OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:34:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite "schlocky" movie?  (Read 7457 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »

You all are really losing the point of this thread . . .

Your rules are really raining on my parade.  Half the movies I like (Three Amigos, Spaceballs, etc.) were intended to be campy.  Cool

What about Bloodsport? I would think that Van Damme was too full of himself to be in a movie that he knew was intended to be schlocky or campy or corny.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 12:26:51 AM »

LOL ALL of Van Damme's movies are super schlocky. My sister loves him without any irony whatsoever. I think he's hilarious.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011, 12:33:38 AM »

It's tough to pick, but I'd have to go with "Hangar 18." Now I think I could shoot a better film with the 'budget' I have in my wallet, but back when I saw it, it freaked the daylights out of me.  Cheesy

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:55 AM »

End of Days.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 02:12:47 AM »

RE: Troma films.

When schlock is done for schlock sake, I don't think it counts.
Agreed.
Plus, I used to know a lot of the folks at Troma, and even during my darker years, I didn't enjoy them much at all.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:33:06 AM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 02:14:40 AM »

I would have gone with Point Break and Roadhouse, but as they've been mentioned, I'll go ahead and mention Iron Eagle.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
the_typist

Jurisdiction: United States of America

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 02:28:10 AM »

I went to the Troma website and it looked pretty raunchy to me so I left. However, after going there it did bring back memories of a movie that I liked when I was in middle school called "Serial Mom". I wouldn't recommend that movie because it's pretty bad but I had memorized just about the whole movie. Very Schlocky at the time and not too many people have heard of it now. I guess that is because it was directed by John Waters. Anyways..
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Mivac

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »

How about Dune, (1984), does it qualify?   I love the move, but everyone else seems to hate it.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »

Does Sean Connery's awful movie Zardoz deserve a spot?  It's got a giant flying skull, and 1970's sci-fi pantsuits, and did I mention.....A FLYING SKULL?

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »

How about Dune, (1984), does it qualify?   I love the move, but everyone else seems to hate it.

The one directed David Lynch?

Nope. Pretty good in my opinion. Especially, within the light of the entirety of his work. He can tell a decent story when reigned in (The Elephant Man). And can tackle a variety of subject matter.

But I can see how others would disagree.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »

Hey, that's a good movie.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »

Does Sean Connery's awful movie Zardoz deserve a spot?  It's got a giant flying skull, and 1970's sci-fi pantsuits, and did I mention.....A FLYING SKULL?

Strange, I found this a rather deep, thought provoking, sci-fi movie along with "Dark Star" that also came out in 1974. Then again, I really like Jim Henson's "The Christmas Toy" and perhaps it is just me.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »

Eraser Head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrl3n2ZtK2E

Proverbs 22:7
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2011, 11:46:36 PM »

How about Phantasm? flying spheres with razors sticking out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJojkFFUsdo

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »

Battlefield Earth is another "masterpiece". Horrible acting and a ridiculous plot, yet thoroughly entertaining to watch. This is easily the worst performance Travolta has ever given. What was he going for? Thespian extraordinaire? Sounds like he rehearsed for a Shakespeare parody, not a Sci-Fi flick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqWK85gJaxc&feature=related

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2011, 01:42:36 AM »

LOL ALL of Van Damme's movies are super schlocky. My sister loves him without any irony whatsoever. I think he's hilarious.
there's only reason to watch Van Damme and it ain't his acting Wink

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2011, 07:04:37 AM »

The one directed David Lynch?

Nope. Pretty good in my opinion. Especially, within the light of the entirety of his work. He can tell a decent story when reigned in (The Elephant Man). And can tackle a variety of subject matter.

But I can see how others would disagree.

I love Lynch's Dune. People tend to criticize it for its lack of faithfulness to the novel (apparently Lynch himself is rather embarrassed by it) but I simply appreciate it on its own merits. Its surreal imagery and soundtrack have haunted me since I was little. I also thoroughly enjoy watching Sting jump up and down, yelling "I will kill him!!!"

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2011, 07:08:22 AM »

Does Sean Connery's awful movie Zardoz deserve a spot?  It's got a giant flying skull, and 1970's sci-fi pantsuits, and did I mention.....A FLYING SKULL?

More like a flying tiki head. I don't know if Zardoz is "awful", but it's perhaps weighed down with ideas and has some very silly moments. It's a very interesting failure. I remember listening to the director's commentary (don't laugh at me) and the director (Jon Boorman) said something like, "I cannot believe my hubris when I was making this film." But the opening scene with the flying stone head is, in my opinion, genius.

THE GUN IS GOOD. THE PENIS IS EVIL... GO FORTH AND KILL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc

If I were elected president, this would be my inauguration speech.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:09:58 AM by Iconodule » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2011, 08:23:35 AM »

PEOPLE. Dune IS schlock. That is all.  Cool

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2011, 09:26:33 AM »

Does Sean Connery's awful movie Zardoz deserve a spot?  It's got a giant flying skull, and 1970's sci-fi pantsuits, and did I mention.....A FLYING SKULL?

More like a flying tiki head.

You're right.  A bearded tiki head is a much better description.  Now if you want a really excellent Sean Connery sci-fi/fantasy movies, my absolute favorite is the original Highlander;  the sequels could be voted best schlocky movies, but the first is really well done.  I've probably seen it 2 dozen times and never grow tired of it.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2011, 09:31:27 AM »

Apparently Zardoz was originally supposed to be an adaptation of the Lord of the Rings, then the licensing fell through....

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »

How about Phantasm? flying spheres with razors sticking out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJojkFFUsdo

No doubt. Actually scared my brother.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2011, 02:19:44 PM »

This thread like most is coming off the rails.

What is your favorite schlocky movie?

That is a movie you have watched more than a few times and thoroughly enjoy and ain't some self-referential, low post-modern, low ironic film. IOW a film that was that ostensibly was made for straightforward mass entertainment.

Toss another of mine into the mix Bring it on!

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »

I was WAITING for someone to mention Bring it On!! I am surprised it was you!  Cheesy (Or should I not be, given your apparent love for teenage-girl films?)

I don't know if "Blades of Glory" is schlock. I guess they're kind of self aware, but I have not really liked any Will Ferrell movies....However, I watched "Blades of Glory" in an airplane and was publicly hushed all around for screaming with laughter during naptime hours....it's the one movie in my collection that I have to explain to all guests. (95% of the other films are foreign films.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:23:01 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »

Oh yeah, one that might qualify for many of you:

That piece of tripe about the Orthodox monk called The Island in English.

Pure schlock.

And pretty much any film about Jesus except for maybe Mel Gibson's film, which actually has many redeemable qualities.

OK, now I have another I just thought of while writing the above Cecil B. Demille's The Ten Commandments, the 1956 version. Can't think of an Easter (oops, Pascha) without it.

If you ain't seen his version from 1923, I strongly advise you do. Rather interesting.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »

I was WAITING for someone to mention Bring it On!! I am surprised it was you!  Cheesy (Or should I not be, given your apparent love for teenage-girl films?)

I don't know if "Blades of Glory" is schlock. I guess they're kind of self aware, but I have not really liked any Will Ferrell movies....However, I watched "Blades of Glory" in an airplane and was publicly hushed all around for screaming with laughter during naptime hours....it's the one movie in my collection that I have to explain to all guests. (95% of the other films are foreign films.)

Told you I love those silly high school underdog movies.

Blades of Glory ain't schlock. It is ****ing brilliant. Arguably one of the best pure comedies of the last eight years. I saw it the first time with a gaggle of 14 year old boys, it was a blast. Probably watch it every six months. I have to say I laugh as hard every time.

Mean Girls is the only other contender to the crown. Again my penchant for the whole high school ugly duckling thing. Great movie.

Highly recommenced.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »

My stupid and embarrassingly love for good romcoms and such nonsense like Bring it on! (don't even bring up the TV I am watch) plus a willingness to dance without a drink in my hand with just about any woman at a wedding reception or elsewhere has allowed me to overcome my physical and personality defects when it comes to attracting the opposite sex.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »

My stupid and embarrassingly love for good romcoms and such nonsense like Bring it on! (don't even bring up the TV I am watch) plus a willingness to dance without a drink in my hand with just about any woman at a wedding reception or elsewhere has allowed me to overcome my physical and personality defects when it comes to attracting the opposite sex.
If you didn't post your picture here, I would think that you are one of my best friends from college, who would watch romcoms with me and cry (he also begged me to watch the SATC movie with him!). You don't knit, do you?  Wink

By the way, dancing with a lot of women anywhere gets you a million points. I am sure you know that first-hand, it sounds like.

ETA: Someone should totally start a guilty pleasure TV shows thread....that would be a LOT of tun!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:56:01 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »

Pumping Iron

I'm not sure how much they sensed that it was going to be schlocky. The way they talk about trying to get the film financed and made makes me think that they took it quite seriously, even if they admitted that it was also a somewhat crazy subculture. But either way, I love the film, and there are some great lines in there. I do find the delusions that George Butler and others have about the film to be comical, but having said that, at least they're honest enough to admit that some of it was fiction and set up to create a better story (though Butler is still willing to fib about things in interviews to make the story sound better).

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »

Starship Trooper FTW! Never has such cheez been so much fun.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2011, 04:05:50 PM »

Starship Trooper is disqualified on account of being pure irony. The odd thing is, a lot of people took it seriously. My friend and I were the only people in the theater laughing.

For my part, I'll throw in Sergio Corbucci's Django. Outside of the Leone films, spaghetti westerns tend to be on the schlocky side.

TinaG
High Elder

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »

Pure schlock.

You are making a pretty big throwdown Orthonorm by describing Ostrov Island as a schlock movie!  Pray tell what makes this a schlock movie by any standard?  A little fantastical but not any more so than reading the lives of the saints.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »

Starship Trooper is disqualified on account of being pure irony. The odd thing is, a lot of people took it seriously. My friend and I were the only people in the theater laughing.

For my part, I'll throw in Sergio Corbucci's Django. Outside of the Leone films, spaghetti westerns tend to be on the schlocky side.

Thank you for getting the point. Heinlein though as an author basically killed the whole time travel genre brilliantly in a single short story. A wonderful story and a quick read: All You Zombies.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:54 PM »

Pure schlock.

You are making a pretty big throwdown Orthonorm by describing Ostrov Island as a schlock movie!  Pray tell what makes this a schlock movie by any standard?  A little fantastical but not any more so than reading the lives of the saints.

You're right, some of the accounts of the lives of the Saints are almost pure lulz. You really have to aware of the genre of the various times they were written in to bracket out a lot of baggage the stories carry that smack trite to the (post/hyper)-modern reader, especially those written in the wake of mediaval legendary genre.

Sorry, but if you ain't at least chuckling at some of those stories or rolling your eyes, you might want to check for the sin of piety.

Sorry, but unfortunately for most Saints, they did not have an author the caliber of Shakespeare or even a Dostoyevsky telling their stories.

The Island is utterly predictable, sentimental, pedantic, hackneyed, stilted (continue every cliched flaw in story telling).

It's only redeeming characteristic is that the director had the restraint and creativity of an art school student to pick up some nice environmentals.

Outside the story, the other lulz is that the actor playing the lead caricature (not sure if a real human shows up in the entire film), said he basically played himself in the role.

It is a bad Orthodox superhero film.

But if you like it, that's great. That is the point of this thread.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:41:05 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »

My wifes fav. is : "The Dairy" total girls movie.. If I am forced to see it one more time...........

Mine is "Horse Soldiers" ..total boys Movie and real schlocky... John Wayne. Here is my favorite part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7PPpyo6yw

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »

My wifes fav. is : "The Dairy" total girls movie.. If I am forced to see it one more time...........

Mine is "Horse Soldiers" ..total boys Movie and real schlocky... John Wayne. Here is my favorite part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7PPpyo6yw

Pretty much anything with John Wayne qualifies. Please let me know if there is anything redeemable in his career. Lulz, at his role as the Centurion. One of the funniest moments in Hollywood ever.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »

Bubba Hotep, best bad movie ever.

They Call Me Trinity is on my permanent list of favorite movies.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »

Re: lives of the saints, I find the "legendary" parts some of the most moving and worthwhile. If they are not literally "true", then think of them like flowers around someone's grave. I have no interest in modern scholarship's attempt to construct the "historic" St. Patrick or whoever. The growth of "legendary" matter around a saint is a testament to the vitality of the cult. Modern "objective" historicism is no more truthful than the medieval folklore, but it's a hell of a lot more boring.

In terms of writing, some lives of saints are better than others. A lot of Metaphrastes' lives are beautifully written, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:08:07 PM by Iconodule » Logged

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »

Pure schlock.

You are making a pretty big throwdown Orthonorm by describing Ostrov Island as a schlock movie!  Pray tell what makes this a schlock movie by any standard?  A little fantastical but not any more so than reading the lives of the saints.

You're right, some of the accounts of the lives of the Saints are almost pure lulz. You really have to aware of the genre of the various times they were written in to bracket out a lot of baggage the stories carry that smack trite to the (post/hyper)-modern reader, especially those written in the wake of mediaval legendary genre.

Sorry, but if you ain't at least chuckling at some of those stories or rolling your eyes, you might want to check for the sin of piety.

Sorry, but unfortunately for most Saints, they did not have an author the caliber of Shakespeare or even a Dostoyevsky telling their stories.

The Island is utterly predictable, sentimental, pedantic, hackneyed, stilted (continue every cliched flaw in story telling).

It's only redeeming characteristic is that the director had the restraint and creativity of an art school student to pick up some nice environmentals.

Outside the story, the other lulz is that the actor playing the lead caricature (not sure if a real human shows up in the entire film), said he basically played himself in the role.

Wow, for the use of the above bolded words I think I have just lost all respect for you.   Cry

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »

Since when has piety been a sin?  False piety, pomposity, pride, perjury, perhaps, but piety?  Preposterous.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »

Pure schlock.

Wow, for the use of the above bolded words I think I have just lost all respect for you.   Cry

I've lost the respect of others for fewer words. Like it or not, this thread doesn't exist outside that nebulous description of our time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:24:13 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2011, 05:17:16 PM »

Since when has piety been a sin?  False piety, pomposity, pride, perjury, perhaps, but piety?  Preposterous.

Then you are not familiar with its full usage in the English language. It can mean engaging the trappings of "religious" or "spiritual" life without much else going on.

"False piety" can be conveyed in English by simply using the word "piety". If you want to know how it is being used look at the context. In what I wrote, it is pretty clear which.

It is a case of an ironic use of a word becoming part of the standard usage.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »

Re: lives of the saints, I find the "legendary" parts some of the most moving and worthwhile. If they are not literally "true", then think of them like flowers around someone's grave. I have no interest in modern scholarship's attempt to construct the "historic" St. Patrick or whoever. The growth of "legendary" matter around a saint is a testament to the vitality of the cult. Modern "objective" historicism is no more truthful than the medieval folklore, but it's a hell of a lot more boring.

In terms of writing, some lives of saints are better than others. A lot of Metaphrastes' lives are beautifully written, in my opinion.

Some folks do like the legendary embellishments. Some people like to go to Ren-Fest. To each their own. I would not be able give you some examples off the top of my head. I'll have to ask my friend who is really into this sorta stuff. He is a rather close lay student of legends. And he occasionally will pull out an example of a life of a Saint that is just hilarious.

And my post did not suggest anything about "objectivity" or even "historicism". I mentioned genre criticism. Which everyone with a modicum of education engages in. It is just a matter to what degree and how explicitly.

After all, we do talk about parables, psalms, wisdom literature, etc. all the time here. And I think most would say they are not to be read the same way.

Anyway we are getting off track.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »

Some folks do like the legendary embellishments. Some people like to go to Ren-Fest.

I've never been to Ren-Fest but I do love poetry and see truth in poetry, and try to see poetry in the world. And, like Elder Porphyrios says, that's an important part of being Christian. Yes, I am writing this message to you on the internet in the year 2011 where I can download ancient chants onto an iPod while watching Conan the Destroyer. Yes, we are all influenced and colored by modernity. I don't understand why such an aura of profundity is attached to such obvious and banal observations. It doesn't change what Truth is- Christ, the same, yesterday, today, tomorrow.

And my post did not suggest anything about "objectivity" or even "historicism". I mentioned genre criticism. Which everyone with a modicum of education engages in. It is just a matter to what degree and how explicitly.

You mentioned "bracketing out" the "baggage" that doesn't fit our modern sensibilities, which seems to me to go far beyond any genre criticism. Why would you want to do such a thing?

After all, we do talk about parables, psalms, wisdom literature, etc. all the time here. And I think most would say they are not to be read the same way.

And we don't dismiss the Psalms or ridicule them because David occasionally mentions mountains leaping with joy.

Anyway we are getting off track.

Yes, back to schlock. Conan the Destroyer (though I think ...the Barbarian is actually a fine film).

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: