OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:20:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darkness in Holy Week?  (Read 592 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« on: May 15, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »

I never got to attend any Holy Week services this year except for the morning Liturgy on Great and Holy Saturday. But when I was looking through the photos of the services I saw that they all seemed pretty dark and shadowy. Is it customary to make the Church dark during Holy Week?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:28:45 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »

In my parish, there was darkness (no light except for candles) on Holy Thursday evening, and of course there is the preparatory 'lights out' before the candles on Holy Saturday evening. I believe this is to show us that Christ is the Light.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »

At my parish, instead of allowing the hundreds of lit candles to light the church during the "defte, lavete fos"/"come receive the light" on Holy Saturday evening, the over-zealous ushers hit the electricity as soon as the choir started on "tin anastasi sou"/"of your resurrection".

I know I risk being accused of being hyper-orthodox and making an idol of traditions by saying this, but I thought it was so tacky and ruined the vibe/symbolism. It's such a beautiful thing to see the light of the resurrection physically shared amongst the people, having emerged from the darkened sanctuary as if from a tomb. Just hitting the lights doesn't seem to have the same effect.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »

Yikes. I'd be disappointed, too.  Undecided

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »

Once the Greeks get their head around a piece of technology it is like a kitten with a ball of yarn.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »

I think if somebody did that at my church I might actually request a redo.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »

So glad some people are on the same page. I was expecting to be told to focus more on the resurrection and less on the lighting, hahah.

I might gently suggest that the practice be discontinued next year.

Apologies for hijacking thread.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:42:32 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »

I think if somebody did that at my church I might actually request a redo.
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to worry about that at your parish Alveus Cheesy

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »

We keep our church dark during Great Week (not so much during the Holy Unction Service on Wednesday afternoon and evening), darkest after the procession of Holy and Great Friday, conducted on Thursday evening--people complain because they can't see to read their service books.  More lighting beginning during the Lamentations on Friday evening and the Vesperal Liturgy of Saturday morning; the brightest possible after the chanting of Christ is Risen at Midnight.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 12:47:23 AM »

In my parish, there was darkness (no light except for candles) on Holy Thursday evening, and of course there is the preparatory 'lights out' before the candles on Holy Saturday evening. I believe this is to show us that Christ is the Light.  Smiley
totally.  I could NOT SEE A THING in the altar on Holy Saturday evening.  I was scolded by the priest for lighting the lighter so I could see which vestment was mine  Cheesy  the only light on Pascha is the Paschal flame, which is used to light the Church after (or while, in most cases) it is processed with by the faithful.  that is...except for the candle that burns before the offerings on the table of oblation.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags: Holy Week 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: