OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 02:13:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible scholar claims half of New Testament is forged  (Read 2199 times) Average Rating: 0
HumbledDaily

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« on: May 14, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »

Thoughts?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/13/half-of-new-testament-forged-bible-scholar-says/?iref=obnetwork

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »

Roll Eyes

There is always someone who says things like this. It's funny how the claims of the detractors also contradict each other, whereas the Scripture continues to stand the test of time.

Also, if the Apostles, who were also busy doing things like preaching, and being bishops,  Roll Eyes had some secretary or other helpers to write things down for them, so what? If a person has an assistant, that makes him a forger?  Huh

Then again, Ehrman can't support the Gospel, because if he did, he'd have to stop cranking out his factory of facile 'this isn't really what it says' books, which cater to the confused.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »

I think Bart D. Ehrman has been trying his darndest to pick up where the Jesus Seminar left off. Nonetheless, because I'm curious, I will buy the book.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:35:10 PM »

This guy again? Seriously?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:36:54 PM »

What a cheap attention whore Bart Ehrman is. I knew exactly who was behind this just by looking at the headline.

So he's got another embarrassing book out? Nice.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »

At some point Ehrmen was supposedly a respectable scholar. Now all he does as present Minimalist teaching as fact.

Given the efforts the early Church put into avoiding canonization of pseudopigraphy, I have a hard time believing that many books/epistles slipped through.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »

Quote from: Kasatkin fan
Given the efforts the early Church put into avoiding canonization of pseudopigraphy, I have a hard time believing that many books/epistles slipped through.

True. His complaint seems to be, 'Hey, I didn't see them write it, and we don't have photos!...'  Angry  Tongue

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:29:56 PM »

New Testament scholar Ben Witherington III's review of this might be worth a look (Witherington III, mentioned also in the article linked in the original post, recently debated the author publicly on this topic. Whereas the thread title has "Half of the NT was forged," Witherington III argues *none* of the NT was forged *by Bart Ehrman's own definition of forged*).

I haven't read Ehrman's latest (although I have reviewed an earlier book of his here). Perhaps I'll add a bit more later.

For now here is an excerpt:
Quote from: Ben Witherington III
What I will be arguing as this review goes on, is that Bart is wrong, not about the many forgeries out there in antiquity.  He is too narrow in his thinking about what the name label on a scroll  might mean,  and is therefore wrong that we have forgeries in the  NT.  No, actually we do not.  We have documents authored by those so named, we have documents written by scribes on behalf of those so named, we have anonymous documents later mistakenly ascribed to Paul (e.g. Hebrews)  or John son of Zebedee (e.g. Gospel of John, Revelation of John), we have composite documents that list the first or most important contributing source.   In none of these cases are we dealing with forgery as defined by Bart Ehrman...

...what we mean by putting someone’s name on a document today was not exactly the same as what was meant in antiquity.   Sometimes a document was named or labeled after its most famous contributor  (e.g. Moses when it came to the Pentateuch, or  Matthew when it came to the Gospel in his name).    Sometimes a document would be named after its most famous source (e.g. 2 Peter which has a Petrine source).  Sometimes a document would be named after the person who actually wrote it— say Luke, in Luke-Acts.  Now all of these practices were legitimate scribal practices, when they were putting tags on ancient documents to identify them and their sort or source or author.  Van der Tooren is worth a close look on some of these things, and one can also read the Introductions in my commentaries on the Pastorals or on 1-2 Peter and Jude....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:38:48 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »

Honestly this guy is just making noise just to fund his wallet. His "scholarship" has been widely discredited as fringe. His heterodox beliefs collapsed one day and now he seeks revenge through venom. Ehrman presupposed that the Bible was an innerant and infallible book, which is in direct contradiction to the actual Church that gave birth to the New Testament and the Bible itself.

It's funny how he mentions that half of the NT was forged, yet Plutarch who was a biographer during the antiquity period never signed a single manuscript and no scholar doubts the authoriship. But according to Ehrman's logic, they must be forgeries.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »

BTW isn't the NT practically 99.5% accurate based on the various manuscripts that we have? I'm sorry but the NT is about as reliable as it comes when it was being copied.

And in any case didn't the Church Fathers know of the inconsistencies within the NT, yet it still was an accurate reflection of what the Church professed to be true?

Ehrman would neeed to provide substatinal evidence that the Orthodox Church fell into such heresy that it cannot be trusted. He's yet to provide a compelling case.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 10:33:23 PM »

I totally forgot about that BW3 blog post, thank you xariskai. What a fantastic rebuttal.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »

I think Bart D. Ehrman has been trying his darndest to pick up where the Jesus Seminar left off. Nonetheless, because I'm curious, I will buy the book.

You'd do better to put that money towards a homeless shelter, rather than in that man's pocket.

...just saying.

Don't support him with your dollars.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »

Yeah, fwiw I took the book out of my amazon.com cart after it only being in there a few minutes.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 10:51:39 PM »

Cheesy 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 12:08:51 AM »

Protestant textual criticism's logical conclusion.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »

Yeah, fwiw I took the book out of my amazon.com cart after it only being in there a few minutes.

Whew.  Cool

His stuff is unfortunately pretty popular with the library. There's always a segment of the population that will believe any theory of uncertainty.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 01:27:17 AM »

If you want to save money, you can check out a copy from the library or try inter-library loan if your library does not have it.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »

Protestant textual criticism's logical conclusion.

Pithy and to the point!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 02:30:42 PM »

What I will be arguing as this review goes on, is that Bart is wrong, not about the many forgeries out there in antiquity.  He is too narrow in his thinking about what the name label on a scroll  might mean,  and is therefore wrong that we have forgeries in the  NT.  No, actually we do not.  We have documents authored by those so named, we have documents written by scribes on behalf of those so named, we have anonymous documents later mistakenly ascribed to Paul (e.g. Hebrews)  or John son of Zebedee (e.g. Gospel of John, Revelation of John), we have composite documents that list the first or most important contributing source.   In none of these cases are we dealing with forgery as defined by Bart Ehrman...

...what we mean by putting someone’s name on a document today was not exactly the same as what was meant in antiquity.   Sometimes a document was named or labeled after its most famous contributor  (e.g. Moses when it came to the Pentateuch, or  Matthew when it came to the Gospel in his name).    Sometimes a document would be named after its most famous source (e.g. 2 Peter which has a Petrine source).  Sometimes a document would be named after the person who actually wrote it— say Luke, in Luke-Acts.  Now all of these practices were legitimate scribal practices, when they were putting tags on ancient documents to identify them and their sort or source or author.  Van der Tooren is worth a close look on some of these things, and one can also read the Introductions in my commentaries on the Pastorals or on 1-2 Peter and Jude....

If Ehrman is not aware of these basic facts, how does he get published? Surely there must be more to his argument no matter how incorrect it is.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »

If Ehrman is not aware of these basic facts, how does he get published? Surely there must be more to his argument no matter how incorrect it is.

Not really.  The fact is Ehrman is not arguing anything "new", he's just rehashing late 19th and early 20th century arguments that have been discredited in actual Biblical scholarship for more than 50 years.  Works get published not because arguments hold weight but because publishers know those books will sell.  At least in the commercial press.  In academia works can get published not because the argument holds weight but because it supports the popular theories and dear mythologies of the reigning school of thought.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
HumbledDaily

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »

New Testament scholar Ben Witherington III's review of this might be worth a look (Witherington III, mentioned also in the article linked in the original post, recently debated the author publicly on this topic. Whereas the thread title has "Half of the NT was forged," Witherington III argues *none* of the NT was forged *by Bart Ehrman's own definition of forged*).

I haven't read Ehrman's latest (although I have reviewed an earlier book of his here). Perhaps I'll add a bit more later.

Thank you! That explains a lot.  Smiley

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »

It's important to remember than in the 19th and early 20th century (as FormerReformer alludes), it was common and fashionable in biblical scholarship to say Jesus of Nazareth never existed and that Christianity is nothing more than mythology.

Unfortunately for these people, over time, the accuracy of the New Testament on non-theological claims has been increasingly confirmed by archaeology and scholarship of non-Christian contemporary sources.

The moment someone even tries the "Jesus never existed" or "the New Testament can't be true because it was purportedly written by illiterates" thing, I just stop listening.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »

The moment someone even tries the "Jesus never existed" or "the New Testament can't be true because it was purportedly written by illiterates" thing, I just stop listening.
This has got to be one of the worst arguments in the history of the world on any subject, yet has the distinctive flavour of something that would come out of modern academia. Just because someone was a poor illiterate fisherman (and even that was only a small number of the apostles), does not mean they can never learn to be literate.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »

Not really.  The fact is Ehrman is not arguing anything "new", he's just rehashing late 19th and early 20th century arguments that have been discredited in actual Biblical scholarship for more than 50 years.  Works get published not because arguments hold weight but because publishers know those books will sell.  At least in the commercial press.  In academia works can get published not because the argument holds weight but because it supports the popular theories and dear mythologies of the reigning school of thought.
Exactly, his arguments are simply oldhat and have been refuted in modern Biblical scholarship. The only reason he gets attention is because people simply do not do their homework and/or choose not to. It kind of reminds me of the sad attempt atheists have on holding onto a Jesus myth theory which has been thorougly debunked. In fact many of those myth comparisions have simply been made up.

As I said, Ehrman would have to demonstrate significant evidence as to why these documents would be forged as a springboard for manipulation or control.

Either Christianity is the crulest hoax ever created or it is the turth. There is simply no gray matter about it.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 09:03:48 PM »

This guy again? Seriously?

My sentiments exactly.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »

Ehrman's a hack. The man is just desperate for attention since no one listens to him anymore.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: