OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 04:09:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Shenouda III asks Copts to cease protests  (Read 567 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: May 15, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »

Pope Shenouda III of the Coptic Orthodox Church urged the Coptic faithful to stop holding protests outside the State's television network office.

From the article:
In a statement delivered to state TV on Sunday, Shenouda said "the situation has exceeded the expression of opinion," warning that the protests have been infiltrated by outsiders, which has led to battles and gun fights. "This will distort your image and Egypt's reputation, this sit-in has to be dispersed immediately", he said to the protesters.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:32 AM »

HH Pope Shenouda just retracted this statement after a meeting with two Coptic priests.  It seems that some information has not reached His Holiness accurately.  HH replied that after learning that the army did not arrest the imam responsible for inciting violence against the churches, then he shared that the Copts do have a right to protest, and that as a caring father, I am only worried about my children, but I will not command them to stop and go home.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
cs

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »

minasoliman,
Can you give a source for your information? I can't find any reference online stating that Pope Shenouda retracted.  Thanks.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »

minasoliman,
Can you give a source for your information? I can't find any reference online stating that Pope Shenouda retracted.  Thanks.

At the moment, I first heard this from an Egyptian news station, but I just found this article:

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/438939
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:14:33 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 12:31:30 PM »

Here you go...this is the original source I heard it from, from Fr. Mettias Nasr:

http://youtu.be/RjbD8uq1V-Q

Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church  Pope Shenouda III  Egypt  protests 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: