OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 04:56:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban on Political Discussion  (Read 3382 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: June 07, 2004, 04:56:20 PM »

While the Administrators of OC.net will have to decide with the input of our moderators the ultimate decision, we would appreaciate your input.

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 05:28:22 PM »

I voted other. The alternative would be to start a forum devoted to political issues that directly affect the Orthodox Christian. Whether moderated or unmoderated, I'm not sure. And if this would take a while to put together (since I know Robert is very busy and he'd hafta do the code or however it works to make a new forum), then I'd say either keep the ban or restricted discussion until then. Smiley

hmmmm...
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 09:43:29 PM »

I agree with Donna.  That seems to be the best course of action, even though it would mean many thankless hours spent staring at coding.  If that happens, it probably should be moderated in order to keep it on political subjects that pertain to Orthodox.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 10:01:15 PM »

Any kind of political discussion should be moderated.  It makes for a more 'pleasant' forum to be without political discussion but politics can often times be relevant to the forum so I voted for the restricted discussion option.  

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 10:45:32 PM »

Ditto Jennifer.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 11:18:30 PM »

While we are in the world we must play a role in all aspects of life. Rendering to Caesar means a lot more in our Society than 1st Century Palestine. I like the idea of a place on this forum where politics can be discussed, provided that it does not flow into the Faith, prayer and other forums AND  it remains relevant to our higher calling as members of Christ's Church.   I vote "other" too.
(Can newbies even vote?  Grin)

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 11:29:08 PM »

I voted for restricted. I think it's almost impossible not to talk about it since church & state issues have been in the headlines lately. It's probably due to the political season we are in also. I'm sure it will die down after the elections.

What should be restricted somewhat are the democrats versus republicans threads which get really boring after awhile. I think political threads that deal with much more general political discourse (not specifically political party's themselves) is fine. We've had recent threads about the ACLU & the seperation of church & state issues that seem almost unavoidable not to talk about from time to time because that's something that can truely affect the church. Anyway........that's my two cents

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 07:21:01 AM »

I think there has to be some, I think it should be civil, and so restricted it probably best.

B
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 11:31:27 AM »

I agree with DonnaRose

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 01:03:57 PM »

Create separate forum for topics of a political nature....

Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 01:24:31 PM »

Create separate forum for topics of a political nature....

That's a good idea....

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 01:50:31 PM »

I voted other as well as I firmly agree with Donna Rose's idea.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 07:13:43 AM »

A separate forum for political discussion would be a good thing, since it is practically impossible to exclude politics.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
OrthServ86

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 12:07:19 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I personally, being a Canadian, and an Orthodox Christian, am dead set against political conversations in general on a forum dedicated to the faith. I have seen enough in history and in the types of conversations that this topic brews to know such a topic leads only to the degenration of the mind and antagonism between fellow men. To argue policies of a secular government from a religious standing point only worsens the matter; and for those of us who do not believe in democracy, it encourages only sadness and leads to our outcast.

Render unto Caesar that which is his; preferably in a different forum.

Just my two cents,
peace, and may God bless you all.

-Justin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 12:07:40 PM by OrthServ86 » Logged
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 11:49:28 PM »

Render unto Caesar that which is his;

I find it interesting that so many Christians are so quick to "Render unto Ceaser". Perhaps we should focous more on rendering unto God?

Bagpiper in da house!!!!!!!!!!!

He shall have dominion!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 02:37:49 AM »

I find it interesting that so many Christians are so quick to "Render unto Ceaser". Perhaps we should focous more on rendering unto God?

LoL....Orthodox Bagpiper. Good way of putting it. I also wondered why so many christians feel like government should take care of everyone. I could have sworn that Christ commanded the "WE" take care of the downtrodden, not a secular government. Must have missed that in bible 101.........

Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 12:24:00 AM »

LoL....Orthodox Bagpiper. Good way of putting it. I also wondered why so many christians feel like government should take care of everyone. I could have sworn that Christ commanded the "WE" take care of the downtrodden, not a secular government. Must have missed that in bible 101.........  

We catholics don't go to "Bible 101" because we are not Bible literalists.  

As for why "so many Christians" believe that government has a duty to promote the general welfare, I would suggest that belief is based in the catholic understanding of government.  The Roman Catholic Church teaches that society is required to help the less fortunate.  (Catechism #2288)  The RC also teaches that society must promote "social justice."  

And, btw, I assume as a logical assumption of this post that you do not expect our "secular government" to promote Christian values such as life and hetrosexual marriage.  
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 12:45:33 AM »

Nacho, for more information on the catholic understanding of social justice see the following link.

http://www.tcrnews2.com/economics2cw.html
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 01:36:57 AM »

As for why "so many Christians" believe that government has a duty to promote the general welfare, I would suggest that belief is based in the catholic understanding of government.  The Roman Catholic Church teaches that society is required to help the less fortunate.  (Catechism #2288)  The RC also teaches that society must promote "social justice."

I  beleive in "social justice" up to a point. I think that point has been crossed a long time ago by our federal government that thinks it's a great idea to tax people so heavily that an average worker works the first 5 months for the government for free paying his/her "fair" share of taxes. If you could also please enlighten us, where in the bible or church history does it show any major support for secular governments taking care of everyone. I thought this was the Church's job?Huh Must have missed that also in church history 101.....

Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2004, 02:22:34 AM »

You only believe in "social justice" up to a point?  That's a very telling statement.  

I think there's a lot you missed in "Church History 101."  I suggest you read the above link.
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2004, 01:50:55 PM »

You only believe in "social justice" up to a point?  That's a very telling statement.  
I think there's a lot you missed in "Church History 101."  I suggest you read the above link

Yea, I sure missed those great teachings by the church fathers on the role of government in society & how they should provide for us all.

OrthServ86

OC.net

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2004, 02:36:32 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I feel I should clarify:

When I said "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's," I continued with "prefereably in a different forum." That is to say, if you are interested in discussing politics and you think that they take are worth discussing at all ( I know I don't think so), then please, do so on another forum.

So I would kindly ask that you take into consideration the spirit of the entirety of my message before accusing me (if that is what you were doing, if not, then forgive this message and please correct my error of understanding) of idle chatter and forgetting the prominence of rendering unto God that which is his.

Peace be upon you all  Smiley ,

-Justin
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2004, 02:50:11 PM »

If you could also please enlighten us, where in the bible or church history does it show any major support for secular governments taking care of everyone.

Where in the Bible or Church history do we find the Fathers talking about a Democratic or Republican form of government?  They all lived under an absolute monarchy, practically speaking, where the government DID take care of everyone: that's the role of the monarch, to provide for his subjects.

Of course there's no discussion of the role of our particular form of goverment amongst the Fathers because it didn't exist when they were writing.

Just food for thought.  I'm for the total ban of political discussion because it just ends up with Nacho and Jennifer trying to prove how big their respective....

...oh, excuse me, there I go again. Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2004, 03:27:06 PM »

Those Mike Savage quotes are great, particularly the first two.  Not since Goebbells have we had such outstanding one-liners.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2004, 04:26:01 PM »

Where in the Bible or Church history do we find the Fathers talking about a Democratic or Republican form of government?  They all lived under an absolute monarchy, practically speaking, where the government DID take care of everyone: that's the role of the monarch, to provide for his subjects.

Of course there's no discussion of the role of our particular form of goverment amongst the Fathers because it didn't exist when they were writing.

Just food for thought.  I'm for the total ban of political discussion because it just ends up with Nacho and Jennifer trying to prove how big their respective....

...oh, excuse me, there I go again. Smiley

I don't have a "respective..."  Although maybe Freud was right and I have some #@!! envy.   Wink

I support either a total ban on political topics or a moderated forum.  And by total, I mean total, meaning that posts like the one in the Christian news forum about Kerry violate the ban.  

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2004, 08:49:14 PM »

I think that if people don't like to talk about politics, then they should just stay off of a political thread. No one is forcing anyone to be on a particular thread or read anything political. If one doesn't want to talk politics, which is part of life, then they should self impose a ban on themselves.

Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: