OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:54:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Orthodox Study Bible  (Read 4146 times) Average Rating: 0
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 11:11:59 AM »

"No Orthodox bishop" etc. "has given a blessing" well then what do the names of all SCOBA hierarchs in each edition signify? I presume that these do not constitute an impramatur so what sort of oversight do their names constitute?

A printed name is just a name, not necessarily an endorsement. The OSB was a project by some Orthodox, but not one  specifically blessed by a synod.
They are designated as an oversight (appropriately?) committee so they have given a form of permission but not blessing i guess???

It is not an official translation/publication of the Church, only of Zondervan.
"In 1998 St Athanasius Academy sought to answer the question by first seeking the blessing of our beloved Metr Philip." (The Word, May 2003 p.5) From article "An Update on the OSB- OT Project.

That's not what is meant by saying the text is blessed. Metropolitans bless a lot of things. But there is no statement in the book saying that a certain synod or bishop authorizes this text for use or endorses it to be read.
There probably never will be an "official" translation & even if so, it still may not please you.

I'm sorry you made that remark.
In any case, there are many official translations in other languages. Some of them have problems. My main problem with the OSB is that it is a half-measure that is touted as more than what it is. It is also not official. I fail to see how this means I cannot be pleased by anything.
I am sorry I made it too & ask for your forgiveness on this. This is just one of many things I am having exaspiration re what to believe in some areas, what's reliable to use, what is tradtion etc......ya da ya da ya da....

Antiochian OC N.A.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 11:38:35 AM »

Study bibles are not Orthodox. Full period.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »

No disagreement, really. After all, "bibles" in the sense of a single bound volume of OT and NT Holy Scriptures are not Orthodox either.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »

Well I know of inquirers to Orthodoxy who may have little else to go with and  I have heard many views on the OSB. I have spoken to a priest of course & a prominent cradle, old world Orthodox scholar ( I will not name drop because I do not think these men would want me to) re the OSB & it must indeed be most imperfect. On another forum there is a potential catachumen in spiritual shark waters  attending DLs, using an OSB (along w/ other & "better" readings) in approaching the faith etc.. I would tell her to stick with the OSB if the situation arose,"Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?"

Antiochian OC N.A.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »

I rather agree.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 01:19:54 PM »

Hristos a inviat!
Ignorance is?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »

Neither are automobiles; I still use them regularly and to beneficial effect.  I do understand the point, but my priest recommended I get and use the OSB.  It was useful to me.  As a Catechumen, should I have refused and told him that I didn't believe it was Orthodox to have a study bible?  Do I view the Bible and studying it the same way that a Protestant fundamentalist would? Of course not.  Fr. Thomas Hopko and many others have pointed out that scriptural knowledge has been a longstanding weakness among Orthodox laity.  Perhaps the development of the OSB is an attempt to combat that, while simultaneously providing a guided and familiar way to absorb more scripture-focused Christians into the true Church.  

I also find it less than helpful that we (anonymous laypeople on the internet) can so easily make pronouncements of what is and isn't Orthodox.  

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »

Neither are automobiles; I still use them regularly and to beneficial effect.
I also find it less than helpful that we (anonymous laypeople on the internet) can so easily make pronouncements of what is and isn't Orthodox.
To clarify what I said earlier today, that was my point. I have an OSB and use it regularly. It's one tool in the toolbox. Many will use it frequently and effectively. Others will prefer other methods. In that sense, I suppose, it's very Orthodox (if, of course, I'm allowed to make that pronouncement  Wink).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »

(if, of course, I'm allowed to make that pronouncement  Wink).
I'll allow it, but just this once.  Next time, 900 prostrations.  Wink

I understood your perspective, which is why I just quoted Augustin's statement. 

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »

I would also point out that bible reading itself is not an activity traditionally associated with  Orthodox laity.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »

^
Agreed.  That association may or may not be a positive one though.

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »

That association may or may not be a positive one though.

St John Chrysostom didn't think so. He practically couldn't pay people to read the Bible.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:24:24 PM by bogdan » Logged
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »

That's what I was trying to get at, diplomatically, which means ineffectively and confusedly.   Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2011, 05:02:32 AM »

our Lord Jesus Himself exhorted His hearers to 'search the scriptures' (john 5) and so did the apostles who wrote the books of the new testament.
i wonder,is it better to run away from all scripture reading just in case someone might think you are getting too protestant?
maybe, we should just let those who are not clergy stand at the back of the church, not quite hear what is said, not have time to ask questions (few priests for very many people) and then just watch as they slide towards damnation?

saint john chrysostom was not a protestant. the monks and nuns who faithfully copied out the Holy Bible by hand and distributed it or sold it for hundreds of years were not protestants.

so why should we now associate Bible reading with protestants?
is it not because of our failure to adequately teach and instruct the faithful over the last 500 years that there are even any protestants?
should we not rather be ashamed that there are so many people with a faulty understanding of theology who are captured by the beautiful words of God so much that they can help reading it every day?
should we not rather 'spur one another on to good deeds' and instruct and encourage those who are not clergy to see the beauty in the Holy Bible so they learn from the church, study hard and become the next generation of priests/priests' wives/nuns?
 Huh
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 12:23:55 AM »

St John Chrysostom didn't think so. He practically couldn't pay people to read the Bible.

I don't think many people had access to Bibles in Chrysostom's day. 

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 01:54:37 AM »

We know the rich definitely did have the scriptures in their homes.

As for augustin's comment... It is most certainly "Orthodox". Reading the scriptures is definitely something we must do, and our Saints support this idea.

While laypeople having direct, tangible access to the scriptures is a relatively recent development, that doesn't mean it's not Orthodox. It's most certainly not harmful (depending on how ones approaches it).

Laypeople having access to writings of the Saints is newer as well, but that doesn't mean it's not Orthodox.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 02:13:54 AM »

As for augustin's comment... It is most certainly "Orthodox". Reading the scriptures is definitely something we must do, and our Saints support this idea.

While laypeople having direct, tangible access to the scriptures is a relatively recent development, that doesn't mean it's not Orthodox. It's most certainly not harmful (depending on how ones approaches it).

Laypeople having access to writings of the Saints is newer as well, but that doesn't mean it's not Orthodox.

I'm not saying that it is not Orthodox.  I am just stating that the universal availability of the written Word is a relatively recent luxury, not to mention general literacy.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2011, 10:21:41 AM »

I'm not saying that it is not Orthodox.  I am just stating that the universal availability of the written Word is a relatively recent luxury, not to mention general literacy.

This depends very much on place and time. From what I've seen, literacy and book owning amongst the masses is not, historically, an ascending scale, but one that has rises and dips, depending on other historical circumstances. Literacy rates have risen and fallen over time in various places.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 11:48:34 AM »

It was literate, educated cradle Orthodox who have created agencies like the OCMC, IOCC, etc. and the work done by gruops like these is charity and helping to maintain the Orthodox faith in lands that might be vulnerable to non Orthodox proselytes. I guess some opinions favor  that the laity be Biblically illiterate though.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: