OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 12:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Rugs  (Read 4077 times) Average Rating: 0
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« on: May 15, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »

Hi

Does anyone know where to get the type of throw rugs that we see in Orthodox Churches?  I am trying to find a smaller version for my prayer corner, if it does not cost and arm and a leg.  The trouble is that when I google "prayer rug," I have a lot of hits pertaining to islamic prayer rugs, which I am trying to stay away from.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »

I went to several Church Supply sites, but couldn't come up with anything, sorry. The Russian old believers use something called a podruchnik, but that is only for the hands and face I think.

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »

I am not sure if you want to go to a local carpet store, but they may have smaller segments for less money.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:27:04 PM »

What do you mean by "a prayer rug"?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »

What do you mean by "a prayer rug"?

I think it's a rug that you pray on.  Tongue  I guess not everyone wants to get a nickname like "camel knees"...

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »

The special kind carpet you are searching for is called either "rug" or "carpet". They can sometimes be hard to find as they are sold exclusively at a place called "local carpet store".

Grin Grin I'm so sorry, I'm trying to be funny when obviously I'm not.

Seriously though there is nothing to it. A carpet is a carpet, and the ones used in churches are also bog ordinary carpets.

XB! ...by the way
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 02:39:29 PM »

The special kind carpet you are searching for is called either "rug" or "carpet". They can sometimes be hard to find as they are sold exclusively at a place called "local carpet store".

Grin Grin I'm so sorry, I'm trying to be funny when obviously I'm not.

Seriously though there is nothing to it. A carpet is a carpet, and the ones used in churches are also bog ordinary carpets.

XB! ...by the way

I purchased a plain one from Wal-Mart for about $15-$20. Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »

Walmart? That just seems so... so... profane! Shouldn't we be buying these things from places with names like "Eastern Orthodox Christian Goods," having them blessed by a priest after sitting on an altar for 40 days, not allowing pets to touch them, keeping them out of bathrooms and utility rooms even when we want to clean them, etc.?  Huh  Tongue

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »

Walmart? That just seems so... so... profane! Shouldn't we be buying these things from places with names like "Eastern Orthodox Christian Goods," having them blessed by a priest after sitting on an altar for 40 days, not allowing pets to touch them, keeping them out of bathrooms and utility rooms even when we want to clean them, etc.?  Huh  Tongue

A rug on an Altar... Tongue The only thing that goes on my rug is me (without shoes on). Smiley

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »

The trouble is that when I google "prayer rug," I have a lot of hits pertaining to islamic prayer rugs, which I am trying to stay away from.

Why? Islamic prayer rugs are usually very good value for money (you can get really nice ones for less than $20), perfect size for a prayer corner, and it's not difficult to find plain ones without Islamic symbols that would be suitable for Christian use.

If it has no overtly Islamic symbols, and is not used to recite Islamic prayers, it's just a rug.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 04:19:59 PM »

I just have a small Persian looking rug at my prayer corner that I stand on. I bought it from Meijer (kind of like Wal-Mart but not as sleazy and more local to Michigan and a few other states near by) for pretty cheap. I'd say stay away from Wal-Mart and buy a rug at a local store or online if you can't find a local store.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 04:26:05 AM »

A shia Pakistanian Friend Has rug for Praying on, Never noticed any islamic designs on it ,  just  a niche designs when he points it, to pray towards ...and thats North East.....He forgot to put it away once, after his prayers ,i happen to come over that day for a visit and walked all over it with my shoes , he was so upstep...He put it in the washer after that, never left his rug out anymore after that...  Grin

The trouble is that when I google "prayer rug," I have a lot of hits pertaining to islamic prayer rugs, which I am trying to stay away from.

Why? Islamic prayer rugs are usually very good value for money (you can get really nice ones for less than $20), perfect size for a prayer corner, and it's not difficult to find plain ones without Islamic symbols that would be suitable for Christian use.

If it has no overtly Islamic symbols, and is not used to recite Islamic prayers, it's just a rug.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:32:32 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 06:40:25 AM »

when our church got new carpets, they were throwing out the scraps, and now i have genuine left-over free church carpet by the side of my bed  Grin
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 07:42:29 AM »

Islamic prayer rugs are usually very good value for money (you can get really nice ones for less than $20), perfect size for a prayer corner, and it's not difficult to find plain ones without Islamic symbols that would be suitable for Christian use.

Thank you for an idea. Middle Eastern-ish carpets are usually quite expensive here in Finland and it has never occurred to me to seek for a prayer rug. I hope that they are sold for a cheaper price than regular carpets. Of course prayer rugs might be rather small but they are still quite beautiful,

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 08:25:18 AM »

Christ is risen!

You have to know what you are looking at: I cannot tell you how many Churches have the Islamic Creed in them because they cannot read Arabic calligraphy.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 08:47:19 AM »

Han er sannelig oppstanden!

You have to know what you are looking at: I cannot tell you how many Churches have the Islamic Creed in them because they cannot read Arabic calligraphy.

That's surprising. I have trouble reading Arabic calligraphy, but when I see it on a rug I tend to assume that it's something other than the Jesus Prayer.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »

Cheesy
 Wink
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 01:46:58 PM »

Is that sarcasm?
If not... Hey, if it's blessed, it's ok, it doesn't matter where you get it. As far as I'm aware, even the churches in Greece have normal rugs and they aren't "special" from Orthodox stores.
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »

As far as I'm aware, even the churches in Greece have normal rugs and they aren't "special" from Orthodox stores.
Same at my temple. Smiley

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »

Han er sannelig oppstanden!

That's surprising. I have trouble reading Arabic calligraphy, but when I see it on a rug I tend to assume that it's something other than the Jesus Prayer.

I HATE reading Arabic calligraphy. Anything outside of typewritten Arabic, I can't figure out. I just tell people that any inscription is the shahada.   Grin

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »

just keep working at it. once you start figuring out that the letters all have fairly standard calligraphic forms, you can start working them out.
my arabic-english Bible has amazing calligraphy on the front saying 'holy book' (kitaab al muqaddas).

remember that there were Christians in the arabian peninsula very early on (galatians 1:17), lets hold on to all that is beautiful in that culture  Smiley
al masihu qaam!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 04:11:28 PM »

Is that sarcasm?
If not... Hey, if it's blessed, it's ok, it doesn't matter where you get it. As far as I'm aware, even the churches in Greece have normal rugs and they aren't "special" from Orthodox stores.

Is the answer to this question... yes? Smiley

Yes, I was just joking about it, and partly poking fun at myself, because I did spend a bit of time looking around the net for an genuine and authentic Orthodox prayer rug   angel

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 10:16:42 PM »

My former parish used oriental rugs.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Alcuin

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 11:51:24 AM »

Are these used similar to the more famous prayer rugs in Islam? I wasn't aware of them, it's interesting.
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 09:13:14 PM »

I agree that they are beautiful and you can get some for a good price, but if you're going to use it in conjunction with prayer or in an icon corner make sure you know what you have. Most have illustrations such as the Ka'aba, al-Aqsa Mosque, etc. If there are inscriptions on them, know what it says, because it's most likely the Shahdah (Islamic profession of faith), Mohammed's name, or ayah's from the Quran. If it's void of these things, then it's just an ordinary rug and should be OK.
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »

Christ is risen!

I have seen that once in a church. There was a small rug and noticed calligraphy around the edges, which I noticed was Ayat ul-Kursi. While it's a beautiful statement attributed to God, it's a Koranic verse,  which really does not need to be in an Orthodox temple.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »

If Orthodox Christians want a prayers rug, Get one with a double headed Byzantine Eagle on it...i bought two [Tsrnagorska/Srbske Krune] Montenegro/serbian crowns, with the byzantine two headed eagles on top...One i wear proudly everywhere ,though a Ethiopian Orthodox Christian approched me and asked if i was clergy,he noticed the hat ,it really does resemble the kamilavka's the Orthodox Clergy wear  , I said no ,and showed him the byzantine gold embroidered double headed eagle on top.. .... Grin  But never the less i still wear it proudly ,where ever i go.... Grin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:58:44 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »

If Orthodox Christians want a prayers rug, Get one with a double headed Byzantine Eagle on it..

They give you those type of rugs only when you become a bishop Wink

Joseph
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 12:41:14 AM »

If Orthodox Christians want a prayers rug, Get one with a double headed Byzantine Eagle on it..

One May be able to purchased them in Serbian shops, or if not ,in Orthodox religious Goods stores that seem sell about everthing....... police
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:45:39 AM by stashko » Logged

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 02:26:04 AM »

One May be able to purchased them in Serbian shops, or if not ,in Orthodox religious Goods stores that seem sell about everthing....... police

Those round rugs with the eagles on them are for Bishops to stand on, they should not be used by non-bishops.

Joseph
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 02:47:55 AM »

Those round rugs with the eagles on them are for Bishops to stand on, they should not be used by non-bishops.

Why shouldn't they.....What's wrong just using one to kneel and pray on......The Byzatine two Head eagle is on alot of things....Shirts ,jackets ,Flags, My hat , cups ,plates so and so ....... Huh

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: