OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 12:17:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Orthodox Anniversary  (Read 2035 times) Average Rating: 0
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« on: June 07, 2004, 04:22:11 PM »

The BOC is celebrating a happy anniversary on the 20th June, the 10th Anniversary of the union within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate.

I had dinner with my bishop this evening and it seems like it should be a great day. Its a joint celebration with the Eritrean community in London who are celebrating the enthronement of their new Patriarch.

I'm on welcoming people at the door duty. Should have a good mix of bishops and priests from a wide variety of Churches celebrating with us. Not least +Angaelos of the Coptic Orthodox.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 04:46:06 PM »

Congratulations on this milestone!!

anatasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 05:42:18 PM »

Congratulations to my brothers and sisters in the BOC and the Eritrean Orthodox Church!  It is truly wonderful that you are holding these celebrations together, as it illustrates the Universal character of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.  May God bless your efforts!

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 06:43:06 PM »

What was the BOC before it came under the Coptic Patriarchate?

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 02:19:48 PM »

It was an 'independent', quite serious Orthodox Church, 'vagante' as others would call it.

It had its origins in 1866 in the consecration of a French man - Jules Ferrette - by the Syrian Orthodox as a bishop for the West with a view not to introducing Syrian Orthodoxy but rather restoring the Orthodox Church to the West and thereby being a focus for Church reconciliation and unity.

Of course the Anglicans were having none of that! And threatened any priests who had anything to do with him with discipline. He did gather some followers though - especially since ecumenism based on historic Apostolic Christianity was in the air.

Anyhow, cut the story short. Small church. Many years of struggling on. Abandoned by Mother Church. Present bishop a very sound man. Relationship develops with Copts. Union with Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate achieved.

In fact 25 years earlier the Copts had already united a French 'vagante' group with the Patriarchate and this is flourishing in France as a French language Orthodox mission to French people. So the Copts had a history of imaginative acts of pastoral and missionary endeavor.

My bishop and other members of the BOC have just returned from a pilgrimage to Egypt, where, as ever, they were welcomed as completely members of the COP. Indeed my own priest was in tears remembering how moving the trip was for him.

I first met this group about 14 years ago and was impressed by their seriousness and the lack of cult-like attributes. They were open and friendly and never tried to convert me in a negative sense, and they were always aware that they needed to be in a relationship with wider Orthodoxy. In fact my own bishop wrote publically that he would be willing to give up his episcopate if it was necessary to bring about that reunion which was required for the spiritual wellbeing of the people in his care. When I read that I knew he was not like many other bishops - in name only - who care for no-one and heap up empty titles.

As far as I can say joining the COP was the best thing possible and has been a treasure house of blessings from the beginning.

Peter

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 02:22:46 PM »

Congratulations to my brothers and sisters in the BOC and the Eritrean Orthodox Church!  It is truly wonderful that you are holding these celebrations together, as it illustrates the Universal character of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.  May God bless your efforts!

Hopefully there will be Eritreans, Ethiopians, Indians, Syrians, Armenians, Copts, British Orthodox, Greeks, Roman Catholics, Eastern Catholics and many more.

On the subject of universality I was moved when blessed to be present at the enthronement of Patriarch Mesrob II of Istanbul that bishops and metropolitans from all of our Churches were present and laid hands on him, while H.A.H. Patriarch Bartholomew sat enthroned in the Church. It was very moving and there was a great sense of that universality of the Church.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 02:23:02 PM by peterfarrington » Logged

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 02:32:30 PM »

"On the subject of universality I was moved when blessed to be present at the enthronement of Patriarch Mesrob II of Istanbul that bishops and metropolitans from all of our Churches were present and laid hands on him, while H.A.H. Patriarch Bartholomew sat enthroned in the Church. It was very moving and there was a great sense of that universality of the Church."

This is interesting, I assume this was at the Armenian Patriarchate in Istanbul?

Brendan

B
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 02:43:43 PM »

In the Cathedral rather than the Patriarchate, yes. And then H.A.H. addressed the congregation and then H.H. Mesrob did. It was rather nice that H.A.H. spoke of 'another' Patriarch of Constantinople, but H.H. said that H.A.H. was the Patriarch of Constantinople and that he was the Patriarch of Istanbul - and of course he is strictly since the Armenian Patriarchate was not established until some decades after 1453.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 03:42:16 PM »

On the subject of universality I was moved when blessed to be present at the enthronement of Patriarch Mesrob II of Istanbul that bishops and metropolitans from all of our Churches were present and laid hands on him, while H.A.H. Patriarch Bartholomew sat enthroned in the Church. It was very moving and there was a great sense of that universality of the Church.

Peter

It would seem this was a very ecumenical experience, indeed...

or

a reflection of the old Turkish law that holds the Greek Orthodox Patriarch to be the head of ALL Christians in Turkey.

If the latter, how ironic that unity is fostered by a Turkish law  Smiley.

Demetri

{Spelling edit}
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 09:05:23 PM by +æ-ü+¦-â-ä+++¦+++«-é » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 04:06:01 PM »

Why should the EP HAH Bartholomew not be present. I imagine that he knows HH Mesrob very well, and my own bishop has been a private guest of the EP each year when he visits HH Mesrob. I am sure the EP HAH Bartholomew knows the distinction between participating liturgically and offering fraternal support. On this occasion it was quite clear to all that he was offering fraternal support not participating liturgically.

We have it easy in the West - perhaps in those countries suffering persecution there is benefit from standing WITH fellow Christians where one can than playing the enemies game. The Byzantine and Coptic Orthodox in Egypt also have close relations because they are also churches under pressure together. Likewise the Syrian and Antiochean Orthodox.

Also I'm not sure that the Millet laws still apply in Turkey, not least because it is supposed to be both secular, democratic and modern. The head of the Armenian community has always been the Armenian Patriarch of Istanbul. The Armenians - AFAIR - were always a separate millet, and of course they numbered over a million at the beginning of the last century.

Anyhow - ecumenical yes, but good ecumenism - I don't think it had anything to do with Turkish law.

Peter

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 05:03:44 PM »

congratulations to the BOC.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Tags: British Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: