OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 24, 2014, 12:57:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion of sorts  (Read 436 times) Average Rating: 0
Isidora

« on: May 17, 2011, 05:57:14 AM »

Hello all Smiley

I guess I am kind of converting, but not.  I was born into the Orthodox faith, but have not been part of it for most of my life now.  I stopped going to church when I was a teenager, and for about 13 years now have only been a couple of times to church, but to western Anglican or Evangelical churches.  I thought this was what I wanted, but it doesn't feel right to me.  So I am trying to go back to Orthodoxy, as to me it feels right.  But, there is something stopping me, I think it is just nerves and it being something different to what I have recently been sued to. but I also feel afraid that God will be unhappy that I turned my back on the church and went elsewhere.

As I haven't been part of the church in so long, a lot I have forgotten, or haven't learned, so it feels like something very new to me in some ways.  So I feel like I am converting.

I will probably have a lot of questions, and will need some advice, but hopefully I find myself soon at home Smiley
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »

welcome isidora!
(have i been here long enough to welcome people?)
never loose heart on your spiritual journey, keep going until you find the peace that God gives, and don't let anything get in the way. ask, seek and knock.
 Smiley
mabsoota ('happy' in arabic)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:06:32 AM »

I have heard it said that cradle Orthodox  must also undergo a conversion of sorts at some point in their lives. Perhaps this is what is happening to you. Conversion is never easy. It will anger the devil and he will try to deter your endeavors to return to the Church. Be persistent, and recognize your trials as opportunities to draw nearer to God.

Our Lord is never angry at those who return to Him! Remember the story of the prodigal son! Christ is welcoming you back to His Church with open arms of unconditional love. Talk with a Priest and ask him to guide you back into the community of the faithful. Rejoice that you are coming home!

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer themselves are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:04:21 AM »

I also feel afraid that God will be unhappy that I turned my back on the church and went elsewhere.

I suspect that God understands that some of us need time to affirm things for ourselves. After all, He made each of us unique. Welcome back.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »

...I also feel afraid that God will be unhappy that I turned my back on the church and went elsewhere.

Remember the parable of the Prodigal Son and rejoice!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »

...I also feel afraid that God will be unhappy that I turned my back on the church and went elsewhere.

Remember the parable of the Prodigal Son and rejoice!

and the lost sheep!

Jesus said: “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance."

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:36:44 PM »

Like others have said, don't be worried God will be unhappy with you for having left the Church.  God is saddened by your having left, and like the father in the Parable of the Prodigal Son, he waits at his window looking at the horizon until you return.  When you come back to the Church, he won't admonish you and tell you to go work the fields.  He will embrace you and host a feast out of joy for your return.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: