OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God as an oppurtunist.  (Read 291 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: May 14, 2011, 10:33:11 PM »

I have had this notion that when I pray for something to happen, whether it be a material item or a significant other, I see that God opens up the oppurtunity for me and it is on me to take up on it.

For example I had been praying for awhile to have a new woman in my life to get my closer to Him, and one day that oppurtunity made itself known...but I had to take the choice to take it or not.

Does God open doors like this? What's the Orthdox understanding?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »

It happens ALL the time!

...only, often times people don't notice the opportunity....or give credit to God for giving it to them.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:40:35 AM »

I think God doesn't actively present opportunities so much as allows humans to create situations where we can better cooperate with God. This keeps the free will of people from being violated, but still lets God help us. So, we find in First Timothy:

"Take heed unto thyself and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee." (1 Tim. 4:16)

There's the opportunity you spoke of--salvation--but it comes through a human instrument. Nonetheless, as Paul says elsewhere:

"For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Phil. 2:13)

So it is up to us to cooperate with God: God gives us the grace to desire good things and make those things actually happen in our lives, but at the same time it is also us that is participating. And so when these fruits are seen by others, it also gives them an opportunity to respond. Of course, someone might say that God sometimes directly encourages us and gives us opportunities, but I wonder how often this happens. With the exception of Jesus (which required a certain type of intervention), God seems content using humans as instruments to influence others, whether prophets, or patriarchs, or kings, or apostles, or priests, or grandma, or whoever else. Thought of another way, God could conceivably transmit to every one of us the truth by direct divine revelation, and insofar as we each individually had the capacity to receive it, that might work; yet he has chosen to go the long route, so to speak, using preachers, books, prayers, even nature itself.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:41:11 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:17:19 AM »

God opens doors all the time. The only problem is that 1) we are often unable, or unwilling, to recognize a door when we see one; and 2) having recognized one, we are reluctant to walk through.

That reminds me of a remark of-- I believe--Goethe(?): Every day we are presented with myriad golden opportunities, each cleverly disguised as an insurmountable problem.

Or something like that.

Incidentally, I believe you're using "opportunist" incorrectly.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:22:07 AM by sainthieu » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: