02:35:37 AM »

Conan: The Barbarian is simply good. Consensus has been taken.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »

Haven't seen it since high school, but after seeing Win-Win, how could I forget wearing out a VHS copy of Vision Quest.

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »

Valley of the Dolls.
Sparkle Neely!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2012, 11:09:40 PM »

I'm going to watch Bloodsport tonight in honor of this thread.  Smiley

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »

Tron. Loved it as a kid, and I love it today, but with slightly more critical eyes.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2012, 11:36:30 PM »

Tron. Loved it as a kid, and I love it today, but with slightly more critical eyes.
Just watched that last night. Great movie.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2012, 10:07:47 PM »

[/quote]
Pretty much anything with John Wayne qualifies. Please let me know if there is anything redeemable in his career. Lulz, at his role as the Centurion. One of the funniest moments in Hollywood ever.
[/quote]

There are plenty of John Wayne movies that I love to watch:  They Were Expendable, The Three Godfathers, Sands of Iwo Jima, The Quiet Man, and The Searchers, to name a few.

John Wayne is the type of iconic actor that the self-proclaimed "smart people" love to hate.  You know, the people who sneer at good triumphing over evil, who laugh at patriotism, and who dismiss chivalry as thinly veiled misogyny. Please note, I am not leveling this criticism at anyone on this board.

In addition, John Wayne made over 150 movies in his career, yet his detractors usually concentrate on a handful of stinkers.  By and large, I think his movies are entertaining and I like the fact that he usually portrayed honorable characters that one could look up to.

Per the OP, I agree that Clueless and Red Dawn, while "universally" criticized, are films that are nonetheless good to watch.  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:08:56 PM by Bigsinner » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2013, 10:28:21 PM »

Dodgeball

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »

I've definitely a few (in no particular order):
1) Young Sherlock Holmes
2)  The Final Countdown
3)  Flash Gordon
4)  Magnum Force
5)  Clue
6)  Big Trouble in Little China
7)  They Live
Cool  The Replacements
9)  Top Gun
10)  Hamlet 2

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2014, 10:40:16 PM »

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2014, 10:49:58 PM »

I had to look this up, but I have argued in this thread that Zardoz is not a Schlocky movie and that I really like Dark Star (think Marc1152) and my many attempts to attract people to the Christmas Toy by Jim Henson.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: