OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 09:34:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bulgarian Orthodox Church honors Batak martyrs  (Read 821 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:09:45 PM »

The Bulgarian Orthodox Church will this week place on display the relics of the Batak martyrs, who died in a revolt against the Ottoman Empire in the late 1800s and were canonized in April, 2011.

From the article:
Between 4000 and 5000 Bulgarians were butchered in the Batak Massacre – in the southern town of Batak – described by journalist MacGahan in a shocking account, while some 700 were slaughtered in the region of Novo Selo, Kravenik, Batoshevo, and Apriltsi – villages in Northern Bulgaria near Lovech.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:52:17 PM »

Hristos Voskrese......Slavimoga ,Slavitega

Sad the evils People Do to Each Other..... police

Lord Have Mercy.....Amen Amen

+May there Memories Ever be Eternal.....Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »

It looks like it was quite the event! I think most of the Orthodox Churches were represented - from what I remember only the Palestinian, Georgian, and American Orthodox Churches didn't send representatives.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:06:27 PM »

My spiritual father (an OCA priest) was there, though I'm not sure if it was in an "official" capacity. But there are photos of him concelebrating with everyone else.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »

Sweet! The Sofia Patriarchate's website didn't say anything about it although I do believe that the Bulgarian Orthodox Church recognizes the OCA's autocephaly. Is he a priest in the Bulgarian Orthodox Diocese?

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »

Sweet! The Sofia Patriarchate's website didn't say anything about it although I do believe that the Bulgarian Orthodox Church recognizes the OCA's autocephaly. Is he a priest in the Bulgarian Orthodox Diocese?

No, but he's been good friends with Bulgarian parishioners and has been to Bulgaria a few times.

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »

Nice! I wish I could go - it's on my (rather long) list of travel destinations :-).

ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 02:26:56 AM »

It looks like it was quite the event! I think most of the Orthodox Churches were represented - from what I remember only the Palestinian, Georgian, and American Orthodox Churches didn't send representatives.

http://bg-patriarshia.bg/news.php?id=45327

Only Jerusalem and Georgia were not represented. The Orthodox Church in America was represented by "прот. Дейвид Маккафи - Американска православна църква".

The Patriarchates of Constantinople, Alexandria, Moscow, Serbia, Romania and the Churches of Cyprus, Greece, Albania and Poland were represented by bishops. The Patriarchate of Antioch, the Church of the Czech lands and the OCA were represented by priests.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 02:57:16 AM »

One of the Bulgarian Monasteries from the website that's posted ,Very Nice.....Looks like they took our serbian designs....Nice never the less though.... Grin

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:07:57 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 03:31:44 AM »

One of the Bulgarian Monasteries from the website that's posted ,Very Nice.....Looks like they took our serbian designs....Nice never the less though.... Grin

This is the Rila Monastery, which was founded by St. John of Rila in the 10th century. As for the design I don't believe they copied the Serbs, it's most likely the opposite.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 06:35:19 AM »

An interesting design. Nice buildings!  angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 07:26:45 AM »

http://bg-patriarshia.bg/news.php?id=45327

Only Jerusalem and Georgia were not represented. The Orthodox Church in America was represented by "прот. Дейвид Маккафи - Американска православна църква".

That's Fr. David Mahaffey

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »

Interesting indeed. It's nice to see churches around the World. For me it seems that Orthodox architecture is more colorful and diverse than traditional Western ecclesiastical architecture.

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »

Yeah, Batak and Rila aren't the same place :-). Still gorgeous though!

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »

Yeah, Batak and Rila aren't the same place :-). Still gorgeous though!

Batak in serbian i translate, as Drumstick in english..... Grin

Tags: martyrs  Batak  Bulgarian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: